New Game Suddenly Has Problems with Microsoft

A new Barbie Fashion game (xmas pres) worked fine until a few days ago when
the very first time my daughter put it in to play after the last Microsoft
automatic update, it only gets as far as where you click on your name to
start the game and then it stops and an error box says it has to close coz it
has some problem with Microsoft. Why? I tried the troubleshooter with XP
but it still doesn't work. I turned off my new firewall program and even
that didn't help. Ideas why something should work one minute and suddenly
decide not to?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi, either remove the update or perform a restore to just before you did the
update......
ChrisC
"OzVikings" <OzVikings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A new Barbie Fashion game (xmas pres) worked fine until a few days ago when
> the very first time my daughter put it in to play after the last Microsoft
> automatic update, it only gets as far as where you click on your name to
> start the game and then it stops and an error box says it has to close coz
> it
> has some problem with Microsoft. Why? I tried the troubleshooter with XP
> but it still doesn't work. I turned off my new firewall program and even
> that didn't help. Ideas why something should work one minute and suddenly
> decide not to?

Please turn the firewall back on, otherwise you're exposing your computer to
the Internet. As for the update, I would do as has been suggested - use a
Restore Point in System Restore to back out of the installation. Once
that's done, I would check the game site and try another download of the
update, but this time when you install make sure no other programs are
running. If you're running anti-virus from Norton (Symantec) you can't just
"exit" the program from the Systray icon - it continues to run underneath in
the background, and could be corrupting the update.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC