Rate this gaming build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vElectrixx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
I am a huge computer novice. After countless days of new recommendations, how is this build?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard 
RAM : Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition 3gb
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
 Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
System Fans: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition 120mm

I think it's all set, after all recommendations people have told me about what to change. Rate this out of 10 please. Is this worth the $1100 I'll be spending on it if it goes well?

Solution
If you're going to run the OS off a mechanical drive, get a WD Black, not Blue, otherwise get an SSD and use the Blue for data storage. +1 to e_X, get a case with USB 3.0 (Antec 302 or whatever one appeals to you). I"d also consider a fan controller for an $1100 build. Maybe consider a Corsair or CM PSU too.

1-10, I'll go 6.5

scottiemedic

Distinguished
If you're going to run the OS off a mechanical drive, get a WD Black, not Blue, otherwise get an SSD and use the Blue for data storage. +1 to e_X, get a case with USB 3.0 (Antec 302 or whatever one appeals to you). I"d also consider a fan controller for an $1100 build. Maybe consider a Corsair or CM PSU too.

1-10, I'll go 6.5

Solution

vElectrixx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013

I chose the black at first, but I was recommended to change it. Back to black I go then.

There's nothing wrong with your system, the WD caviar blue 1TB is fine, it's not worth paying more for the black, reliability and performance are about the same.
For a cheap case with usb 3.0 get the corsair 200R.
You got a good mobo, cpu, gpu, psu.

the builds good, except with some changes could prob afford an ssd.

the whole system looks good except a few tweaks could get u an ssd. and maybe something else.

id say the builds about a 8-5 outta 10 as it stands, would perform better with a 7950+ssd drive tho.

admbautista

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer, or Phantom 410 which is in promo I think. Both at $80.

After changing the case, and change the hdd to black.. rate would be like 8.-8.5. Would do better with an sdd and blue. But black would do better than only blue.

admbautista

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I actually agree and disagree. black do have performance difference with blue, and sometimes warranty too. But not that much performance difference. There are times that you won't recognize the difference. And yes, not as much as having an ssd. I actually have both black and blue and black had slightly better performance on some occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.