Which is better? AMD Radeon HD 7770 or ATI Radeon HD 6950

Ecuas

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Okay, I'm really curious here. In the past they way they did things was that the higher the series number, the better it is. Why is this not the case anymore? It makes shopping for a card really confusing now. And to add to the discussion, I just bought an XFX HD 7770 overclocked edition today and I am really loving it. Especially since its a major upgrade from my XFX HD 4670 :bounce:

GPUs haven't been advancing by huge leaps and bounds lately. The difference between a top end card this generation and a top end card last generation is around 30%. So you do get overlap where a performance tier is simply moved down on the existing hierarchy eg. 6850 is now about = to 7770 and 7850 is now a bit better than the 6950.

For AMD cards pay more attention to the second digit to get an idea where the performance is at. Same with Nvidia. The higher the second digit is , the better the card will perform.

Gary9087

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
Even nearly 4 years on and I was asking the same advice because I have AMD RADEON 6950 and I was wanting to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider and the minimum specs are : Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
Memory: 6GB
Hard Disk Space: 25GB
Video: NVIDIA GTX 650 2GB or AMD HD7770 2GB
Sound:
DirectX®: DirectX 11

as I noticed the video card AMD HD7770 2GB I thought that would have been me out of the game before it even started, so thanks to you lot for your advice I am now going to buy this game.
I gave these an UP rating: Sunius - assassin1234 - Supernova1138 (for his in-depth knowledge) and goldsauce for his comparison chart. Thanks folks!!