Going to Ireland - Safe to take the 20D?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 22, 2005 3:53:20 PM

This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high priced
item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips to
Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?

Thanks in advance!

More about : ireland safe 20d

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:53:21 PM

"Robbie" <nospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
> priced
> item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips
> Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
> the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I've never heard of Ireland being a dangerous place. Russia, sure I
believe the warnings regarding theft, as well with any big European city.
To protect your belongings,
1) remove the luggage tags when you arrive and store them inside the
bag.
2) for your walkabout bags, use generic looking non-luggage brands. To
improve your security, it might be worth spending a few bucks to buy a
locally made canvas shopping bag or whatever common thing you see locals
carrying.
3) when you take out your gear, be mindful of what's around you but get
wound up about it. When you take out your camera, keep one wrap of the
neckstrap around your wrist so it can't be yanked easily. Being rushed or
nervous is no way to travel, and if there are any pickpockets or
would-be-theives around, they may actually target you since you'll tend to
be sloppy.

As for looking like a tourist - you will look like a tourist regardless
of the camera. (In fact, most tourists IME carry tiny P&S cameras and do
the snapshotting thing) My advice here has nothing to do with cameras -
observe the local mannerisms, way of speaking (loud/soft, close/distant,
etc), and ask questions. Very few places in the world have I ever
encountered locals who being _asked_ about their culture unless they're
clearly busy with something else. Most will be happy to give some useful
suggestions. Speak using proper English without fancy words and *WITHOUT
SLANG*. Think perfect 5th grade book report language - it's not that other
people are stupid, but there is a common form of English that is best
understood by all. Many people who are having trouble hearing a particular
kind of accent make things worse by talking 'down' using their local slang.

Dave
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:53:21 PM

>A friend recently warned against taking the
>camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high priced
>item for stealing/mugging.

Rubbish. My wife and I were just in Ireland a year ago. Spent a few
days in Dublin, then went about the rest of the country for about 10
days. Never found a place where we ever felt uneasy about 'street
people' and being accosted. As others have noted, any large city has
its undesirables and tough parts, but we didn't easily blunder into
them like you might easily do in many U.S. cities. In fact, I dare
say Dublin feels a whole lot safer than walking downtown in a number of
major cities in the U.S.
August 22, 2005 3:53:21 PM

Robbie wrote:
> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high priced
> item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips to
> Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
> the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hi Robbie,

I took my Canon Digital Rebel to Scotland.
I had no problems.

The power supply that came with the Digital Rebel is automatically
switchable to 240 voltage. The only thing I had to do was go to Radio
Shack and get the adapter plug for the country I was going to.

You may want to check your user's manaual and see if the power supply
is one of the U.S. only, (110, or 120), or if it is 110-240 voltage).

In Scotland, nobody seemed to notice someone packing around a camera.
Nobody even commented on it. In one pub, someone commented that we
were Americans, because he supported America. Other then that, there
wasn't much about it.

Traveling around Scotland, I didn't see any areas that look really bad.
I didn't see any areas I would be afraid of walking around in. I
didn't see anything that looked close to the bad areas in even Salt
Lake City, let alone Los Angeles.

Ireland might be a bit rougher then Scotland because of the IRA.
However, they have been dormant of late. I am not sure, but I think
they actually might have come to terms with the Brittish Government.
(You might have to search Google, Yahoo or Dogpile on this.)

Anyway, if you use reasonable care you should be fine.

roland
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:53:21 PM

David J Taylor wrote:
> piperut wrote:
> []
> > Ireland might be a bit rougher then Scotland because of the IRA.
> > However, they have been dormant of late. I am not sure, but I think
> > they actually might have come to terms with the Brittish Government.
> > (You might have to search Google, Yahoo or Dogpile on this.)
>
> Dublin is fine - it's a city I would return to any time. Even better now
> that there is a complete ban on smoking in public places - much more
> pleasant! Many fine photos for DSLRs and point-and-shoot!
>
> David

You know how the press is - they jump on anything negative like the IRA
and blow it out of shape. I also forgot about the ban on smoking in
Ireland.

