Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 upgrade 64 bit from xp 32 bit product key

Last response: in Windows 7
March 8, 2012 2:50:16 PM

Hello,
how do i obtain windows 7 upgrade 64 bit product key,im already using 32bit on laptop.I want to use my 64 bit disk on pc.My mate is microsoft certified is there anyway me or my friend can get just the licence.I don't want to pay a fortune for disks again and then having only one product key problem again,it just seems a waste.
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2012 2:53:46 PM

oem license is 100 dollars
Score
March 8, 2012 3:05:24 PM

THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY I CAN GET HOME PREMIUM EDITION WITH SERIVCE PACK 1 FOR £71.97 WHICH IN DOLLARS IS $114
Score
Related resources
March 8, 2012 3:06:13 PM

I ONLY WANT PRODUCT KEY CANT MICROSOFT DO ANY SORT OF DEAL
Score
a c 243 $ Windows 7
March 8, 2012 3:20:37 PM

You have to purchase a license. Period. There are no free versions of Windows 7.

BTW, easy on the ALL CAPSs. Means you are yelling and is considered rude.

Good luck!
Score
March 8, 2012 3:33:44 PM

jordanaire said:

You can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit. It has to be a new install. At the same time, if you have a friend that has 64 bit windows 7 and it's the same version(ie. home premium) you can use his disk to install and just use your 32 bit key when it asks for it. I used my brothers 64 bit disk to install, and my 32 bit key to activate/register Windows 7 so it was genuine. Worked perfect. They have to both be WINDOWS 7 though. Home premium 32bit-Home premium 64bit, Professional 32bit-Professional 64. Get what I'm saying. xp/vista key's won't work with win7 either btw.

Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2012 4:29:15 PM

jordanaire said:

I think you are getting confused... practicaly nothing of the cost is the media .... the cost is the actual product itself, so the development and support (they will be providing patches for many years etc).

So the cost is for the software (i.e. the key) - you cant expect a huge discount just coz you dont need the media.

Hope that helps put things into perspective foryou.

Cheers
March 15, 2012 12:13:50 AM

I thouht as much but I can't seem to convey that to microsoft,i know the key and rights is the expensive part but I should get a discount and only have to pay about £50 (im only saying about disks because i dont want to waste them because,would need a new product key for those other disk, a neverending cycle.They should give an option too give two product keys for maybye a extra £20 or so.If you dont need one disk you could give it to someone else.
Score
March 15, 2012 12:14:09 AM

Best answer selected by jordanaire.
Score
March 15, 2012 12:21:33 AM

£50 Because they sell both disks and product key for £100 and i only need one for 64 bit and places like amazon offer around £70 mark so microsoft should provide.
Score
March 15, 2012 12:57:28 AM

jordanaire said:
£50 Because they sell both disks and product key for £100 and i only need one for 64 bit and places like amazon offer around £70 mark so microsoft should provide.

I think your confusing the version and price to get both disks. The OEM versions are the cheap ones, and they only come with whatever version of Windows you buy. If you buy Windows 7 64bit OEM you only get the 64bit disk with it. It's the full retail that comes with both the 32 bit and 64bit versions, and it's quite a bit more expensive...

Windows 7 64bit OEM One DVD, and no support from MS unless you pay for it. This is outside of what the regular windows updates apply/fix. $99.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Windows 7 FULL retail, with both 32 and 64bit disks. Full support from MS. $189.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PS: I agree with what your tring to say though. If Someone pays full price for the FULL retail version of Windows 7 then you should get a key for the second disk. It is almost double the price of the OEM version after all...

Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 15, 2012 8:40:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!