Add a second 7950 or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xstark

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Hello, I will soon be getting the HP ZR30w monitor with a 2560x1600 resolution, and I was wondering if dual xfx 7950 dd 3gb would be able to max any game at that resolution or if I should upgrade to a different gpu setup (the cheaper the better, tho the games should be played at max).

My set up is as follows
i5 3570k @ stock
Gigabyte g1 sniper 3
16 gb of ram
750 watts corsair pro series psu
256 gb intel ssd
2Tb seagate hd
xfx hd radeon 7950 DD model @ stock
Corsair h100 watercooling CPU kit
Cooler master cosmos ll case

Solution
FYI, the Asus has two, 3W speakers. Don't use those.

Speaking of audio, I really love my setup:
1) Auzentech X-FI Forte audio card (PCIe x1)
2) M-Audio AV40 speakers (AV30's are similar but cheaper)

The above sound card is great quality, and the ONLY card I could find that could output Surround AND stereo at the same time. I have it hooked to my 5.1 headphones as well as my stereo speakers (I just turn down the volume on the headphones when using desktop speakers, and turn OFF the speakers when using headphones).

If you ever buy speakers with a subwoofer, do NOT get one with the off switch in the subwoofer. The amplifiers consume a LOT of power and you don't want to run them 24/7. I just reach around to the back of my desktop...

prototype18

Distinguished
Well its doing pretty well. I get only Bneck @ BF3 where i get 50+Fps in combat sometimes droping to 45fps.
In every other game no problems.Havn't tried BF3 multiplayer but i think i cant . In Mw3 i get 125fps on multiplayer.

Yes i have the Hyper on it.I bought it cuz i was planning to get the I5 but i got this deal (20$ on ebay) of the G620. Hadn't much money that time so i got it. Now im saving for I5 and new monitor.

I actually have a funny story about my i5.

The first time around, I bought a 2500K with a H61 board by accident. I did not know this for quite some time until I tried to overclock it.

I didn't want some random H61 board lying around, so I decided that I would drop a $50 G530 in there. The performance from something so cheap blew me away. It also runs really cool, so I actually ended up mounting it in my old beige case from the 90's. :)

prototype18

Distinguished
:lol: nice story ! Well this rig its not that bad . Still not comparable to I5 but run decently all my games .

I will keep this CPU and buy a new mobo after i get the I5. Have some PSU's in the garage and some RAM stick's. That will do the job for my dad :D

Good Luck Deemo13!

Xstark

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Thanks for the answers so far, i will try and sell my 7950 for 275 and maybe get dual 7970s, as deemo13 suggested, i will wait and try that single card first. Still keep you suggestions coming.

No. No. No.

I'll link you to my response to another post. Find my long reply on how to game on 2560x1440 and print that for reference:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/381745-33-force-display-display

The crux of your issue is that you want to game on 2560x1600. I recommend you choose 1920x1200 for most games as the visual difference is minor but the performance hit might be 30%. The problem is that you'll get micro-stutter which many people feel is no longer an issue but it is. There are two aspects to that which I can explain if you wish.

You've got a very nice graphics card and computer. Simply scale to 1920x1200 most times and adjust the quality settings so you can synch to 60FPS (VSYNC). Some games, like Diablo 3 and Torchlight 1/2 and several others can game at 2560x1600 and still achieve Max Quality at 60FPS.

If you have any specific questions now, feel free to ask.

*Batman Arkham City will stutter if DX11 and/or PHYSX are enabled. Turn those off regardless of system.

**RadeonPro is a very useful tool (enable FPS, or use FRAPS to monitor frame rate). I used it to enable VSYNC and Anti-Aliasing on games which didn't support either. Examples:
- Mass Effect 1
(set anti-aliasing to 4x or 8x Super-Sampling. I normally don't use SuperSampling due to performance but it really helps avoiding jagged edges in this game.)

- Witcher #1
Force VSYNC (witcher.exe, in the games subfolder "System")

- The Sims 3
Forced HALF VSYNC method. I had major stuttering otherwise, this smoothed things out for me at least.

Xstark

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I am not sure if I am following you, are you suggesting that it'll be better to game on a monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200 (regardless of size in inches) over a monitor with a resolution of 2560x1600 because of the stuttering issues? I have seen some gameplays and it really doesn't look like the game stutters as you said, in fact these kind of monitors get very good reviews from the people who actually plays in them, and yes, they run the games with a resolution of 2560x1600. But I only game on 1920x1080 resolutions, so i really have no idea of what to do, bigger resolution does seem tempting but is it really reliable? Or worth it? Can you actually tell the difference when gaming or is all the same as if you were on a 1080p monitor?

Hi,

I could NEVER go back to gaming on a 22", 1920x1080 screen. Let me clear some things up:

1) Size in inches has nothing to do with it. You'll get the same framerate on a 10" or 27" screen if both use 1920x1080.

2) Micro-stutter is an issue primarily caused by having a multi-GPU setup like SLI Crossfire. There are lots of people who don't understand how it works. There are two components:

a) an obvious "stutter" caused by frames being spaced at non-equal intervals (ideally at 60FPS you want 1/60th of a second exactly for each new frame)

b) the game feels more like 40FPS when it's 60FPS (the stuttering isn't obvious to the eye but the phenomenon causes the game to feel sluggish)

3) I've tested many games at 2560x1440, and also at 1920x1080 (scaled to fit the screen). Most look almost EXACTLY the same at 2560x1440 as they do at 1920x1080 as I've said.

