Closed

Better Monitor or GPU?

So I could get a really nice monitor (ViewSonic VP2365) and a decent graphics card (MSI 7870 Twin Frozr III.

Or I could downgrade the monitor and up the graphics card to a 7950. Opinions?
11 answers Last reply
More about better monitor
  1. My rule has always been the display is the most important part of a PC build, then GPU then CPU on down. Once I went with a 30" 2560 x 1600 display Ive never looked back. There is no substitute.

2. Do it. The 7870 is a very capable GPU and should be able to play most games at 1080p and max settings. And you can always upgrade the video card again in a year or two if you feel you need more power. I have an IPS monitor and once you switch to them you don't want to go back to TN.
  3. i'd like to say it depends on how much of a stickler you are to game settings vs lcd screen displays, as both attend to quality of viewing pleasure.
  4. Ok.
    This monitor and no SSD or worse monitor (BenQ V2420) and SSD?
  5. if you've never used a ssd then no ssd
    if you're used to ssd then you can't help
    i would go with no ssd
  6. bartsome said:
    Ok.
    This monitor and no SSD or worse monitor (BenQ V2420) and SSD?

This depends on your preferences. For me, All I put on the SSD is my OS (about 21GB), and whatever game I'm focused on at that point. However, I would throw the SSD out for a better monitor ANY day. The display is the most important part of the rig, as said above.
  7. Every build is give and take. If you get a fantastic high res monitor and a video card lacking the power to give you great detail and FPS - what is the point. What is the main purpose of this computer? If gaming - what games?
    -Bruce
  8. No opinion on topic, but if you're looking for an IPS panel monitor, take a look at the Korean IPS monitors, such as the Achieva Shimian, the Yamakasi Catleap Q270, and a couple others. They're 2560x1440, 27" for roughly the same price as the viewsonic you're considering.

Oh, there's also the monitors from overlord computers, but I don't know if they ship overseas.
  9. dish_moose said:
    Every build is give and take. If you get a fantastic high res monitor and a video card lacking the power to give you great detail and FPS - what is the point. What is the main purpose of this computer? If gaming - what games?
    -Bruce

Gaming. Games such as BF3, Metro 2033. Just FPS games in general.
  10. Bump.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Monitors Graphics