Yet another Sims 2 question

The only game I currently play is Sims 2. This year I got
a new computer for Christmas. It is an E-machine with an
Intel Celeron D CPU running at 2.66 GHz. It has 246 MB of
RAM an onboard Intel 82845G Graphics controller that uses
64 MB of shared memory. The OS is Windows XP Home Edition
upgraded to SP2. My old system was an LG 9XX running a
Pentium 111 CPU at 900 MHz with 400+ RAM and a Radeon 9000
series AGP video card with 64 MB on card RAM. The OS was
XP Pro SP2. DirectX on both machines is 9c.(I have
installed the Sims 2 patch as well.)

The problem is the game ran MUCH better on my old computer.

I have upgraded the drivers for the Intel Graphics
Controller, but that did not help. I set many of the in
game display options at their lowest setting. The game
runs very slow and is choppy. It also takes forever to
load a lot or the neighborhood.

The new computer does not have an AGP slot so my only
option is a PCI card. Before I go that route, I want to
try adding more RAM. Do you have any other suggestions?

So far I have not found a solution on the Sims 2 website,
but I am still looking.

TIA

Take out trash before sending me e mail.
10 answers Last reply
More about sims question

    Sims 2 is highly motivated to use a whole lot of graphics memory, Bill.
    That would be the way to go. It sounds like you're running onboard graphics
    at the moment, and in all probability it is "shared" out of your regular
    RAM. In effect, you're trying to run Windows XP with 182 MB of RAM while
    giving the graphics functions 64.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "billw" <bill.wray@worldnet.att.trash.net> wrote in message
    > The only game I currently play is Sims 2. This year I got
    > a new computer for Christmas. It is an E-machine with an
    > Intel Celeron D CPU running at 2.66 GHz. It has 246 MB of
    > RAM an onboard Intel 82845G Graphics controller that uses
    > 64 MB of shared memory. The OS is Windows XP Home Edition
    > upgraded to SP2. My old system was an LG 9XX running a
    > Pentium 111 CPU at 900 MHz with 400+ RAM and a Radeon 9000
    > series AGP video card with 64 MB on card RAM. The OS was
    > XP Pro SP2. DirectX on both machines is 9c.(I have
    > installed the Sims 2 patch as well.)
    >
    > The problem is the game ran MUCH better on my old computer.
    >
    > I have upgraded the drivers for the Intel Graphics
    > Controller, but that did not help. I set many of the in
    > game display options at their lowest setting. The game
    > runs very slow and is choppy. It also takes forever to
    > load a lot or the neighborhood.
    >
    > The new computer does not have an AGP slot so my only
    > option is a PCI card. Before I go that route, I want to
    > try adding more RAM. Do you have any other suggestions?
    >
    > So far I have not found a solution on the Sims 2 website,
    > but I am still looking.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Take out trash before sending me e mail.

    Hi Bill,

    According to this article the extra RAM should help since you're
    below the minimum RAM spec for systems which don't have a
    hardware T&L video card:
    http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "billw" <bill.wray@worldnet.att.trash.net> wrote in message news:0eb801c4ff4e$f69ddf90$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > The only game I currently play is Sims 2. This year I got
    > a new computer for Christmas. It is an E-machine with an
    > Intel Celeron D CPU running at 2.66 GHz. It has 246 MB of
    > RAM an onboard Intel 82845G Graphics controller that uses
    > 64 MB of shared memory. The OS is Windows XP Home Edition
    > upgraded to SP2. My old system was an LG 9XX running a
    > Pentium 111 CPU at 900 MHz with 400+ RAM and a Radeon 9000
    > series AGP video card with 64 MB on card RAM. The OS was
    > XP Pro SP2. DirectX on both machines is 9c.(I have
    > installed the Sims 2 patch as well.)
    >
    > The problem is the game ran MUCH better on my old computer.
    >
    > I have upgraded the drivers for the Intel Graphics
    > Controller, but that did not help. I set many of the in
    > game display options at their lowest setting. The game
    > runs very slow and is choppy. It also takes forever to
    > load a lot or the neighborhood.
    >
    > The new computer does not have an AGP slot so my only
    > option is a PCI card. Before I go that route, I want to
    > try adding more RAM. Do you have any other suggestions?
    >
    > So far I have not found a solution on the Sims 2 website,
    > but I am still looking.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Take out trash before sending me e mail.

