What's the difference between a 16 and a 32 PCI ?

G

I just bought the ECS K7S5A Motherboard and tried to transfer my old modem over but the slot was too short for it to fit. It seems as if the 16 bit PCI modems are longer than the 32 bit PCI, so now I have to buy new modem. Is there any advantages to a modem or soundcard being a 32 bit PCI card over a 16 bit PCI?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not being able to tell the difference between an ISA card and a PCI card is usually a good indication you might be better off letting a friend build your system. Watch and learn.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Not being able to tell the difference between an ISA card and a PCI card is usually a good indication you might be better off letting a friend build your system. Watch and learn.
Hehe, agreed. He wouldn't want to screw up something else and then fry his CPU or mobo.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, a 16 bit modem must be a ISA modem, a 32 bit modem must be a PCI modem.

ISA is obsolete, so it isnt present on your new mobo. you have to buy a new PCI modem, but I recommend you an external modem.

The advantage of PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) over ISA (Industrial Standards Association) bus is speed, ISA runs at 12 MHz (older ISA ran at 8~ MHz) , PCI runs at 33 MHz, ISA is 16 bits wide while the PCI is 32 bits wide. In addition, PCI supports Plug and Play (or Pray) specification by which you dont need to fiddle around with IRQ, IO and DMA settings, the card provides the details to Windows.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
actualy you can get totaly hardware based internel modems i have one that i got becuse i need one that would work under linux

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile: