Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Better Monitor or GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
December 9, 2012 6:12:25 PM

My rule has always been the display is the most important part of a PC build, then GPU then CPU on down. Once I went with a 30" 2560 x 1600 display Ive never looked back. There is no substitute.

a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 6:12:52 PM

Do it. The 7870 is a very capable GPU and should be able to play most games at 1080p and max settings. And you can always upgrade the video card again in a year or two if you feel you need more power. I have an IPS monitor and once you switch to them you don't want to go back to TN.
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 9, 2012 6:14:02 PM

i'd like to say it depends on how much of a stickler you are to game settings vs lcd screen displays, as both attend to quality of viewing pleasure.
December 9, 2012 6:16:22 PM

Ok.
This monitor and no SSD or worse monitor (BenQ V2420) and SSD?
December 9, 2012 8:53:38 PM

if you've never used a ssd then no ssd
if you're used to ssd then you can't help
i would go with no ssd
December 9, 2012 9:24:33 PM

bartsome said:
Ok.
This monitor and no SSD or worse monitor (BenQ V2420) and SSD?

This depends on your preferences. For me, All I put on the SSD is my OS (about 21GB), and whatever game I'm focused on at that point. However, I would throw the SSD out for a better monitor ANY day. The display is the most important part of the rig, as said above.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 9, 2012 9:42:12 PM

Every build is give and take. If you get a fantastic high res monitor and a video card lacking the power to give you great detail and FPS - what is the point. What is the main purpose of this computer? If gaming - what games?
-Bruce
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 9, 2012 9:56:52 PM

No opinion on topic, but if you're looking for an IPS panel monitor, take a look at the Korean IPS monitors, such as the Achieva Shimian, the Yamakasi Catleap Q270, and a couple others. They're 2560x1440, 27" for roughly the same price as the viewsonic you're considering.

Oh, there's also the monitors from overlord computers, but I don't know if they ship overseas.
December 10, 2012 6:43:27 PM

dish_moose said:
Every build is give and take. If you get a fantastic high res monitor and a video card lacking the power to give you great detail and FPS - what is the point. What is the main purpose of this computer? If gaming - what games?
-Bruce

Gaming. Games such as BF3, Metro 2033. Just FPS games in general.

December 11, 2012 8:35:32 AM

Bump.
!