    That, too. However it would be a good idea to check out the capabilities of
    the motherboard on the E-Machine, since it may not go much farther in the
    RAM department. 8-)
    --

    "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > According to this article the extra RAM should help since you're
    > below the minimum RAM spec for systems which don't have a
    > hardware T&L video card:
    > http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    > rights.
    >
    > "billw" <bill.wray@worldnet.att.trash.net> wrote in message
    >> The only game I currently play is Sims 2. This year I got
    >> a new computer for Christmas. It is an E-machine with an
    >> Intel Celeron D CPU running at 2.66 GHz. It has 246 MB of
    >> RAM an onboard Intel 82845G Graphics controller that uses
    >> 64 MB of shared memory. The OS is Windows XP Home Edition
    >> upgraded to SP2. My old system was an LG 9XX running a
    >> Pentium 111 CPU at 900 MHz with 400+ RAM and a Radeon 9000
    >> series AGP video card with 64 MB on card RAM. The OS was
    >> XP Pro SP2. DirectX on both machines is 9c.(I have
    >> installed the Sims 2 patch as well.)
    >>
    >> The problem is the game ran MUCH better on my old computer.
    >>
    >> I have upgraded the drivers for the Intel Graphics
    >> Controller, but that did not help. I set many of the in
    >> game display options at their lowest setting. The game
    >> runs very slow and is choppy. It also takes forever to
    >> load a lot or the neighborhood.
    >>
    >> The new computer does not have an AGP slot so my only
    >> option is a PCI card. Before I go that route, I want to
    >> try adding more RAM. Do you have any other suggestions?
    >>
    >> So far I have not found a solution on the Sims 2 website,
    >> but I am still looking.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Take out trash before sending me e mail.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Pardon the top posting.

    Thank you both for your answers. I will try more RAM
    first. The MOBO will take up to 2 GB of RAM.

    Bill

    Shell / User
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=FH;[LN];gms
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >> MS Assisted Support:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do
    I confer any
    >> rights.

    >> "billw" <bill.wray@worldnet.att.trash.net> wrote in
    message
    >>> The only game I currently play is Sims 2. This year I
    got
    >>> a new computer for Christmas. It is an E-machine with
    an
    >>> Intel Celeron D CPU running at 2.66 GHz. It has 246 MB
    of
    >>> RAM an onboard Intel 82845G Graphics controller that
    uses
    >>> 64 MB of shared memory. The OS is Windows XP Home
    Edition
    >>> upgraded to SP2. My old system was an LG 9XX running a
    >>> Pentium 111 CPU at 900 MHz with 400+ RAM and a Radeon
    9000
    >>> series AGP video card with 64 MB on card RAM. The OS
    was
    >>> XP Pro SP2. DirectX on both machines is 9c.(I have
    >>> installed the Sims 2 patch as well.)
    >>>
    >>> The problem is the game ran MUCH better on my old
    computer.

    >>> I have upgraded the drivers for the Intel Graphics
    >>> Controller, but that did not help. I set many of the in
    >>> game display options at their lowest setting. The game
    >>> runs very slow and is choppy. It also takes forever to
    >>> load a lot or the neighborhood.
    >>>
    >>> The new computer does not have an AGP slot so my only
    >>> option is a PCI card. Before I go that route, I want to
    >>> try adding more RAM. Do you have any other suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> So far I have not found a solution on the Sims 2
    website,
    >>> but I am still looking.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Take out trash before sending me e mail.
    >>

    >.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Indeed.

    Essentially he traded in his old 350 engine Firebird for
    a sleek and modern model which tops out at 150 KM
    per hour instead of 150 Miles Per Hour. Make sense? :-)

