Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time low budget gaming build (500-700$)

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 25, 2013 5:25:02 AM

Hello,
I'd like to ask if this sounds like a decent first time build to run League of Legends (all maxed out settings) and Wow/GW2 on moderate settings.

motherboard: ASUS P8H77-I http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71117&promoid=1270

CPU: Intel Core i3 3220 Dual Core http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=75429&promoid=1270

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=74900&promoid=1270

Memory: Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70136&promoid=1270

power supply: Corsair CX Series CX430 430W http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76034&promoid=1270

Hard drive: Caviar black 500gb

bitfenix prodigy case

All help is welcome, First time build. Thanks for your advice in advance

Cheers Alex
January 25, 2013 5:43:41 AM

Assuming you're from Cananda from the links to NCIX, I would go with this build from Canadian suppliers. I hope that you are not stuck on using only NCIX.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Cougar Volant (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $686.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-25 02:42 EST-0500)
January 25, 2013 6:05:55 AM

cball1311 said:
Assuming you're from Cananda from the links to NCIX, I would go with this build from Canadian suppliers. I hope that you are not stuck on using only NCIX.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Cougar Volant (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $686.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-25 02:42 EST-0500)


Thank you for the quick reply! No I'm not stuck on NCIX, just new and needed somewhere to start. Just wondering why you swapped the 500gb caviar black to the 1tb caviar blue storage. Also wondering about the motherboard? seems like theres not many expansion options? also the gpu seems quite expensive, is it a must? Thanks for the help. Its much appreciated.

Thanks, Alex
Related resources
January 25, 2013 6:08:21 AM

Yau want a Gaming PC for $700!
Well here it is


CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz -$213 http://amzn.to/Wlp3Jp
MOBO : ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 - $191 http://amzn.to/T0KiSI
GRAPHICS :ASUS ENGTX560 -$169 http://amzn.to/SHQaBo
CASE : CM Storm Scout - Gaming Mid Tower case - $66 http://amzn.to/SHQaBo
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $95 http://amzn.to/Wa6DQS
PSU: Cooler Master GX - 650W - $69 http://amzn.to/Xr3ur2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB $47 http://amzn.to/Y1sveh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ltGY9N2C9Y
January 25, 2013 6:36:39 AM

-I would pick Intel 3470 especially when the price is cheaper than 2500k unless OP wants to OC

-Mobo should definitely look at 77 chipset I prefer ASrock as a brand, cheap enough right now with good feature. Otherwise, pick up H67 with updated bios for IB procie or MSI B75

-GPU, tough option but 7870 is solid pick btw, if money is an issue that 7770 also good since I own it:D .
Brand wise, I would pick sapphire for price/value and good 550 PSU can power it fine. I myself pick seasonic on PSU.

The rest is common sense and don't forget DVD-ROM:D 



I think cball build is a good one.
January 25, 2013 6:45:23 AM

A good step between the 7870 and 7770 to look at would also be a 7850. I picked one up for 180 at Christmas, 2 gb very decent IMO.
January 25, 2013 2:33:27 PM

Alex McD said:
Thank you for the quick reply! No I'm not stuck on NCIX, just new and needed somewhere to start. Just wondering why you swapped the 500gb caviar black to the 1tb caviar blue storage. Also wondering about the motherboard? seems like theres not many expansion options? also the gpu seems quite expensive, is it a must? Thanks for the help. Its much appreciated.

Thanks, Alex


First off, the black edition HDDs are way overrated. They do have a bit better reliability factor but no increase in performance. You will enjoy the 1TB of space. For expansion options on the motherboard, unless you are wanting to add a sound card or something, you only need 1 PCIe slot. I usually recommend using just a single high-end card (on low budget builds) as you will have a better experience with it. When time comes to upgrade, sell your older card (not that hard, especially if you put a low but reasonable price tag on it) and use the money towards a newer GPU that is better. If you really want the options to CrossFire, you will need at least an H77 motherboard with two PCIe slots (at least x8/x8 or x16/x8) and they start around $89 or so. For the GPU, the 7870 will spin circles around the 7770. For gaming (and your budget), it is best to put as much into the GPU (then CPU) to gain maximum FPS.

