Cross-platform volume for libraries and Installed applications

xaffy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I am currently studying about file sharing and have recently developed an urge to create two volumes that can be shared across two Windows installations. One volume will be for the contents of the user files (My documents, My Music, Downloads, etc.) and the other would be for installed applications. The main reason I want to do this is because I am currently using a machine with a Windows 8 partition and a Windows 7 partition, and the whole process of having to copy the files and install the same programs to the other partition is really daunting, not to mention a huge increase in wasted space on the hard drive.
The main issue I have with the first volume I want to create, is that I really have no idea how to integrate the user files in a way that both Windows installations can find it inside the same default location. All I could think of is maybe some kind of re-direct setting or file, but I still have no clue on how to do that. On the second partition, I have experimented with creating one similar to it for games only, but when I tried to run it on Windows 8, most of the programs needed to either reinstall, or have me manually add some dll files to the Windows 8 partition.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
you need to change the values in the registry in order to point your explorer to the shared file when you click my documents. change it on both, youll be ok. as for sharing programs, this may be a little tricky-er. installing the program on each installation then directing the path to the shared folder you want it installed to would be my bet, and it should only replace copy files. this would install it normally on each version, (the required reg entries, files needed) and both systems would be able to use it. as far as a file system to use, i think NTFS would be fine, or fat32

xaffy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Can you be a little more specific as to exactly what registry values need to be changed?