4) If your monitor is 27" or higher you really need the high resolution just for the normal Desktop. Just make sure to scale the DPI up by about 40% (link from desktop->screen resolution). More pixels also makes a difference on a 27" screen even if you only have a game set to 1920x1080. On a 27" screen with only 1920x1080 physical pixels you can notice the individual pixels.

5) The monitor doesn't cause stutter. They do have other issues such as latency (i.e. 5ms) but that's nothing to do with the micro-stutter issue I'm discussing.

*Don't take my word for all of this. Go ahead and game at the full resolution of 2560x1600, and also at 1920x1200. For example, try this in SKYRIM or a similar game. Monitor with FRAPS and keep VSYNC off for now.

What I discovered, was that in many games if I enabled full quality and tried to game at 2560x1440 I fell below 60FPS which causes the game to resynch to 30FPS (unless you have an NVidia card and set "Adaptive VSYNCH).

So the game looks basically the same quality but the frames per second drops by quite a lot (i.e. 30%) when choosing the high resolution.

Just game at 60FPS, with VSYNC enabled and adjust the quality settings if needed to achieve this. There's really no point in messing with a 2xHD7950 setup.

Again, I game at 2560x1440 for Diablo 3. I game at 1920x1080 in SKYRIM. Both games are running at max quality and run at a solid 60FPS.

I agree, but beyond an HD7950 the quality difference for most people is quite minor. The main issue is whether micro-stutter exists, and it does. I would have bought a GTX690 if it did not. I've built and tested many systems.

Even the main representative of NVidia discussed the micro-stutter issue in a GTX690 video.

Note:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

In particular:
"AMD's Radeon HD 7000 series is severely more affected by micro stuttering than nVidia's GeForce 600 Series"

If you still disagree, then there's little more to be said. How about we just agree to disagree at this point.

My opinion stands as this:
*He will get higher frame rates with a 2xHD7950, however the micro-stutter caused via the dual-GPU setup at times will severely hamper the subjective game experience. In other words, a single HD7950 will give an overall better experience IMO.

Peace out.

Xstark

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I get it now, photonboy. Thank you. but if in order to play the game completely smooth i need to downscale the game to 1080p or 1920x1200, then there really is no point in me getting such an expensive monitor for something that i could do with 2/3 of its price, any suggestions as to which monitor would be the best for my system ( budget is not really an issue) it must be monstrous for gaming. Thanks again for all the helpful tips.

A high-res monitor is essential on a 27" or higher screen or the pixels are too obvious for the regular desktop. The size is awesome and the number of pixels do make a difference even if gaming at 1920x1080 scaled up.

I love my Dell U2711 which is $1000. It has a zero-pixel warranty. My screen became defective (glitches on left side) and a replacement was shipped in ONE DAY! Warranty is three years but you can extend to five for $100.

The only real issue is the anti-glare coating which looks like dirt covering the screen. It's not obvious at all in a gamer or movie. I considered the Apple equivalent monitor but it was glossy so reflections would be hideous.

*If you're in a BASEMENT with no glare, buy a GLOSSY screen.

You can check out NCIX and see what they have and the comments. Look for:
1) 2560x1440, or 2560x1600 res
2) 27" to 30"
3) suitable for gaming (6ms response or less)
4) no major issues (see comments)

Again, if you want 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 you really need to buy a maximum of 24" screen.

**There are some Korean monitors around which are very poor quality but about $500 (2560x1440, 27"). Stay away.

Here's two screens I found worth investigating:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=76578&vpn=PB278Q&manufacture=Others

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=64747&vpn=LS27A850DS%2FZA&manufacture=Samsung

Google for other reviews, perhaps try Amazon as well, and see what the EXACT warranty details are.

FYI, the Asus has two, 3W speakers. Don't use those.

Speaking of audio, I really love my setup:
1) Auzentech X-FI Forte audio card (PCIe x1)
2) M-Audio AV40 speakers (AV30's are similar but cheaper)

The above sound card is great quality, and the ONLY card I could find that could output Surround AND stereo at the same time. I have it hooked to my 5.1 headphones as well as my stereo speakers (I just turn down the volume on the headphones when using desktop speakers, and turn OFF the speakers when using headphones).

If you ever buy speakers with a subwoofer, do NOT get one with the off switch in the subwoofer. The amplifiers consume a LOT of power and you don't want to run them 24/7. I just reach around to the back of my desktop speakers and turn them off. Many speakers have a combo VOLUME/ON/OFF doohickey attached to one speaker.

FYI, I recently tried onboard sound with my speakers (troubleshooting my PC) and was shocked at how poor the onboard Realtek sounded compared to my sound card.

It's POINTLESS to buy expensive speakers and use onboard sound. Conversely, don't get an expensive sound card and crappy speakers. As well, if you have $100 for speakers, it's better to get good stereo speakers like the M-Audio AV30 rather than a 2.1/5.1 setup.

(I got the M-Audio AV40 because the bass is excellent in the 4" drivers. A subwoofer gives MORE bass, however that transfers through the floor causing unacceptable noise down in my living room.)

Cheers.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.