Sign in with
Your question

Tough Decision...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2012 12:45:09 PM

Gtx 670 vs 7970??
I m playing with a single monitor at 1080p with a 3570k.
Which one would you suggest and I know there is no such thing as future proofing a pc but which one would last longer in the long run in terms of gaming??

More about : tough decision

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2012 12:51:57 PM

Thats a perfect match, get 7970 with 3570k.
Your PC will last many years.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 12:57:59 PM

Well the 7970 no doubt, unless u r a Nvidia boy and plays alot of PhysX depending games, otherwise the 7970 is a very solid GPU...
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2012 1:02:34 PM

Is the PhysX thing actually really worth it???

Unless there is something I dont know, its not that special..is it?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 1:06:39 PM

dqdq said:

HERE is a list of the current games that use Phys X. If you don't play any of them or maybe just play one, get the 7970.

If you get a 7970 don't spend the extra cash for the Ghz Edi. Get a regular 7970 and Overclock it yourself.
m
l
December 10, 2012 1:09:13 PM

PhysX is an advantage you get with nVidia, but not a major one. A much more major advantage is adaptive v-sync.

V-sync (as in standard v-sync) is a technique used to manage framerates, so that if your framerate exceeds your monitor's refresh rate (typically 60Hz), you won't experience screen tearing. All cards support standard v-sync. The drawback is that if your card drops below 60fps, even just slightly, the framerate will be significantly reduced by v-sync. If your framerate drops below 60fps and you leave v-sync enabled to prevent tearing, standard v-sync (Radeon) will reduce performance, while adaptive v-sync (GeForce) will deliver smooth, fluid performance, since it won't restrict your framerate like standard v-sync does.

You can read about it in detail at http://www.hardocp.com/article/201 [...] y_review/3.

"With Adaptive VSync turned on, the feeling of the game felt smoother compared to regular VSync turned on. The performance felt much like the game felt with VSync turned off. This is the kind of technology we like to see which has improved the innate nature of the gameplay experience. If all you need is 60 FPS in a game for it to be playable, then why not just go ahead and cap the game there so it doesn't exceed your refresh rate. Then, if the game has to fall below that, allow the game to perform at its real-time actual framerate, and Adaptive VSync allows that. It really is the best of all worlds, with no drawbacks. We didn't find any negatives to using Adaptive VSync, and we tried it out in a handful of games."

Plus the GTX670 costs less, so you're getting more for less! I wouldn't hesitate to grab a GTX670 if I was buying now (specifically the EVGA FTW model).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2012 1:12:48 PM

Adaptive vsync is the same as an fps limiter. Download MSI afterburner and use riva tuner to limit fps to 60 on an AMD card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2012 1:15:01 PM

bc5 said:
PhysX is an advantage you get with nVidia, but not a major one. A much more major advantage is adaptive v-sync.

V-sync (as in standard v-sync) is a technique used to manage framerates, so that if your framerate exceeds your monitor's refresh rate (typically 60Hz), you won't experience screen tearing. All cards support standard v-sync. The drawback is that if your card drops below 60fps, even just slightly, the framerate will be significantly reduced by v-sync. If your framerate drops below 60fps and you leave v-sync enabled to prevent tearing, standard v-sync (Radeon) will reduce performance, while adaptive v-sync (GeForce) will deliver smooth, fluid performance, since it won't restrict your framerate like standard v-sync does.

You can read about it in detail at http://www.hardocp.com/article/201 [...] y_review/3.

"With Adaptive VSync turned on, the feeling of the game felt smoother compared to regular VSync turned on. The performance felt much like the game felt with VSync turned off. This is the kind of technology we like to see which has improved the innate nature of the gameplay experience. If all you need is 60 FPS in a game for it to be playable, then why not just go ahead and cap the game there so it doesn't exceed your refresh rate. Then, if the game has to fall below that, allow the game to perform at its real-time actual framerate, and Adaptive VSync allows that. It really is the best of all worlds, with no drawbacks. We didn't find any negatives to using Adaptive VSync, and we tried it out in a handful of games."

Plus the GTX670 costs less, so you're getting more for less! I wouldn't hesitate to grab a GTX670 if I was buying now (specifically the EVGA FTW model).

+1

Also remember the lower power consumption and FXAA which can be turned on in every game to increase Visuals without sacrificing performance . GTX 670 will be more than enough and upgrading to Radeon 7970 won't give you that much better results.

Also remember the boost technology that overclocks your GPU when extra performance is needed.
m
l
December 10, 2012 1:18:04 PM

thanks guys
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2012 1:22:10 PM

wanderer11 said:
Adaptive vsync is the same as an fps limiter. Download MSI afterburner and use riva tuner to limit fps to 60 on an AMD card.

That isn't the truth. Frame limiting does not prevent screen tearing, while adaptive Vsync does that.
m
l
December 10, 2012 1:23:44 PM

Have fun with it :-)
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2012 1:48:21 PM

There are reasons to go with the 670 but I don't want to get in a forum fight with every AMD fanboy :p  get the cheaper card and go for it..
so if you can find a 7970 cheaper than 670, do it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 10:17:06 PM

dqdq said:

As i told you before, if you play games that supports PhysX, then definitely go for the gtx 670, games like arkham city and borderlands do really suck without physX, as bigcyco stated above there are alot reasons to go with the 670 but also if you can find the 7970 cheaper, get it, playing many games that supports PhysX, go for the 670 and believe me PhysX worth it, because the 7970 will give u a difference that you will barley notice, both of the cards will drop constant 60 fps on most games at 1080p...in the other hand the 670 gives you the new kepler architecture features such as adaptive Vsync, TXAA and FXAA and much less power consumption....

check this out,,,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZFRLpz5mYk

7970 >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzEVixM-L4s
m
l
!