texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Complete Newbie question here. Is it possible to set up a RAID using scsi drives? I know there would be adapters and cards involved, but is it possible, and would I see any performance benefits from it.
The way I understand it, RAID is a way to connect drives where scsi is a type of drive. RAID requires a controller (pci or onboard) and scsi requires a host adapter with special cables.
Anyway, is there a way to set that up?

G

Yeah, Definitely! You would see a major performance increase! You would even see good data security using SCSI RAID depending on which level of RAID you use and the controller supports.

All you should need is a SCSI RAID card that you could get from different companies. I would look at Adaptec or LSI, because those are the only one's I have seen. You would probably want to get a good cable also. I have heard different things about what types of cables are better, but if it was me I would use twisted pair cables or go with a teflon coated cable.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Thanks. I looked into Adaptec. Cards seemed reasonable. The ultra160 has some serious throughput. I wanna do some video editing, so I need some serious hardware or else sit there all day long while it renders.
Anyone else have any thought? Thanks again Lart

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
raid also need a array controller a plain scsi adapter will not let you set up raid level.
raid 0 allows 1 large drive out of two
raid 1 allows both drives to be mirrored
raid 5 aloowd data guarding