Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboards & memory

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2013 5:02:07 AM

Can't get more than 2gb of ram to work on my system. Can you help?
MSI G41m-P34
Win 7 home 64bit
Intel Q6700
Patriot G2 ddr3 1333mhz (2x4gb)
MSI 550 GTX 1gb
OCZ 600w pwr supply
Any help appreciated. Thanks

More about : motherboards memory

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 152 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 11:23:33 AM

Per the specifications of your motherboard, your system will only accept DDR3-1333 RAM if the system is overclocked.
Quote:
Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333* (OC) DRAM, 8GB Max

I would guess, this is your issue. Either drop down to DDR3-1066 RAM or overclock your system so that the DDR3-1333 RAM works (don't ask me how, I don't know).

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 468 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 12:03:34 PM

there a bios update that updates the bios for low voltage memory. i would install the newest bios with the old ram stick and then see if the new ram works.
http://us.msi.com/product/mb/G41M-P34.html#/?div=BIOS

with the ram if it reading both sticks as 2g then one slot may be bad or the ram not seated right.
i seen on some mb with old bios that a 2 sided ram stick be read as 1/2 the ram.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 12:37:56 PM

smorizio said:
there a bios update that updates the bios for low voltage memory. i would install the newest bios with the old ram stick and then see if the new ram works.

with the ram if it reading both sticks as 2g then one slot may be bad or the ram not seated right.
i seen on some mb with old bios that a 2 sided ram stick be read as 1/2 the ram.

^1 :-)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 6:02:24 PM

Consolidated summary:

1. Verify RAM placement for two sticks only (in your motherboard manual)
(I believe you have only two slots so this isn't relevent)
2. Remove and reseat; verify the RAM is fully seated
3. run MEMTEST ( www.memtest.org ); alternative is MEMORY diagnostic in Windows
4. update BIOS if not up to date
5. select a PROFILE (i.e. "XMP") for your RAM and confirm the proper frequency and timings here AND in Memtest
6. Confirm Windows 7 is 64-bit (just checking)
7. Confirm WHY you think it's only 2GB (seems very odd)
8. MEMTEST-> also try ONE STICK at a time if still having issues (use the proper slot as likely only ONE of them works properly).

*The above order isn't absolute, however it's a very good idea to run Memtest and flash to latest BIOS no matter what. The PROFILE is very important too for both stability and speed. If your BIOS is not up to date a profile may not be available for your RAM.

MEMTEST should show the frequency, timings, and amount of RAM installed.

**Be warned if you overclock, do NOT also overclock your RAM. It's a common mistake. Never overclock until you have full system stability, but later if you DO overclock your CPU (by raising the Base Clock) you may need to DROP the RAM Multiplier to keep the same frequency.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 6:19:11 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Per the specifications of your motherboard, your system will only accept DDR3-1333 RAM if the system is overclocked.
Quote:
Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333* (OC) DRAM, 8GB Max

I would guess, this is your issue. Either drop down to DDR3-1066 RAM or overclock your system so that the DDR3-1333 RAM works (don't ask me how, I don't know).

-Wolf sends

This is not correct.
All the above means is that it supports 800 and 1066MHz natively, and will support up to 1333MHz via an overclock. You aren't required to overclock the RAM to get it to work.

Also, this would have nothing to do with his 2GB issue.

To be clear on overclocking:
1. do NOT do so until MEMTEST passes
2. overclock the CPU (if you wish) such as 20% with a half decent CPU HSF
3. overclock the RAM up to 1333MHz
4. CONFIRM new profile works in MEMTEST (and Prime95 in Windows)

Let's assume you overclock the CPU by 25% by just raising the Base Clock. That would likely also overclock your RAM by the same amount (from 1066MHz to 1333MHz). I'm not saying this is ideal, and motherboards vary in how they are setup.

Usually there's a BASE CLOCK that affects both the CPU and the RAM, so for RAM if the base clock is changed you can choose a different Multiplier for the RAM. Ideally I'd recommend setting the RAM to its default Profile, but if that gives you 1066MHz then its best to overclock.

I'm not familiar on all motherboards but it's likely you can play around with the Base Clock and CPU/RAM multipliers to get what you want (which is a possible CPU overclock, and RAM up to a max of 1333MHz). Do NOT mess around with the RAM TIMINGS if you can avoid it.

I hope this helps...
January 28, 2013 6:36:47 AM

smorizio said:

What I should have stated was that I am running 2gb of 1333 ram (2x1gb) but when I put the 4gb sticks (2x4gb) in the system shuts down.
Tried using just one (1x4gb) with same results - turns on for a few seconds then turns off. I apologize for lack of info.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 V Motherboard
January 28, 2013 1:32:06 PM

TZ1558 said:
What I should have stated was that I am running 2gb of 1333 ram (2x1gb) but when I put the 4gb sticks (2x4gb) in the system shuts down.
Tried using just one (1x4gb) with same results - turns on for a few seconds then turns off. I apologize for lack of info.

Hmm..
Then it's not evident that the RAM is even the problem.

It's hard to troubleshoot though if the system simply shuts down. The only scenarios I can think of are:

1) Defective motherboard
2) CPU issue (not seated properly or defective)
3) Power Supply issue
4) GROUNDING issue.

The most likely cause is probably a defective motherboard. Unfortunately basic TROUBLESHOOTING involves having parts to swap so there's not much more I can tell you.

Troubleshooting:
1) Unhook any hard drives or DVD drives (only the motherboard, CPU and HSF, RAM, PSU and monitor)

2) Only hook up the case POWER SWITCH and make sure it's set properly.

3) Ensure the motherboard and CPU power cables are attached to the motherboard.

4) Ensure the CPU fan is hooked up.

5) Use the CPU/onboard graphics and don't use an addon graphics card if possible.

*I think I've heard of some people having the CASE wires (RESET, POWER.. ) incorrectly attached causing immediate problems.
m
l
February 24, 2013 6:54:44 PM

Best answer selected by TZ1558.
m
l
!