Sign in with
Your question

Alienware x51- new case for better upgradablity?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Cases
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2013 9:42:23 PM

I am looking to tear this sucker down and use the components in a new case with more bays to increase upgradability(I want to add a HDD to the system). and I am not sure if this is even do-able, but I am almost willing to bet it is. I am not even sure the mobo in this system is capable of adding a HDD to complement the SSD. another option I was thinking of: I have a 3TB External Drive USB 3.0. can this be plugged into the mobo using standard cables? input, please and thank you.

Alienware X51

Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz (8MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
16GB (2 X 8GB) Dual Channel DDR3 up to 1600MHz
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
256GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

More about : alienware x51 case upgradablity

August 17, 2013 9:32:11 AM

I have an alienware x51 also and have thought of this option but im sure part of the reason you want to do this is so you can upgrade the graphics card in years to come, but unless graphics cards start needing less power the power supply is still going to hold you back (at 330 watts) this might be a good idea except if you ever wanted to upgrade your graphics card you would also need a new power supply. It is your choice I just wanted to make sure you new what you were getting yourself into. Hope this helped :) 
m
l
!