Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade from 9800gt, plus psu help, please.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2012 3:52:30 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Preferably this week, my 9800gt died, I believe. BUDGET RANGE: Around 300 dollars, including a psu. After rebates is fine.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I had been playing World of Warcraft, Aion, Guild Wars 2, League of Legends, I am also looking to get into Borderlands 2.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: PNY 9800gt, and my PSU is a 500w by ARK. It is rather horrible, hence why I would appreciate help on a psu, as well., Case is a

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Case is a cm 5675, Mobo is a P7H55, cpu is an i5 650.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Preferably newegg.com however I am open to suggestions. COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Not too sure, however from my understanding nvidia does tend to perform better in World of Warcraft, and some other MMORPGs.

OVERCLOCKING: Not entirely sure if my machine is able to overclock SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Nope.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None that I can thing of, thank you for your responses.

More about : upgrade 9800gt psu

Related resources
December 10, 2012 5:23:27 AM

7870 + a good corsair psu under 90'ish $. 550-650 w corsair psu is plenty, you can still find higher in your price range if necessary. The 660 non-ti, has only 900 cuda cores. And the 7870 being the same price range, has 1280 stream processor cores, and better performance. The nvidia card next in line would be a 300$ 660ti, with 1344 cuda cores, and that would be a marginal improvement over the 7870, and take up your entire budget.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 5:27:56 AM

Glad you agree with me Rich :) 
m
l
December 10, 2012 5:59:46 AM

Awesome, thank you for the awesome recommendations, I have a question, though. Would it be wise to spend a little bit more, and increase the psu to a 650 watt? Or would it be sufficient enough? Thanks for your input!
m
l
December 10, 2012 6:46:09 AM

I am kind of looking at my configuration inside my case, and my 9800 is only about 8-9 inches, I am not entirely too sure if that 7870 would be able to sit comfortably, there are some cords about 9-10 inches that could be problematic :/ 
m
l
December 10, 2012 8:14:40 AM

Awesome, thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it. I think I may go with the 660ti, only reason being that there are a few things sticking up from my motherboard, that may get in the way, at around 9 or 9 1/2 inches, would hate to get a card and have that be an issue. I do have another question, if you wouldn't mind answering. I haven't really heard of zotac, is it a decent brand? Also, would the fact that it is smaller in length, mean a drop in performance, overall?
m
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 10, 2012 9:28:02 AM

Sunius said:
I'd really try stretching for this one, it's much better than the HD 7870:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I agree on the above Gigabyte 660Ti, if you can manage it.

*Not all graphics cards are equal. Many save a little money by using cheaper (noisier) cooling solutions and less reliable voltage regulators and other circuit board parts.

The above Gigabyte card is using what is probably the quietest cooling solution for the 660Ti and it's a quality board.

Other video card:
If budget necessitates, this seems a good value ($230 after MIR):

Power Supply ($55):
m
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 10, 2012 9:42:46 AM

*GAME COUPONS:

I was at NCIX and other places and noticed that some cards come with a game coupon, like Far Cry 3.

In fact, the following HD7950 ($280) may seem high for your budget, however it comes with three game coupons:

Game coupons:

Or, I'll just LIST THEM:
Free 4-in-1 Game Coupon
- FarCry3
- HitMan
- Sleeping Dogs
- Medal of Honor WarFighter Limited Edition (20% off digital deluxe)

*So if you bought the games on SALE and only paid $100 for all three, this awesome card still costs only $180 in reality!
m
l
December 10, 2012 9:46:54 AM

Thank you to you both, for also replying. Due to seemingly limited case size, I am looking for something smaller, than the 7870, as of right now. I am looking at this 660 now, from zotac. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I am unsure as to whether or not this would be a good gpu, or if the gap in fps/cost would allow me to justify the 660ti. Any thoughts on this, would be greatly appreciated
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 10, 2012 9:53:27 AM

Actually, for money spent, that card is better. Of course, it's weaker, but GTX 660 Ti is only 15% faster while being 25% more expensive.
m
l
December 10, 2012 9:57:02 AM

Honestly yeah, I did consider that card, it is very impressive, plus the free games, it is very tempting. However it seems as if in my current setup, I am not allowed that many inches, and am needing to limit myself to around 9 or 9 and a half. There are a few cords in the way, and I am not sure if there will be enough clearance to work around an 11 and a half inch behemoth.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 10, 2012 9:59:37 AM

Well, Zotac one would fit without any problems ;) .
m
l
December 10, 2012 10:02:40 AM

Exactly! I'm just not too sure how reputable they are, I guess I will find out! Anyways, I do appreciate everyone's input, I did consider every option, however for what I am coming from, in graphics, I think the 660 will be a great deal of improvement, and will allow me to not have to worry about whether or not it will fit!
m
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 10, 2012 10:19:59 AM

Ortoros said:
Exactly! I'm just not too sure how reputable they are, I guess I will find out! Anyways, I do appreciate everyone's input, I did consider every option, however for what I am coming from, in graphics, I think the 660 will be a great deal of improvement, and will allow me to not have to worry about whether or not it will fit!

FYI, I can't find your case, but if you have your mind made up it's a non-issue I guess.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 10, 2012 10:34:08 AM

Zotac is a great brand.
m
l
!