Sign in with
Your question

Intel HD Graphics 4000 vs....whatever I have now?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Intel
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2012 8:56:10 AM

I'm looking into getting an ultrabook and while I'm not a major gamer I do use photoshop, some mmorpg and Skyrim sometimes. My current computer runs them alright. Not excellent quality but usually with something like Skyrim I can often use Medium settings or whatever. I've noticed that most laptops use the Intel HD Graphis 4000 and I'm worried that... instead of being better or even matching my current laptop performance, it'll just make it worse or slower. Does anyone know if that would be the case? Also - I can often run photoshop and something like skyrim at the same time - would this still be the case with the intel?

This is my current laptops specs:

Processor:Intel(R) Corei5 CPU M480@2.67GHz
RAM: 6.00GB
64-bit Operating System

Intel® HD Graphics (Core i5)

DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 5938 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 32 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 1696 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 99 MB
Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Speed: 2660 MHz
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 0046
Device Revision: 02

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Video BIOS: 1994.0
Current Graphics Mode: 1366 by 768

The ultrabook I'm looking at:
i7, 8GB Ram, 64bit

More about : intel graphics 4000

December 10, 2012 6:04:31 PM

My current laptop is the Toshiba Satellite A660? And the one I'm looking at is a Samsung Ultrabook Series 5....something? The touch screen one that just came out - I can't remember the exact name on it.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 6:06:49 PM

You should be able to run games better than on your old laptop. Intel HD 4000> GMA 5700M
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 9:55:08 PM

Your old laptop actually has a GT 330m in there so that's why you can play some game on reduced settings there. The GT 330m is still a bit better than HD 4000.
m
l
December 11, 2012 2:31:06 AM

How much are you spending on a laptop? it is not much of an upgrade GPU wise.
m
l
December 11, 2012 3:07:41 AM

Well I was hoping to spend around... $1300-1400. It doesn't necessarily have to be that Samsung Ultrabook but that was the most recent one I was looking at. It seems like most ultrabooks use the Intel HD 4000? what would you recommend for that price that will actually provide a decent graphics?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 3:14:22 AM

The one I recommend has one of the most powerful GPU you can find on an ultrabook, and it is well priced.
m
l
December 11, 2012 3:38:15 AM

Oh that looks like an amazing ultrabook - I'll definitely have to look into that as well. Also - I've filled in the questionnaire you linked. Thank you so much for all your help everyone. ^__^

1. What is your budget? $1200-1400

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13 inches? I'm not too picky.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Not too picky about that..

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? I'd prefer a modest battery life but usually I have my laptop plugged in anyway.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Secondlife (Medium/High) Skyrim (High) MassEffect (High)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photo editing - I use photoshop quite a bit

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not too picky - Anything over 100Gb spare storage is more than enough - I have most of my data on an external harddrive anyway

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? More than a year - The last two I've bought have only lasted a year to a year and a half.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD RM/writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Preferred: Samsung, Asus

Not preferred: HP, Dell, Toshiba (I've had experience with all of these and it always ended badly.)

13. What country do you live in? Australia

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
m
l
!