    --

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OHhYlL1$EHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > That, too. However it would be a good idea to check out the capabilities of the motherboard on the E-Machine, since it may not go
    > much farther in the RAM department. 8-)
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message news:OOUp0$0$EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi Bill,
    >>
    >> According to this article the extra RAM should help since you're
    >> below the minimum RAM spec for systems which don't have a
    >> hardware T&L video card:
    >> http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >>
    >> "billw" <bill.wray@worldnet.att.trash.net> wrote in message news:0eb801c4ff4e$f69ddf90$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    >>> The only game I currently play is Sims 2. This year I got
    >>> a new computer for Christmas. It is an E-machine with an
    >>> Intel Celeron D CPU running at 2.66 GHz. It has 246 MB of
    >>> RAM an onboard Intel 82845G Graphics controller that uses
    >>> 64 MB of shared memory. The OS is Windows XP Home Edition
    >>> upgraded to SP2. My old system was an LG 9XX running a
    >>> Pentium 111 CPU at 900 MHz with 400+ RAM and a Radeon 9000
    >>> series AGP video card with 64 MB on card RAM. The OS was
    >>> XP Pro SP2. DirectX on both machines is 9c.(I have
    >>> installed the Sims 2 patch as well.)
    >>>
    >>> The problem is the game ran MUCH better on my old computer.
    >>>
    >>> I have upgraded the drivers for the Intel Graphics
    >>> Controller, but that did not help. I set many of the in
    >>> game display options at their lowest setting. The game
    >>> runs very slow and is choppy. It also takes forever to
    >>> load a lot or the neighborhood.
    >>>
    >>> The new computer does not have an AGP slot so my only
    >>> option is a PCI card. Before I go that route, I want to
    >>> try adding more RAM. Do you have any other suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> So far I have not found a solution on the Sims 2 website,
    >>> but I am still looking.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Take out trash before sending me e mail.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Yep!

    I thought that the new system would be better then the old
    jalopy I had befor. :(

    Oh well, I guesse I'll just have to get out the tools and
    tune her up.

    I now understand why so many people hate integrated
    graphics controllers! Everything else about the new
    machine suits what I use it for just fine. It is faster on
    the graphic art I do, but slower on the one game I allow
    myself to play ;-(

    Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes

    Shell / User
    >Jimmy S.
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    >Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site:
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?
    target=assistance
    >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
    confer any rights.

    >"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> That, too. However it would be a good idea to check
    out the capabilities of the motherboard on the E-Machine,
    since it may not go
    >> much farther in the RAM department. 8-)
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message news:OOUp0$0
    $EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>> Hi Bill,
    >>>
    >>> According to this article the extra RAM should help
    since you're
    >>> below the minimum RAM spec for systems which don't
    have a
    >>> hardware T&L video card:
    >>> http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP
    Shell / User
    >>> Jimmy S.
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    >>> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >>> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site:
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >>> MS Assisted Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do
    I confer any rights.

    >>> "billw" <bill.wray@worldnet.att.trash.net> wrote in
    message news:0eb801c4ff4e$f69ddf90$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    I got
    MB of
    Edition

    computer.

    suggestions?

    website,

    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    More RAM, and since you've got the space, would suffice, Bill. Good luck
    with it! Make darn sure to get a matching stick, though, if you're just
    adding one. Windows XP is very finicky about mismatched RAM.
    --

    > Yep!
    >
    > I thought that the new system would be better then the old
    > jalopy I had befor. :(
    >
    > Oh well, I guesse I'll just have to get out the tools and
    > tune her up.
    >
    > I now understand why so many people hate integrated
    > graphics controllers! Everything else about the new
    > machine suits what I use it for just fine. It is faster on
    > the graphic art I do, but slower on the one game I allow
    > myself to play ;-(
    >
    > Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Quite true! :-)

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:exISJy3$EHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | More RAM, and since you've got the space, would suffice, Bill. Good luck
    | with it! Make darn sure to get a matching stick, though, if you're just
    | adding one. Windows XP is very finicky about mismatched RAM.
    | --
    | Chris H.
    | Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    | Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    | Associate Expert
    | Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    |

    | "billw" <bill.wray@worldnet.att.trash.net> wrote in message
    | > Yep!
    | >
    | > I thought that the new system would be better then the old
    | > jalopy I had befor. :(
    | >
    | > Oh well, I guesse I'll just have to get out the tools and
    | > tune her up.
    | >
    | > I now understand why so many people hate integrated
    | > graphics controllers! Everything else about the new
    | > machine suits what I use it for just fine. It is faster on
    | > the graphic art I do, but slower on the one game I allow
    | > myself to play ;-(
    | >
    | > Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    have you considered checking your system for minimum hardware
    specifications ?

    --
    cinestar
    cinestar's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=2510

    Bill, also this might be of interest to you if you decide to upgrade to a
    graphics card. You more then likely have a Seabreeze (D845GVSR) motherboard,
    which is manufactured by Intel and has three PCI slots with version 2.2.
    However, it does not have an AGP slot. Thus, you will want to purchase a
    PCI (version 2.2) video card. The best one that I have found out there would
    probably be a Powercolor ATI Radeon 5200 or 5250 PCI Card with 256MB Ram.

    Just to let you know......

    Robert....

Sims Games Windows XP