New build , weird buzzing sound.

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
So i finally set up my new build and everything runs extra smooth apart from one minor

yet very annoying thing. I hear a low but high pitched sound from inside the case and as

far as i can tell it's fan-related. I tried stopping the case (nzxt 410 phantom) and gpu fans

while working but that didn't stop the noise so it is probably the cpu heatsink. It is a new

i5-3570k fan that i just installed. I already tried re-assembling everything yet the sound is

still there , also ran bios and lowered fan speed a little bit and that did indeed lower the noise

but it is still noticeable. Do you guys think i should replace it with an aftermarket one, or is

there an easier solution that i didn't think of. Right now i'd rather get a 40 euro heatsink like

hyper evo 212 than sending back the whole cpu just for a fan replacement since it is the only

pc i have in my place. Thank you in advance.

Edit : motherboard is an Asrock z77 extreme6 / ram : 8gb corsair vengeance / gpu : 7850 OC sapphire 2gb

PSU : corsair tx650-m

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the fast reply buddy, so you would consider such a sound normal given the fact that

it's a standard heatsink? I will probably order a CM evo 212 come Monday , any other advice is

more than welcome.

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Rechecked everything , i am quite positive the sound is coming from my psu . It's a new TX650M v2.

maybe i am not used to the sound but i have to admit it is a bit annoying. Gonna try and get in contact

with Corsair support for any advice

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Bumping .

So i checked my psu thoroughly and it's actually not the one causing the whiny noise. I have

excluded every single fan in the case even though the persistent character of the noise suggests

a fan problem. Anyone has a clue what could be causing that continuous sound? It seems to

start when i stress my computer a little. Could it be from the motherboard?? A broken standoff maybe?

Thank you in advance

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
It probably is a coil whine . I am getting a technician today to find out which part is at fault

so i can RMA it.

TRENDING THREADS