Sign in with
Your question

Gaming computer advice

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2013 8:09:59 AM

Hello, I need help figuring out what computer to buy. I don't know anything about making my own computer. I have asked friends but they all said different things. So I decided to get a prebuilt computer. I have found this site and I think this computer is good for my needs.

http://www.computerlx.com/config.aspx?t=&product_ID=183...

I manly want to use it for gaming. I don't think I will use it for fps's, but i will use it for mmo's and rpg's. Like League of Legends, Elder Scrolls, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy 14, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, and things like that. This site lets me customize the parts witch is good, but i need help with manly the video card. What will be good for the games I have mentioned? Later I might buy two monitors for 3 monitor gaming. My price range for a computer would be around $1,000 to about $1,500 (cause I need to buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers witch is another $350 for gaming). Plus if I need to buy a ssd card, then what should I get (if it matters)? The other thing I need is a good antivirus software and firewall software. Again, I know nothing about computers so any professional advice from people who know what there doing and have experience it will help a lot.

More about : gaming computer advice

January 25, 2013 9:36:19 PM

I am going to help you out with hardware stuff, It's better to build your own system. The system that you have linked is weak, and is not worth the money....... i mean it.....

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 -$10.00 Newegg
$10 promotional gift card w/ purchase, ends 1/31

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 AMAZON

Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $134.99 -$10.00 $124.99 Microcenter
$10.00 mail-in rebate

Memory

G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $47.99 Newegg

Storage

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.99 Amazon

Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $97.99 Adorama

Video Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card $379.99 -$20.00 $359.99 Newegg
$20.00 mail-in rebate

CASE
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case $139.99 -$10.00 $129.99 Newegg
$10.00 mail-in rebate

Power Supply
Corsair Gaming 700W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply $107.33 TigerDirect

Optical Drive
Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive $24.06 $24.06 Compuvest

Base Total: $1254.94
Promo Discounts: -$10.00
Combo Discounts: -$13.00
Mail-in Rebates: -$40.00
Shipping: $7.37
Total: $1199.31

almost same price! and.... ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT LINKED PC

m
l
January 25, 2013 11:21:33 PM

Thank you. I really appreciate your help and advice. I was afraid of getting a computer that either I over paid or just sucks or not compatible. I want to make sure I get it right before I spend a lot of money.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2013 1:34:06 AM

no worries, everyone is here to help ;)  [and yeah... that pc from link really sucked sorry lolz]. You can go to http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/ and go through the options, build up your own version of a system and post it on here for second opinions.. or you could stick with what I posted, im sure other people might have other ideas with adjustments to mine

for gaming just stick with i5 processor, tkae the 3570k like i suggested (the "k" indicates an unlocked multiplier = possible to overclock) The i5 is good for gaming, i7 not necessary, so paying extra for no large advantage. the Evo 212 cpu cooler is a good budget cooler which will handle some light to moderate overclocks*, but if you wish to do some hard core overclocks then go with noctua nh-d14 good price for the cooling power. [i like to keep overclocking option open for future but the evo 212 is good just to have even when not overclocking, cuz CPUs do get hot and Ivy bridge (3rd gen) do get hotter than older gens.

do not spend extra money for 680 gpu, stick with 670 (nvidia) .... more people prefer nvidia cuz its "better" rather than radeon based.

when building your system... just make sure not to use a magnetic screw driver... but it's pretty straight forward even with no knowledge on how to build a system, youtube helps and this forum helps a lot as well

good luck
m
l
January 26, 2013 1:52:15 AM

I wouldn't build a computer if you aren't comfortable. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and troubleshooting is a bear if you don't know what you are doing. All it takes is hosing one part, or having to ship a couple things back and forth to erase the savings. Places like Cyberpower don't charge too much more than bare parts, so it's not a terrible value.

That one you linked to has a graphics card that won't even play basic games, despite being quite expensive.

Check this one out: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EU0WT

It's got a slightly overclocked i5-3570K, a Radeon 7870 (high end card), an SSD and a 1TB hard drive and a very nice case, motherboard and cooler. It also includes a Windows license, which I don't think your linked PC did.

m
l
January 26, 2013 2:24:15 AM

sg08 said:
Thank you. I really appreciate your help and advice. I was afraid of getting a computer that either I over paid or just sucks or not compatible. I want to make sure I get it right before I spend a lot of money.

Never buy from ComputerLX. And by never I mean if the universe ends wait 10 years and then still don't buy one. They claim lifetime support. The video card in my system failed. Their tech support people told me to "go f yourself".
m
l
January 26, 2013 2:34:50 AM

Building a PC is super easy if you're patient and take your time and be careful. There are tons of video guides on YouTube and Tom's forums has a great guide too.

I would say definitely go for the custom build, you'll have a sense of pride and you will be getting the best value, since you're not paying somebody else to do it for you.
m
l
January 26, 2013 2:54:28 AM

JMer806 said:
Building a PC is super easy if you're patient and take your time and be careful. There are tons of video guides on YouTube and Tom's forums has a great guide too.