I guess they have even banned smoking in pubs!

roland
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:53:21 PM

Brian Baird wrote:
> In article <X5nOe.93983$G8.40958@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
> taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
> > > Sweet Jesus! Me and my sinuses will have to visit.
> >
> > Scotland is also enforcing a ban starting April next year. England
> > sometime soon as well. Helps keep your camera cleaner!
>
> Screw my camera, I'm more concerned with the splitting smoke-induced
> headaches I won't have to deal with.
>
> I have to say that when I was in London earlier in the year that the
> reputation of Brits smoking like chimneys was pretty much unfounded.
> People in DC smoke way more, and with a lot less consideration.
> --
> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird

Here in Utah there are not very many smokers, and all the restaurants
an non-smaoking. The bars and clubs people smoke in, but they keep
trying to change that. If they have banned smoking in the pubs in
Ireleand, I guess they will succeed here also. I am not sure about
banning smoking in bars... it seems to go together.

roland
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:53:22 PM

"David Geesaman" <dgeesamannospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D eci0901q4a@news3.newsguy.com...
> 3) when you take out your gear, be mindful of what's around you but

don't

> get wound up about it. When you take out your camera, keep one wrap of
> the Think perfect 5th grade book report language - it's not that other
> people are stupid, but there is a common form of English that is best
> understood by all. Many people who are having trouble hearing a
> particular kind of accent make things worse by talking 'down' using their
> local slang.

People like to help others who they can effectively communicate with.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:01:26 PM

This is nonsence - someone is in sane, bullshiting you - or he hasn't been
in Ireland.

Ireland is a very friendly place, friendly people and very safe. It is
probably safer to bring it than to leave it at home, almost wherever you
live. You could even have it around your neck in the night, going between
pubs in Dublin.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:06:57 PM

Robbie wrote:

> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D.

> Thanks in advance!

Take a SD10, then you're save from theft.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:21:01 PM

In article <Q0jOe.3978$Vg7.3804@trnddc06>, nospamforme@hotmail.com
says...
> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high priced
> item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips to
> Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
> the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?

Your friend is crazy.

Ireland is a tourist-friendly place.

--
Save Photography | Shoot some film today!
Email: drop rods and insert surfaces

That is what I thought I had read somewhere.
Thanks!

In article <MPG.1d73efa9e53f6d5c98968b@news.mweb.co.za>, Rox-off
<roxydurban@empirerods.com> wrote:

> Your friend is crazy.
>
> Ireland is a tourist-friendly place.

And they're all drunk over there anyway.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:21:03 PM

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> In article <MPG.1d73efa9e53f6d5c98968b@news.mweb.co.za>, Rox-off
> <roxydurban@empirerods.com> wrote:
>

>>Your friend is crazy.
>>
>>Ireland is a tourist-friendly place.
>

> And they're all drunk over there anyway.

I'll drink to that. :)
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:42:35 PM

Ireland in general is very friendly/safe for tourists.

However Dublin does have gangs of street urchins who will crowd you and
steal anything they can including bags, cameras, mobiles and wallets.
Some care is advised... keep hold of bags etc. and avoid looking slueless -
as you would in any major city.

Guy

"Robbie" <nospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
> priced
> item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips
> Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
> the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:36:30 PM

piperut wrote:
[]
> Ireland might be a bit rougher then Scotland because of the IRA.
> However, they have been dormant of late. I am not sure, but I think
> they actually might have come to terms with the Brittish Government.
> (You might have to search Google, Yahoo or Dogpile on this.)

Dublin is fine - it's a city I would return to any time. Even better now
that there is a complete ban on smoking in public places - much more
pleasant! Many fine photos for DSLRs and point-and-shoot!

