Your question

New build , weird buzzing sound.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2013 10:47:46 PM

So i finally set up my new build and everything runs extra smooth apart from one minor

yet very annoying thing. I hear a low but high pitched sound from inside the case and as

far as i can tell it's fan-related. I tried stopping the case (nzxt 410 phantom) and gpu fans

while working but that didn't stop the noise so it is probably the cpu heatsink. It is a new

i5-3570k fan that i just installed. I already tried re-assembling everything yet the sound is

still there , also ran bios and lowered fan speed a little bit and that did indeed lower the noise

but it is still noticeable. Do you guys think i should replace it with an aftermarket one, or is

there an easier solution that i didn't think of. Right now i'd rather get a 40 euro heatsink like

hyper evo 212 than sending back the whole cpu just for a fan replacement since it is the only

pc i have in my place. Thank you in advance.

Edit : motherboard is an Asrock z77 extreme6 / ram : 8gb corsair vengeance / gpu : 7850 OC sapphire 2gb

PSU : corsair tx650-m

More about : build weird buzzing sound

January 24, 2013 11:05:07 PM

The hyper evo 212 is a fine choice and stock cooler noise is one of the reasons people use it. Go for it and don't forget to buy some thermal paste.
January 24, 2013 11:26:33 PM

jnkweaver said:
The hyper evo 212 is a fine choice and stock cooler noise is one of the reasons people use it. Go for it and don't forget to buy some thermal paste.

Thanks for the fast reply buddy, so you would consider such a sound normal given the fact that

it's a standard heatsink? I will probably order a CM evo 212 come Monday , any other advice is

more than welcome.
Related resources
January 24, 2013 11:33:03 PM

Yeah stock fans are always mind-numbingly high pitched. I have the CM 212 Evo and it's awesome. Allows for overclocking too!
January 26, 2013 8:54:27 AM

Rechecked everything , i am quite positive the sound is coming from my psu . It's a new TX650M v2.

maybe i am not used to the sound but i have to admit it is a bit annoying. Gonna try and get in contact

with Corsair support for any advice
January 26, 2013 8:41:09 PM

Bumping .

So i checked my psu thoroughly and it's actually not the one causing the whiny noise. I have

excluded every single fan in the case even though the persistent character of the noise suggests

a fan problem. Anyone has a clue what could be causing that continuous sound? It seems to

start when i stress my computer a little. Could it be from the motherboard?? A broken standoff maybe?

Thank you in advance
January 27, 2013 4:21:42 AM

Could it be coil whine from your motherboard? Just an idea.
January 27, 2013 7:14:04 AM

It probably is a coil whine . I am getting a technician today to find out which part is at fault

so i can RMA it.