Hey Guys!

I was wondering if I could get some help picking out a new video/graphics card for my desktop PC.

This is my current rig: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01959711&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4120194

Except the video card I have installed is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143185

The problem I have is the whole computer itself is extremely cramped. It took hours installing the 9800gt and when I did, I found out I broke the small fan on it and had to purchase a PCI fan attachment.

Are there any video cards around the $200 range that can run games like Skyrim, Fallout, GW2 etc. on high and will FIT inside the computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
11 answers Last reply
More about guys
  1. You could probably get a slightly used GTX580 for that money.
    However, keep in mind that if the current card hardly fits inside the case, any card that would be able to handle Skyrim at 'high' would most likely not fit at all. Besides, consider the fact that the PSU that comes with the rig is inadequate for any serious graphics card out there.
  2. arlight1 said:
    I was wondering if I could get some help picking out a new video/graphics card for my desktop PC.

    This is my current rig: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01959711&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4120194

    Except the video card I have installed is this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143185

    The problem I have is the whole computer itself is extremely cramped. It took hours installing the 9800gt and when I did, I found out I broke the small fan on it and had to purchase a PCI fan attachment.

    Are there any video cards around the $200 range that can run games like Skyrim, Fallout, GW2 etc. on high and will FIT inside the computer?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


    :hello: yeah there is several options that may fit you as long as i know the 9800 is around 9" long, so most cards will fit on your case your system as a stock psu of 300w, so that will limit you on what you can get, so i would advise to replace that psu along with the card, it will also help you for future upgrades, here are some options:

    HD 7770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993
    hd 7850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609
    gtx 650ti: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130840

    and some psu recommendations:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159125
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182277
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

    hope it helps you.
  3. The strongest card that will run with your 300w PSU is a 7750.
    It is about a $90 card that should fit about as well as the 9800GT.
    But it is not that much stronger, and nowhere near as strong as a $200 card.
    You are looking at a psu replacement, probably about a 500w unit.

    I have no idea why you had a problem with the size of your case.
    If needed, you could replace the case with a larger one for <$50. Perhaps something like an Antec 100.

    A good $200 class card might be the GTX660 or amd 7850.
    Either would need about a 450w psu. Look to Antec, seasonic, corsair, PC P&C, or xfx for a quality unit.
  4. Thank you for the quick responses guys.

    Yeah, I will probably end up upgrading the power supply as well then. Maybe the case too.
    The case itself is fine, but it was just a pain installing anything because there was so much stuff in the way.

    By the way, how does the CPU look? Is it good for now or should I just give up on this rig or...?

    What would be the best card around $200 if I got this PSU?:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159125

    And my resolution is always run at 1600x900 if that matters. Thanks again guys!
  5. any of the cards i posted will run on that psu, and any one songle card (but the gtx 690) would run on that psu with no problems. btw, a little advise, consider spending 15 more dlls and get the corsair psu, thats one of the best brands you will find. n.n, and any card would have no problems running on your actual cpu.
  6. Dnx said:
    any of the cards i posted will run on that psu, and any one songle card (but the gtx 690) would run on that psu with no problems. btw, a little advise, consider spending 15 more dlls and get the corsair psu, thats one of the best brands you will find. n.n


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
    This one? ^

    Why? its 500watt with a 120mm fan. Just wondering, but in which aspects is that one better than the one I selected?
  7. the brand, corsair its well known for his high quiality on their products, i mean there is nothing wrong with the coolmax which is also well rated among buyers, any of those will works for you with no probs at all.
  8. GTX 660 is a pretty small GPU, it doesn't require too much watt and it comes in at a Price about 200$ if you can find a cheap one.

    It's about 5% slower than Radeon 7870, it would be the ideal choice. Good luck! :)
  9. The corsair is just higher quality unit. Better power quality, a more "true" rating on the actual wattage. Also a poor quality PSU can take out your whole computer, so I have read. Never skimp on the PSU, always buy the best unit you can afford in my opinion. As far as your CPU, it should be pretty good for the cards you are looking at. It's not cutting edge but it will feed the gpu well enough to keep you going. You would be looking at a MOBO upgrade also if you were to upgrade your cpu.
  10. Hmmmm, interesting. Very well, I shall purchase the Corsair PSU.
    And the:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609

    to go with it. Hopefully installation wont be much of a hassle. Thank you so much for the help guys!
  11. arlight1 said:
    Hmmmm, interesting. Very well, I shall purchase the Corsair PSU.
    And the:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609

    to go with it. Hopefully installation wont be much of a hassle. Thank you so much for the help guys!


    :hello: wise choice n.n also the xfx card looks super pretty XD haha, just to be sure check the size of the card so you wont have problems with the room on your case its: 9.5" x 4.4" x 1.5", hope it helps :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product