David
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:11:38 PM

piperut wrote:
[]
> You know how the press is - they jump on anything negative like the
> IRA and blow it out of shape. I also forgot about the ban on smoking
> in Ireland.
>
> I guess they have even banned smoking in pubs!
>
> roland

Yes, that's right.

For once I feel happy going into pubs where I never would have before, I
would always have been trying to dodge the smoke, and would have felt
generally uncomfortable. What you now see is that there are small groups
of smokers hanging about outside the pubs, and some pubs have even put a
TV showing football for the smokers over the door!

The one negative thing is that when you want to take advantage of the
pleasant outdoor dining at lunchtime or early evening, you may be stuck
with the smokers!

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:30:10 PM

In article <2imOe.93942$G8.65370@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
> Even better now
> that there is a complete ban on smoking in public places - much more
> pleasant!

Sweet Jesus! Me and my sinuses will have to visit.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:31:51 PM

Brian Baird wrote:
> In article <2imOe.93942$G8.65370@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
> taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
>> Even better now
>> that there is a complete ban on smoking in public places - much more
>> pleasant!
>
> Sweet Jesus! Me and my sinuses will have to visit.

Scotland is also enforcing a ban starting April next year. England
sometime soon as well. Helps keep your camera cleaner!

David
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:39:49 PM

In article <X5nOe.93983$G8.40958@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
> > Sweet Jesus! Me and my sinuses will have to visit.
>
> Scotland is also enforcing a ban starting April next year. England
> sometime soon as well. Helps keep your camera cleaner!

Screw my camera, I'm more concerned with the splitting smoke-induced
headaches I won't have to deal with.

I have to say that when I was in London earlier in the year that the
reputation of Brits smoking like chimneys was pretty much unfounded.
People in DC smoke way more, and with a lot less consideration.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:47:25 PM

Brian Baird wrote:
[]
> Screw my camera, I'm more concerned with the splitting smoke-induced
> headaches I won't have to deal with.

Sounds like you're even worse than me, then.

> I have to say that when I was in London earlier in the year that the
> reputation of Brits smoking like chimneys was pretty much unfounded.
> People in DC smoke way more, and with a lot less consideration.

Some places in the UK are bad for smoke, but things are changing. Smoking
can often be found with loud "music". Most restaurants will at least
offer a no-smoking zone even today, some are already smoke free. Most of
the Scandinavian countries have some sort of ban as well, although I'm not
sure when the bans come into force in Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:49:43 PM

In article <1124729100.165764.94250@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu says...
> Here in Utah there are not very many smokers, and all the restaurants
> an non-smaoking. The bars and clubs people smoke in, but they keep
> trying to change that. If they have banned smoking in the pubs in
> Ireleand, I guess they will succeed here also. I am not sure about
> banning smoking in bars... it seems to go together.

I don't go out to bars specifically because they are poorly ventilated
and exposure to that much smoke will trigger a massive sinus headache.

When our county banned smoking indoors, I actually found myself
frequenting a lot of restaurants and pool halls more frequently. I
wasn't alone - sales tax receipts from restaurants and bars increased
after the ban went into effect.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

In article <xknOe.93997$G8.44852@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
> > Screw my camera, I'm more concerned with the splitting smoke-induced
> > headaches I won't have to deal with.
>
> Sounds like you're even worse than me, then.

I am. I have to hold my breath when entering certain buildings due to
the number of people ignoring the "DO NOT SMOKE WITHIN 25 FEET OF
ENTRANCE" signs or I WILL get a headache.

> > I have to say that when I was in London earlier in the year that the
> > reputation of Brits smoking like chimneys was pretty much unfounded.
> > People in DC smoke way more, and with a lot less consideration.
>
> Some places in the UK are bad for smoke, but things are changing. Smoking
> can often be found with loud "music". Most restaurants will at least
> offer a no-smoking zone even today, some are already smoke free. Most of
> the Scandinavian countries have some sort of ban as well, although I'm not
> sure when the bans come into force in Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

The worst places for smoke are rock clubs here. No ventilation, no
consideration of others on the part of smokers.

