Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Freezing during high memory/CPU usage

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2013 3:28:47 PM

Before I begin explaining my problem I'm going to run over the history of what has happened when I built my PC, and what might've caused it.

First, I short circuited the motherboard because I neglected standoff screws. After putting in standoff screws, the motherboard would not properly line up with the standoff screws so I put quite some force to get the motherboard to line up while the IO shield was in place.

Now the problem is, my computer can run absolutely fine under normal conditions. When it gets to a moment where I have to use a somewhat high percentage of my CPU/memory, my computer can randomly freeze with the sound cutting off under these conditions, with no blue screen of death, I have no choice but to shut it down manually. When it freezes, pressing any of the lock keys doesn't change the display on my keyboard. No problems were found when I ran the memtest that came with Windows 7. I'd prefer to know for sure what the problem is before I RMA the motherboard.
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 3:59:43 PM

memtest86
Score

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 471 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 4:35:10 PM

make sure the mb bios is up to date a lot of mb have bios patches and new cpu code. check that if your using an ssd the drive firmware is up to date. be care full of flash updating an ssd some of them will wipe the drive clean of all your data.
run cpu-z check that the ram speed and timing are fine. most time people forget to turn on xmp profile in ram. if your running an asus bios make sure your running stock speed not over clock. when you run over clock from the bios main page it can change the ram to bus timing from 1:1` to !:5 and cause issues. with cpu-z check that the mb loaded the ram speed right by reading the spd info. also check that your ram is on the mb qal list. run hardware monitor check the temps and voltages of your system. see if under hard load the power supply is holding and not rippling out.
Related resources
January 26, 2013 7:22:03 PM

smorizio said:
make sure the mb bios is up to date a lot of mb have bios patches and new cpu code. check that if your using an ssd the drive firmware is up to date. be care full of flash updating an ssd some of them will wipe the drive clean of all your data.
run cpu-z check that the ram speed and timing are fine. most time people forget to turn on xmp profile in ram. if your running an asus bios make sure your running stock speed not over clock. when you run over clock from the bios main page it can change the ram to bus timing from 1:1` to !:5 and cause issues. with cpu-z check that the mb loaded the ram speed right by reading the spd info. also check that your ram is on the mb qal list. run hardware monitor check the temps and voltages of your system. see if under hard load the power supply is holding and not rippling out.

Thanks, who knew that the motherboard driver CD didn't include BIOS updates.
Score
January 26, 2013 7:22:08 PM

Best answer selected by D3RP.
Score
!