• 43 %
  • Prefer AMD, but would consider nVidia
  • 33 %
  • AMD exclusively
  • 8 %
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 7:12:30 AM

I've done an Intel vs AMD one of these at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/356450-10-intel

More about : nvidia amd

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 7:21:08 AM

Prefer nVidia, but would consider AMD

Because of those FXAA and other technologies & GTX 690!
December 10, 2012 8:04:44 AM

Don't forget adaptive v-sync - that's the best feature! ;-) Do you have a GTX690? I need an upgrade soon.
Related resources
December 10, 2012 8:16:03 AM

Lol theyre both equal, nvidia and ati are both superior in their own way. Nvidia does offer the gtx 690 however Ati's single gpu 7970 GHZ edition surpasses nvidias gtx 680. Then you got 3D gaming, which nvidia has deemed superior than ati, however ati's best card features 3GB of vram which enables you to play across several monitors without a problem. Theres ups and downs to both, its just preference.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 8:18:47 AM

bc5 said:
Don't forget adaptive v-sync - that's the best feature! ;-) Do you have a GTX690? I need an upgrade soon.

:lol:  No dude, just a GTX 660.
I said it because GTX 690 is a Dual GPU card! Its a magnificent work to put 2 of them in one. And that outperforms AMD 7990.
December 10, 2012 8:29:13 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
:lol:  No dude, just a GTX 660.
I said it because GTX 690 is a Dual GPU card! Its a magnificent work to put 2 of them in one. And that outperforms AMD 7990.

That's a nice GPU you have though! Not so fond of dual-GPU cards myself, would prefer one crazy fast GPU. Which is what I'll buy when the new stuff launches!
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 8:31:05 AM

Yup not in every game.
But still Nvidia offers TXAA, Adaptive-Vsync and Physx.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 8:33:17 AM

bc5 said:
That's a nice GPU you have though! Not so fond of dual-GPU cards myself, would prefer one crazy fast GPU. Which is what I'll buy when the new stuff launches!

So what are you aiming for? Getting GTX 700s or Radeon 8000s ?
December 10, 2012 8:37:08 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
So what are you aiming for? Getting GTX 700s or Radeon 8000s ?

GTX700, probably a GTX770. Seems like a safe bet it'll be near enough the same speed as the GTX780 (based on the GTX670, GTX570, GTX470, GTX260 etc) but much cheaper. And I really want something much faster than the GTX670. Hopefully we'll see another huge step forward like GTX200 to GTX400.

I think even for those planning on a Radeon 8000 it would be silly to buy before the GTX700 cards launch, because that's when prices are gonna start dropping.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 9:20:37 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Yup not in every game.
But still Nvidia offers TXAA, Adaptive-Vsync and Physx.

lol
December 10, 2012 2:46:04 PM

redeemer said:
lol

If something about what Sumukh said amused you, could you elaborate on what it was? Just the fact that PhysX and TXAA aren't supported in all games, or something else?
Anonymous
December 10, 2012 3:42:41 PM

You forgot an option --- Best price per performance at time of purchase!
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 3:45:35 PM

If it is solely for gaming then nvidia.
If you consider gpu compute then AMD.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 4:00:30 PM

Anonymous said:

Not forgotten, omitted :-) I know a lot of people base their decision on exactly that, but I'm not looking for how many people have a preference, but rather, of the people who DO have a preference, which is preferred and is there any room for negotiation. Or to put it another way, I'm interested in preferences, not lack of preferences. If both companies were offering the exact same performance for the exact same money, you'd just have to choose one way or the other.

@sayantan what about CUDA? I don't do any GPU compute stuff, so it's not really of interest to me... but I thought nVidia had an edge there?
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 4:31:25 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Not forgotten, omitted :-) I know a lot of people base their decision on exactly that, but I'm not looking for how many people have a preference, but rather, of the people who DO have a preference, which is preferred and is there any room for negotiation. Or to put it another way, I'm interested in preferences, not lack of preferences. If both companies were offering the exact same performance for the exact same money, you'd just have to choose one way or the other.

@sayantan what about CUDA? I don't do any GPU compute stuff, so it's not really of interest to me... but I thought nVidia had an edge there?

You can't beat hardware with software. I would say AMD gpus are much much better than nvidia gpus in compute. I'm talking about consumer GPUs not workstation/supercomputing GPUs . No doubt nvidia cuda is much more mature software than openCL but still you can't beat AMD in compute. As a matter of fact compute performance of 680 is worse than 580. Nvidia kind of traded its compute performance for better efficiency in gaming.
December 10, 2012 4:44:21 PM

Well I'd say that trade beats the alternative :-) For gamers anyway! Software can make a huge difference though. Catalyst 12.11 has been a big deal lately, but it's absolutely nothing compared to Detonator 3 / Detonator XP if anyone remembers that? You could argue that gain was a result of terrible drivers initially, but it was still a colossal gain purely from software. Not disagreeing with the compute results though, just highlighting what software can do.
December 10, 2012 5:35:34 PM

Well, at my price points, AMD is king. But at the same prices and same performance? Well.