I don't go out to see live music unless it's someone I absolutely HAVE
to see. I hate having to stumble home at 3 am, take a shower and then
IMMEDIATELY wash my clothes lest the stale smoke smell permeate through
the hamper. Icky icky icky.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

As a 20D owner and living in Ireland I can assure you there is no danger.

Abide by common sense rules in major cities and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip.

Carrigman

"Robbie" <nospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
> priced
> item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips
> Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
> the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:32:50 AM

"piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message

> David J Taylor wrote:
>> piperut wrote:
>> []
>> > Ireland might be a bit rougher then Scotland because of the IRA.
>> > However, they have been dormant of late. I am not sure, but I think
>> > they actually might have come to terms with the Brittish Government.
>> > (You might have to search Google, Yahoo or Dogpile on this.)
>>
>> Dublin is fine - it's a city I would return to any time. Even better now
>> that there is a complete ban on smoking in public places - much more
>> pleasant! Many fine photos for DSLRs and point-and-shoot!
>>
>> David
>
> You know how the press is - they jump on anything negative like the IRA
> and blow it out of shape. I also forgot about the ban on smoking in
> Ireland.
>
> I guess they have even banned smoking in pubs!
>
> roland

IRA in Dublin ? Why not Al Q as well? But yes - smoking is not allowed in
pubs anymore. But Guinness is, and good pubs have an extra tap with extra
cold stout. That's style. So - don't bring the camera, someone could put it
under this tap and it would catch a cold...
August 23, 2005 12:35:00 AM

As an Irish-American I will fight you for that statement.....All three of
you.
"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.1d73efa9e53f6d5c98968b@news.mweb.co.za>, Rox-off
> <roxydurban@empirerods.com> wrote:
>
>> Your friend is crazy.
>>
>> Ireland is a tourist-friendly place.
>
> And they're all drunk over there anyway.
August 23, 2005 12:36:09 AM

What is the use of buying a good camera if you are afriad of using it?
Insure the camera and enjoy youself!

Labrat
"Robbie" <nospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
> priced
> item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips
> Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
> the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:56:59 AM

David J Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:

> For once I feel happy going into pubs where I never would have before, I
> would always have been trying to dodge the smoke, and would have felt
> generally uncomfortable. What you now see is that there are small groups
> of smokers hanging about outside the pubs, and some pubs have even put a
> TV showing football for the smokers over the door!

New York City now has a whole culture developed around people going outside
to smoke, since the ban went into effect.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

"Robbie" <nospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
priced
> item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips

Take a Sigma. Nobody will touch you.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:27:52 AM

> In article <Q0jOe.3978$Vg7.3804@trnddc06>, nospamforme@hotmail.com
> says...
> > This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and
had
> > planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> > camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
priced
> > item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips
> > Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to
take
> > the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> > labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?

Print out little labels that read: "Pentax" and stick them on your camera.

People will drop coins in your cap, offer you their old blankets, buy you
hot meals and point out the best places to sleep overnight for free.

--
Jeff R.
(There's got to be some benefits.)

Jeff R wrote:

>>In article <Q0jOe.3978$Vg7.3804@trnddc06>, nospamforme@hotmail.com
>>says...
>>
>>>This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and
>
> had
>
>>>planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
>>>camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
>
> priced
>
>>>item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips

>>>Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to
>
> take
>
>>>the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
>>>labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?
>

> Print out little labels that read: "Pentax" and stick them on your camera.
>
> People will drop coins in your cap, offer you their old blankets, buy you
> hot meals and point out the best places to sleep overnight for free.

Oddly enough, didn't work out that way while I was in Scotland. Of
course I was actually carrying a real Pentax, instead of a wannabe.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:42:29 AM

Good point on the power supply. I will swing by Radio shack and get an
adapter.