Here what I mean.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=548
January 25, 2013 2:46:01 PM

heres comes the hammer.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zvGH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zvGH/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zvGH/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($81.88 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.78 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $670.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-25 11:45 EST-0500)

Base Total: $688.38
Mail-in Rebates: -$20.00
Shipping: $5.99
Total: $674.37

hammer time

January 25, 2013 3:26:18 PM

cball1311 said:
First off, the black edition HDDs are way overrated. They do have a bit better reliability factor but no increase in performance. You will enjoy the 1TB of space. For expansion options on the motherboard, unless you are wanting to add a sound card or something, you only need 1 PCIe slot. I usually recommend using just a single high-end card (on low budget builds) as you will have a better experience with it. When time comes to upgrade, sell your older card (not that hard, especially if you put a low but reasonable price tag on it) and use the money towards a newer GPU that is better. If you really want the options to CrossFire, you will need at least an H77 motherboard with two PCIe slots (at least x8/x8 or x16/x8) and they start around $89 or so. For the GPU, the 7870 will spin circles around the 7770. For gaming (and your budget), it is best to put as much into the GPU (then CPU) to gain maximum FPS.

Here what I mean.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=548



I agree with cball, black edition HDD wont make that much difference. I would just save some money and get a SSD later on when you can afford one.

Don't buy any of the gtx 550, 560, or 660....they are more expensive, and their performance is not as good as the 7870... if you look at the hiararchy charts the 560 is like 2-3 steps down from the 7870.... Especially if you are going to be gaming, I would also suggest investing more money in a graphics card like a 7870 or even a 7950 if possible.

here is the link to Tom's Hardware's best GPUs for the money and the Hierarchy...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

I would also consider going the AMD FX route for a cpu, but that is a touchy subject here on Tom's cause everyone prefers intel... so really depends what you want to do... But for gaming, GPU is going to be more important then spending extra money on a really nice motherboard or CPU... The one thing that I would also suggest investing some money into is a good power supply, cause that is probably the one thing that you can use years later in a future build... I had a BFG 550watt power supply that worked well for the last 6 years and is still running strong in my friends computer now... I bought a nice corsair 850watt gold modular psu, so I dont have to buy another one in a future build. So I would really try to squeeze out as money into a decent psu so you can use in for a longer period of time... but for your specific needs i think a 550watt would be sufficient. but again if you can somehow buy a good psu up to 750watts that is decent quality it can be reused by yourself in a future build.

but again that is my train of thought.... But again GPU is the most important thing if you are going to be mostly gaming.
January 25, 2013 3:32:24 PM

the 660 is comparable to the 7870 and overclocked can beat it,

January 25, 2013 3:42:00 PM

iceclock said:
the 660 is comparable to the 7870 and overclocked can beat it,


No, not really... an overclocked 7870 will be much superior to an overclocked 660... look at reviews and even Tom's Hardware's charts... the best gpus for the money are mostly radeon.....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

The nvidia cards are overpriced and really dont offer equivalent performance of the money... so either way if you are planning to overclock your gpu or not, getting any of the nvidia's gpus under $300 are a waste of money... the thing that nvidia is good for is that some of them have cuda cores which aid in editing a great deal, also nvidia in SLI does not have as much microstuttering when compared to the radeons in crossfire.

But if your going for a single gpu and your trying to get the most bang for your buck, going amd radeon is the way to go.
January 25, 2013 4:14:59 PM




LOL your the one that is giving selective information... you use battlefield and batman and portal 2 as the games that demonstrate how good a gpu is????? lol look at toms review of the 660

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...

Toms only used a 7870 that is stock and overclocked the 660 to demonstrated benchmarks... What about Skyrim, dirt showdown, and max payne 3 which show the 7870 is superior... even when overclocked the metro 2033 fps is very close on both cards...

also overclocking the 660 is very limited... you cant increase the voltage much and its not as stable....READ

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/19/asus_geforce_...

you only looked at one review... look at multiple before you start talking about facts...

Look at the difference in scores, MHz and Memory increases of the 7870 when it is overclocked....
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1863/14/

that is a huge increase from: 1000MHz core and 1200MHz memory to 1200MHz core and 1350MHz memory... and that is on stock voltage. Please dont bring up one review, and swear by it before looking at other reviews and benchmarks. I agree that the 660 performs better in some games... but that is only in SOME games not most, the 7870 performs better in MOST games, and even more so when it is overclocked... When overclocked it performs close to the 7950.
January 25, 2013 5:02:00 PM

Thanks for all the help! I'll be thinking over all of this and starting my build in February. I'll post some picks of the parts I pick and the final build.

Cheers Alex
January 26, 2013 12:12:52 AM

the 7870 doesnt perform close to the 7950 sorry ur off there buddy.

also the 7870 suffers from micro-stutters and lacks decent vsync.

u can say what u want, but i know there both equal cards and id get whatevers cheaper at the time of purchase.

no problem alex :) 

February 8, 2013 11:49:37 PM

Final build:
i3 3220
Asus P8H77
Gigabyte GTX 650
8gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz
corsair 430 80 plus bronze
Bitfenix prodigy
1tb caviar blue
windows 7 64 bit
samsung dvd combo

will upload pictures soon
!