So My friend is really into high end video editing. He has a computer he has used for the past 5 years, but he says it takes him too long to render stuff. He came to me with a budget of $3500 for just the PC. I tried to get him an amazing rendering and gaming PC for as cheap as possible. Any thoughts on what I came up with?
- Replaced the dual Agilities with a single drive, there's just no point RAID0'ing SSD's. Might as well just get a bigger drive and leave yourself a spare SATA port.
- No sound card, only needs this if he already has a significant audio setup.
- Different PSU, no point paying an extra $50 for Platinum efficiency, quite simply the 5% greater efficiency wont lead to $50 savings in the lifespan of the machine.
- Windows 8 over 7, no reason to pick an old OS in a new build. And you dont need a professional version to have 16GB+ of RAM.
- Speaking of, changed the RAM. Lower profile and better colour co-ordinated with the mobo.
-Changed the HDD, WD has no well priced 2TB drives on the market. Seagate Barracudas are $50 cheaper and just as good.
- Got a Sapphire Vapor-X 7970Ghz instead of that ASUS Matrix, way overpriced for what it offers.
You can use the extra $600 in the budget to buy some good monitors, new mouse/keyboard/speaker set, new desk or whatever else may be useful.
Hey you have in that set expensive MoBo. If you are lookin the best X-79 MoBo Its this: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower-II.html
Id take Asus P9X79 PRO
And SSD take one bigger. Or 2 120-256GB drives. Best if you take one for now and put other in later. I did not follow why 2 60GB + 512GB SSD? For cashing SSD 2 60GB ?
Correct if I m wrong but I do think that you will not need 2 60GB SSD in this set.
Put the same money in better big SSD first. Intel or Samsung 830 or 840 pro. Or mayby OCZ vector. Id rather take 2 240-256GB to raid 0 or if you got the money for it go for a 2 512GB SSD set.
WD HDD is better when they are in raid set. But as manofchalk said seagate are just as good for now days. Even better,
Seagate has less rma send backs from customers. Both are good WD and seagate. In raid sets WD is way better.