> Robbie wrote:
> > This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and
had
> > planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> > camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
priced
> > item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips
> > Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to
take
> > the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> > labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> Hi Robbie,
>
> I took my Canon Digital Rebel to Scotland.
> I had no problems.
>
> The power supply that came with the Digital Rebel is automatically
> switchable to 240 voltage. The only thing I had to do was go to Radio
> Shack and get the adapter plug for the country I was going to.
>
> You may want to check your user's manaual and see if the power supply
> is one of the U.S. only, (110, or 120), or if it is 110-240 voltage).
>
> In Scotland, nobody seemed to notice someone packing around a camera.
> Nobody even commented on it. In one pub, someone commented that we
> were Americans, because he supported America. Other then that, there
> wasn't much about it.
>
> Traveling around Scotland, I didn't see any areas that look really bad.
> I didn't see any areas I would be afraid of walking around in. I
> didn't see anything that looked close to the bad areas in even Salt
> Lake City, let alone Los Angeles.
>
> Ireland might be a bit rougher then Scotland because of the IRA.
> However, they have been dormant of late. I am not sure, but I think
> they actually might have come to terms with the Brittish Government.
> (You might have to search Google, Yahoo or Dogpile on this.)
>
> Anyway, if you use reasonable care you should be fine.
>
> roland

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:44:22 AM

Thanks carrigan!

"carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D ecve0$r27$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> As a 20D owner and living in Ireland I can assure you there is no danger.
>
> Abide by common sense rules in major cities and you'll be fine.
>
> Enjoy your trip.
>
> Carrigman
>
> "Robbie" <nospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and
had
> > planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> > camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
> > priced
> > item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips
> > Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to
take
> > the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> > labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:08:38 AM

Zeke Galama wrote:
> You could even have it around your neck in the night, going
> between pubs in Dublin.

Although it might get broken when he falls over drunk. :-)

-Mike
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:59:26 AM

David Geesaman <dgeesamannospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

<good points>

>Speak using proper English without fancy words and *WITHOUT
>SLANG*. Think perfect 5th grade book report language - it's not that other
>people are stupid, but there is a common form of English that is best
>understood by all. Many people who are having trouble hearing a particular
>kind of accent make things worse by talking 'down' using their local slang.

And don't go asking anyone for a ride.

Ireland probably has a higher average income than the US now, so
a 20D won't always be anything special anyway. And as David says,
you'll be a tourist from a mile off no matter what you do. Just
try not to piss anyone off and they'll be less likely to trash
your camera just to spite you. [Not that that's likely, but..]

Use the "vivid" colour setting and "soft" sharpening for that
dream-like emerald-isle effect. Depending on where you're coming
from, you may want your own customs to know you're leaving with it,
so they don't charge you for a new camera on your way back in. Some
countries have a customs egress registration scheme.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

Brian Baird wrote:

> In article <2imOe.93942$G8.65370@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
> taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
> > Even better now
> > that there is a complete ban on smoking in public places - much more
> > pleasant!
>
> Sweet Jesus! Me and my sinuses will have to visit.
> --
> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird

Hey, Brian, how about a trip to New Zealand? Smoking is totally banned
indoors anywhere, even workplaces. No smoking on buses, trains,
aircraft, or in pubs, restaurants, hotels, even taxis - it's great. As
a life-long asthmatic, it's doubly great.