Assuming no parts are defective and you don't mess something up! I've got 20 years computer building experience I had a problem with my last build that really stumped me for weeks. It's not always like snapping some legos together and hitting the power button.

I think most people probably could handle building a computer. But I also don't think we do people favors by trying to convince them to do it themselves after they have decided they can't handle it. People are usually a good at assessing their own skills and not everyone is into DIY.
m
l
January 26, 2013 3:10:33 AM

Maybe, but I think a lot of people think that building a computer is much harder than it is. The cost of parts notwithstanding, it really is a lot like assembling Legos, except easier because most components can only go into one certain place.

If someone is super clumsy or unhandy to the point that they can't handle a screwdriver, then I'd say don't build their own. But most people can quickly learn how to do it. And yeah, sometimes accidents will happen, but that happens with prebuilts too!
m
l
January 26, 2013 3:23:42 AM

The best thing about a prebuild is that if it is buggy, you put the whole thing in one box and back it goes.

With a self-build, you get to play hardware voodoo for a month just to figure out which part is flaky. You just have to decide what you want to do to save a few bucks. Some people like us think it is fun, but others don't want "assembly required" computers. They just want to hit a button and play games.

m
l
January 26, 2013 2:36:43 PM

it really isnt all that hard, but yes troubleshooting could be difficult for someone who has minimal knowledge about it. But having a separate computer that works beside you as you build makes it easy, if you dont know something, just make a quick google search, takes not more than 5 minutes, you get most results from tom's hardware forum as well as youtube for visuals.

The best thing about doing it yourself is that you can learn how/what your pc is, and when you wish to upgrade a part or replace a part in the future you will be more comfortable. My friend built a pc for the first time a month ago... He RMA his motherboard -> used a magnetic screw driver lol. But even him... never building a pc on his own, was able to go through the task of removing everything out of box and laying out on table to go through the check up as of which part is faulty. Now he's got a working computer, no problems and he didnt know anything about building a computer, just youtube and forums.

In the end... its up to you... but you profit more from your own build

m
l
February 6, 2013 11:46:37 PM

Ok. I went to www.cyberpowerpc.com and made this configuration.

*BASE_PRICE: [+849]
BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: Cooler Master Storm Scout II Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Carrying Handles (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_CS: None
FREEBIE_MB: None
FREEBIE_VC: None
FREEBIE_VC2: None
GLASSES: None
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
MB_SRT: None
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Ultra Durable 4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Extreme OC Certified)
MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: * 500 Watts - Corsair CX500 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
RUSH: No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Date 10 Business Days
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TABLET: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+432] (EVGA Superclocked)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None
_PRICE: (+1385)

Is this a decent configuration for the things I need a computer for? (gaming, games like League of Legends, Elder Scrolls, Phantasy Star, Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy 14, and maybe a few Fps's. Maybe later I will buy multiple monitors)
m
l
February 7, 2013 12:16:08 AM

I'd probably bump up the power supply for a GTX670, but yes, that is a very high end gaming rig.

See what you think of this one: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EV2VY

I took advantage of some freebies and deals (and dropped to a 3GB gtx670 because the 4GB is a total waster of money). Added a 64GB SSD Cache, and upgraded cooler, silent case fans, a 10% overclock, and a better power supply. Came in about 70$ cheaper than yours.

m
l
February 8, 2013 1:37:01 AM

In terms of output, 500W should be plenty for a 670 - newer GPUs use less power than older ones, after all. But I would probably upgrade to a higher class of PSU, like the TX, HX, or AX series from Corsair, a Seasonic, or an XFX. 500-650W.
m
l
February 12, 2013 8:18:10 AM

Ok. I added a 64gb ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 505 MB/s Write Single Drive as an SSD and as the Intel Smart Response Technology (Don't know if I really need the Intel Smart Response Technology), I switched to a GTX 670 2gb (cause there isn't an option for 3gb, just a 4gb and 2gb), I took some of the freebies, and on my amazon account I was thinking about getting the ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor for my gaming pc. So the next question is do you think I should add these (the SSD and the other things) and also will the monitor work for me? And my friend said to get Eagle Tech ET-AR504LR-BK 2.1 Soundstage Speakers with Subwoofer & Remote for it as well. Will these work enough? Here is the slightly knew congifuration? I think I would buy this computer when I get the money.

*BASE_PRICE: [+899]
CAS: Cooler Master Storm Scout II Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Carrying Handles (Black Color)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FREEBIE_CU: FREE 500GB External Hard Drive with Intel® Core™ i7 or Intel® Core™ i5 based PCs [+0]
FREEBIE_VC: FREE $150 Value In-Game Hawken, Planetside 2 and World of Tanks w/ NVIDIA GTX 660 or Above [+0]
HDD: 64GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 505 MB/s Write [-7] (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
MB_SRT: 64GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 505 MB/s Write [+78] (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory [+19] (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Ultra Durable 4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Extreme OC Certified)
OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply [+9]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SPEAKERS: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+298] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
_PRICE: (+1400)
m
l
February 12, 2013 3:38:07 PM

That's not a bad PC in general, but it's really bad value for money. However, since I remember that you don't want to build, I'll leave that alone...

