Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU/GPU right combination to prevent bottleneck

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2012 6:20:03 PM

I have a sempron 145 2.8 GHz which i'll be overclocking soon. I want to get a HD radeon 6670 2gb 800MHz 480 stream processors. Will the GPU be able to perform at its best or will there be a bottleneck with the cpu.
also is there any chance of pcie2.1 not being compatible with 2.0 i know it is but i saw in a customer review that it's not which confused me
Thank you.

Best solution

December 9, 2012 7:06:43 PM

There is a chance that pcie 2.1 Radeons will not be compatible with some pcie 2.0 motherboards, though it is *very* rare. Much greater problem is pcie 1.0 (mobo) to pcie 2.1 (gpu). Personally, I really doubt there will be problems.

Regarding the bottleneck- yes, unfortunately there will be some.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Your cpu is only single core and even OCed it will perform merely (approximately) like Intel E1400, which is on the bottom of the list.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

On the other hand, HD 6670 is more like mid-range card, so there will be some bottlenecking.
However, you haven't stated if the Radeon you are buying has DD3 or DDR5 memory (DDR5 version being noticably faster). So if that card has DDR3 memory, and if you overclock your CPU well, bottlenecking won't be too bad.

I made an experiment with AMD Athlon 3500+ (single core) and Geforce GTX560. No matter what I did it performed poorly- Dragon Age 2 was unplayable even at 1280x1024, Star Craft 2 barely playable, Prey was abysmal and so on... Some games even create artifacts on single core CPUs- I couldn't run *any* Mass Effect game (including the first one).

Still, you may get by, but I think that it is time for a new CPU.
December 9, 2012 7:15:37 PM

Thank you for your honest reply. The card is DDR3. Also can you suggest a card-doesn't matter if it's less powerful to go with the sempron 145? maybe HD5450 or 6450? or maybe nVidia which i don't know much about
Related resources
Anonymous
December 9, 2012 7:29:02 PM

please do not get a discrete graphics card until you upgrade your cpu.

AMD Sempron 145
Quote:
The minimum frame rate of 14fps we saw with the Sempron 145 in our test system in Bad Company 2 at 1,920 x 1,080 was 26fps slower than the 40fps minimum we saw with the Phenom II X4 955 BE installed in the same test system. Thankfully, we could overclock the processor, pushing it all the way up to 3.9GHz using a vcore of 1.49V and a CPU/NB of 1.25V. Even at this clock speed, though, one core was still woefully inadequate.

Our time with the Sempron 145 was infuriating and demoralising. Unless you’re some kind of CPU masochist, we’d suggest buying a CPU that can keep up with today’s multithreaded applications.
December 9, 2012 7:35:09 PM

DDR3 version might be ok. The thing is to pay the least- you can get 6670 DDR3 for 55$.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I actually looked at Newegg for other affordable cards- and there aren't any cheaper options that are even worth looking at.
So, I'll change my recommendation- for 55$, why not? Just overclock that CPU and enjoy.

Btw, have you tried unlocking your CPU's second core? That would be perfect.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/294674-10-sempron-u...
December 9, 2012 7:46:58 PM

ok maybe i will just get some cheap card like GeForce EN210 for now and after some time when i'll have free time and a good credit upgrade both cpu and gpu ,what do you think? anyways thank you both of you guys
December 9, 2012 7:55:54 PM

Yes. A new rig with balanced components would be perfect- you can always visit again tom's forums for a system building advice within your budget. You can actually make a decent affordable gaming PC for 400-500 $.