Your 20D will get overworked with the scenery here, and the people are
friendly. Fly Air New Zealand - no smoking on international flights -
any flight for that matter. Your dollar is worth $NZ 1.43, so everything
is cheaper here. {:-)

</plug>

Colin D.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:28:16 PM

In article <430A6D9F.2051A25D@killspam.127.0.0.1>,
ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1 says...
> Hey, Brian, how about a trip to New Zealand? Smoking is totally banned
> indoors anywhere, even workplaces. No smoking on buses, trains,
> aircraft, or in pubs, restaurants, hotels, even taxis - it's great. As
> a life-long asthmatic, it's doubly great.
>
> Your 20D will get overworked with the scenery here, and the people are
> friendly. Fly Air New Zealand - no smoking on international flights -
> any flight for that matter. Your dollar is worth $NZ 1.43, so everything
> is cheaper here. {:-)

I might just do that the next time the missus is up for a vacation.

The best part is, I don't need to learn another language. Take that,
France!
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:28:16 PM

In article <430A6D9F.2051A25D@killspam.127.0.0.1>,
ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1 says...

> Hey, Brian, how about a trip to New Zealand? Smoking is totally banned
> indoors anywhere, even workplaces. No smoking on buses, trains,
> aircraft, or in pubs, restaurants, hotels, even taxis - it's great. As
> a life-long asthmatic, it's doubly great.
>
> Your 20D will get overworked with the scenery here, and the people are
> friendly. Fly Air New Zealand - no smoking on international flights -
> any flight for that matter. Your dollar is worth $NZ 1.43, so everything
> is cheaper here. {:-)

It's been that way in SA for almost a decade.

I can't wait for them to ban smoking outright.

--
Save Photography | Shoot some film today!
Email: drop rods and insert surfaces
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:49:10 AM

Robbie skrev:

> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high priced
> item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips to
> Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
> the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?

What all Americans have to realise is that "Europe" is a lot more
socioeconomically and culturally diverse than the US. The difference
between Albania and Norway is approximately equal to the difference
between Colombia and Japan, to take examples on a global scale. Thus,
it is completely impossible to generalise about "Europe" as a whole in
such terms as security from stealing and mugging.

Experience from Russia - Europe's current Wild East - is not relevant
at all for a trip to Ireland. Nor is experience from the most
tourist-crowded places in the Meditteranean area, where the sheer
volume of tourists attracts an international crowd of mostly
pickpockets, but, to some extent, also muggers.

Ireland is probably one of the safest lands in Europe for lugging
around a 20D at the moment. The risk of getting pissed in a pub and
forgetting the camera there is probably a lot greater than risking to
lose it by mugging.

Jan Böhme
August 24, 2005 7:03:13 AM

In article <4309c4c8$0$22219$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, contact.me@this.
ng says...

>> In article <Q0jOe.3978$Vg7.3804@trnddc06>, nospamforme@hotmail.com
>> says...
>> > This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and
>had
>> > planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
>> > camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
>priced
>> > item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips
>> > Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to
>take
>> > the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
>> > labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?
>
>Print out little labels that read: "Pentax" and stick them on your camera.
>
>People will drop coins in your cap, offer you their old blankets, buy you
>hot meals and point out the best places to sleep overnight for free.
>
>--
>Jeff R.
>(There's got to be some benefits.)

You beat me to it, as I was going to say Sigma!

Seriously, Ireland should not be any problem. I've done all of UK with pro-
gear and no one has given me second notice. Just be friendly, or they may take
it away from you, and flog you with it.

Have a nice, safe trip, and exercise normal caution, like not walking away
from an open camera bag, while you get that "right" angle.

Hunt
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:09:36 AM

I have traveled all over the world with my D70 + numerous lens. Just back
from the Ukraine, never a problem. Just stay out of dark alleys at night no
matter what country you are in, even here at home.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:09:39 PM

"Robbie" <nospamforme@hotmail.com> writes:

> This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
> planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
> camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high priced
> item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips to
> Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
> the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
> labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?

I've never had problems with camera equipment (or anything else) being
stolen in England, most of western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand,
despite near-hysterical warnings being circulated at the time of some
of my trips. I've carried everything from a Bolsey 35 to a pair of
Olympus OM-4Ts with lenses.
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/&gt; Much of which is still down
!