Depends on the shipping cost :3
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:15:57 PM

bc5 said:
If something about what Sumukh said amused you, could you elaborate on what it was? Just the fact that PhysX and TXAA aren't supported in all games, or something else?

With current pricing/ performance it is hard to recommend anything Nvidia at present, unless your needs are 3D or Cuda where Nvidia based solution would be best. Really Adaptive Vsync, TXAA, Phyx are gimmicky features that really make no difference at all.

For the money nothing beats the 7950 at this time
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 7:19:25 PM

Anonymous said:

That's my take as well. there was a time not so long ago that my local pricing made a GTX 560Ti the card to go to for all recommendations. Now it's overpriced and outdated.

Mactronix :) 
December 10, 2012 7:24:42 PM

redeemer said:
With current pricing/ performance it is hard to recommend anything Nvidia at present, unless your needs are 3D or Cuda where Nvidia based solution would be best. Really Adaptive Vsync, TXAA, Phyx are gimmicky features that really make no difference at all.

For the money nothing beats the 7950 at this time

Have you used adaptive v-sync? Take a look:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/201 [...] y_review/3.

"With Adaptive VSync turned on, the feeling of the game felt smoother compared to regular VSync turned on... It really is the best of all worlds, with no drawbacks. We didn't find any negatives to using Adaptive VSync, and we tried it out in a handful of games."

Also, consider the relative consistency of the performance. Check out:

http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge...

For an alternative way of measuring performance to give a better representation than frames/second of smoothness and responsiveness.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:37:59 PM

bc5 said:
Have you used adaptive v-sync? Take a look:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/201 [...] y_review/3.

"With Adaptive VSync turned on, the feeling of the game felt smoother compared to regular VSync turned on... It really is the best of all worlds, with no drawbacks. We didn't find any negatives to using Adaptive VSync, and we tried it out in a handful of games."

Also, consider the relative consistency of the performance. Check out:

http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge...

For an alternative way of measuring performance to give a better representation than frames/second of smoothness and responsiveness.

Of course I have used it, and really it made no difference at all. Sure a synthetic test maybe be able to find a difference but to the naked eye there is none so it should not be a factor. AMD's vsync methods are just fine and games on both of my systems are smooth for all my games.

It is always amusing to hear games run smoother on Nvidia based solutions.

December 10, 2012 9:01:25 PM

Guess it depends on the user then - [H]ardOCP doesn't agree with you. They state unequivocally that gameplay feels smoother with adaptive v-sync.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2012 9:52:16 AM

bc5 said:
Guess it depends on the user then - [H]ardOCP doesn't agree with you. They state unequivocally that gameplay feels smoother with adaptive v-sync.

Over the years I have found [H] to be, shall we say less than 100% unbiased and reputable as far as benchmarks/results and findings are concerned.

Pretty much every thing is subjective when discussing image quality and the feel of the game play. Personally I have never had an issue with V-sync one way or the other. I understand what they are doing with this version and it does make a difference in some scenario's.

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2012 10:02:09 AM

I really would prefer for there not to be an argument over this stuff because I'd prefer the poll results to not be influenced by the discussion, but I would be interested in evidence of HardOCP's bias if you have a link handy? No worries if not, I'll bear it in mind anyway, but I've found them pretty trustworthy so I'm interested to know if that's not the case.
December 14, 2013 6:11:52 PM

I do mostly GPU computing things, such as mining crypto, so I do AMD exclusively. But, I am not like the other people who are AMD exclusively, as I am not fanboyishly into AMD. I would switch to Nvidia if they improved their computing power. Right now, they are so very behind AMD that I don't see them improving in this aspect any time soon. Also, AMD is cheaper (great for me since I am not very rich at all)
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
December 14, 2013 6:38:15 PM

no preference here. just whatever is best value at the time.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
December 14, 2013 7:04:45 PM

This is last years thread.
But for me its AMD all the way
December 17, 2013 2:14:52 AM

kresimirnovakovic said:
I do mostly GPU computing things, such as mining crypto, so I do AMD exclusively. But, I am not like the other people who are AMD exclusively, as I am not fanboyishly into AMD. I would switch to Nvidia if they improved their computing power. Right now, they are so very behind AMD that I don't see them improving in this aspect any time soon. Also, AMD is cheaper (great for me since I am not very rich at all)

nVIDIA is not behind on compute. They're behind in the particular type of compute (single precision I believe) that benefits Bitcoin mining. In other compute-intensive applications (like Folding) they're way ahead of AMD.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2013 2:18:58 AM

Nvidia 4 life!
December 17, 2013 2:28:59 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
bc5 said:

And that outperforms AMD 7990.

But that's a lie.

Anyway, why am I posting in a bait thread? >.>

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
December 17, 2013 11:41:58 AM

bc5 said:
kresimirnovakovic said:

nVIDIA is not behind on compute. They're behind in the particular type of compute (single precision I believe) that benefits Bitcoin mining. In other compute-intensive applications (like Folding) they're way ahead of AMD.

Bitcoin/litecoin and F@H are both double precision which AMD kick butt at

!