Btw, are you now shopping for a gaming card or not? EN210 is *not* for gaming- it won't run *any* modern game. HD6670 is worlds faster than EN210. EN210 is merely for movies and the internet.
Anonymous
December 9, 2012 7:58:52 PM

prestoon said:
ok maybe i will just get some cheap card like GeForce EN210 for now and after some time when i'll have free time and a good credit upgrade both cpu and gpu ,what do you think? anyways thank you both of you guys

if you want cheap don't go any lower than
ZOTAC Synergy Edition GeForce GT 610 $29.99
$9.99 after $20.00 rebate card

i wouldn't spend a cent more until you get another cpu.
December 9, 2012 8:01:05 PM

yup sorry i had to give an example for cheap so i used that lol. anyways i can go for 6670 but now that i have decided to upgrade after a little while can i just go for say 6450 or maybe GT610 synergy or are they useless?
December 9, 2012 8:05:49 PM

Anonymous said:
if you want cheap don't go any lower than
ZOTAC Synergy Edition GeForce GT 610 $29.99
$9.99 after $20.00 rebate card

i wouldn't spend a cent more until you get another cpu.

good advice will surely consider that also any thoughts about 6450?
December 9, 2012 8:08:09 PM

Yes that Zotac would be perfect. Great find looniam !
It is on par with GT6800- Portal 2, Star Craft 2 and some other games will run nicely. It might actually serve you successfully until you get some money.
Enjoy.
December 9, 2012 8:11:36 PM

prestoon said:
good advice will surely consider that also any thoughts about 6450?

HD6450 is between gt610 and 6670 ddr3. gt610<hd6450<HD6670.

Get the cheapest one you can find out of these 3. Even gt610 will serve you great.
Anonymous
December 9, 2012 8:13:39 PM

prestoon said:
yup sorry i had to give an example for cheap so i used that lol. anyways i can go for 6670 but now that i have decided to upgrade after a little while can i just go for say 6450 or maybe GT610 synergy or are they useless?

there are a few things you will want to sort out before getting an "upgrade strategy"

first, what are you looking to do; gaming? heavy gaming?

then what motherboard do you have? can you upgrade to a phenom II x4 with it?

also what PSU do you have? decent? or is it a flaming brick like a diablotek?

say for instance you have a good motherboard that will support a PIIx4 and atleast a corsair CX430 PSU. then you may want to consider going for broke on the gpu by getting a 7750 or 7770 and dealing with a massive bottleneck until you get a better cpu.

but if you have a 350 watt POS power supply and will need to replace the motherboard before a cpu upgrade, well a barely adequate graphics card would be more appropriate.

hopefully that will spark a thought process for you as i have to go to the laundromat . . :lol: 
December 9, 2012 8:22:18 PM

Anonymous said:
there are a few things you will want to sort out before getting an "upgrade strategy"

first, what are you looking to do; gaming? heavy gaming?

then what motherboard do you have? can you upgrade to a phenom II x4 with it?

also what PSU do you have? decent? or is it a flaming brick like a diablotek?

say for instance you have a good motherboard that will support a PIIx4 and atleast a corsair CX430 PSU. then you may want to consider going for broke on the gpu by getting a 7750 or 7770 and dealing with a massive bottleneck until you get a better cpu.

but if you have a 350 watt POS power supply and will need to replace the motherboard before a cpu upgrade, well a barely adequate graphics card would be more appropriate.

hopefully that will spark a thought process for you as i have to go to the laundromat . . :lol: 

tbh what i meant by upgrade was a new setup mobo,cpu etc. Also what you said is true i agree it has to be well planned. it's just that i can use this one as a secondary for less heavy stuff but still relevant :) 
December 9, 2012 8:25:07 PM

djfv said:
HD6450 is between gt610 and 6670 ddr3. gt610<hd6450<HD6670.

Get the cheapest one you can find out of these 3. Even gt610 will serve you great.

if that is the case i would just go with 6450 for now as it's even cheaper than gt610. thanks for that comparison
EDIT: sorry it's cheaper because i was comparing 1 gb to 2 gb memory.
December 9, 2012 8:33:17 PM

prestoon said:
if that is the case i would just go with 6450 for now as it's even cheaper than gt610. thanks for that comparison
EDIT: sorry it's cheaper because i was comparing 1 gb to 2 gb memory.

I highly doubt that 1gb or 2gb would make any difference. Just go with the cheapest one out of these 3 cards.
Happy computing ; )
December 9, 2012 8:40:12 PM

Thank you djfv and looniam :bounce: 
December 9, 2012 9:04:51 PM

Best answer selected by prestoon.
!