A few things:
- You don't have a storage drive that I see. Just a 64GB SSD and a 500 GB external. You need an internal storage drive.
- 64GB is a really small SSD, I typically wouldn't recommend any less than 120GB

No answer about the monitor and the speakers, I'm afraid, although I would recommend that you test them out (maybe at an office or computer store) before you buy them.
m
l
February 12, 2013 3:40:21 PM

When I recommended the 64GB SSD originally it was only as an SRT cache for the 1TB drive. If you are just going with a single SSD and no internal HDD, then you need to go 256GB or so.

I don't think it too bad of a value. It's not much cheaper to build an overclocked 3570K system with a GTX670 on your own.
m
l
February 13, 2013 8:57:41 AM

I hope this is better. If I have to spend a little more then ok. Again I know building my own pc is better, but I am a beginner in this. So when I learn more I will start to build my own. I am learning thanks to you guys, but I still need a little more advice. Thanks guys for all you advice. I want to get this done right so I make a little mistakes as I can.

*BASE_PRICE: [+765]
CAS: Cooler Master Storm Scout II Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Carrying Handles [+55] (Black Color)
CS_FAN: Maximum Enermax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) [+29] (1,000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA)
FAN: * Cooler Master V6 GT CPU Cooler (Nickle Plated Double-V Heatpipe w/ Color Changing LED Cap) [+22]
HDD2: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+94] (Single Drive)
MB_SRT: 64GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 240 MB/s Write [+67] (Single Drive)
MONITOR: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre E246W-1080P (23.6" Viewable)(Black Color) LED Backlight, Built-in Speaker, DVI, HDMI Input [+248]
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply [+33]
SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-506 5.1 Surround Speakers + Subwoofer System [+96]
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+334] (EVGA Superclocked [+0])
_PRICE: (+1762)
m
l
February 14, 2013 11:34:29 AM

That one is better. Although if you're in the US, don't buy the monitor as part of the package - they're charging $248, but it's a discontinued model and you can get one just as good (or better) for $200 or less from Amazon or Newegg or wherever.
m
l
February 15, 2013 2:08:58 AM

Ok. What brand of monitor should I buy? I was thinking of getting an ASUS brand or a DELL or maybe a SAMSUNG. The size I am trying to go for is around 24 inches. How is this:

ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1

Also, I'm still looking for speakers to go with it. Does anyone know of a good speaker set?
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:54:36 AM

Also I went to IbuyPower.com and saw there new major league gaming computer. Here is the configuration:

evolt R570
1 x Case ( iBUYPOWER Revolt Mini Tower Gaming Case )
1 x Case Lighting ( Revolt Advanced Lighting )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i5-3570K )
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink (Revolt) )
1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 2GB - EVGA Superclocked - Free Upgrade to EVGA FTW Series - Single Card )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
1 x Motherboard ( iBUYPOWER IBP-Z77E/S )
0 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( None )
1 x Power Supply ( 500 Watt - FSP 1U 80 Plus Gold Certificated Power Supply )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 180 GB Intel 330 SSD - Single Drive - FREE upgrade from 120 GB Intel 520 SSD )
1 x Data Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( Sony Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Slot Load Drive )
0 x Internal Wireless Network Adapter ( None )
1 x Operating System ( Windows 8 + Office 2010 Trial [Free 60-Day !!!] - 64-bit )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard )
1 x Mouse ( Razer Naga Epic 17-button MMOG Wired/Wireless Gaming Mouse )
1 x Monitor ( 24" LCD 1920x1080 -- (23.6 viewable) )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
1 x Speaker System ( Eagle Arion 2.1 Soundstage Speakers w/ subwoofer & remote - Black )
0 x Video Camera ( None )
1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )
1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - Pre-order Now. Estimate Ship by 2/2013 )

The monitor is a Sceptre Monitor. So I hope it is good enough. So witch is a better configuration. The first one or this one:

*BASE_PRICE: [+765]
CAS: Cooler Master Storm Scout II Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Carrying Handles [+55] (Black Color)
CS_FAN: Maximum Enermax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) [+29] (1,000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA)
FAN: * Cooler Master V6 GT CPU Cooler (Nickle Plated Double-V Heatpipe w/ Color Changing LED Cap) [+22]
HDD2: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+94] (Single Drive)
MB_SRT: 64GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 240 MB/s Write [+67] (Single Drive)
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply [+33]
SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-506 5.1 Surround Speakers + Subwoofer System [+96]
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+334] (EVGA Superclocked [+0])
_PRICE: (+1514)

They are both the same price, but I think the Revolt one is better (I think it is better since I think I know whats better now).
m
l
February 22, 2013 2:10:30 AM

Performance wise those are about the same price. The first one is a better configuration due to the larger SSD. It has a smaller PSU though and a house-brand MOBO which may or may not have comparable quality to the Gigabyte.
m
l
!