Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2013 5:57:57 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime in February

Budget Range:$850

System used Primarily for Gaming (Skyrim and Minecraft with Mods), Internet for School/Recreation, and Photo/Video editing.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Nvidia Graphics, Intel CPUs, and ASUS MOBOs but these brands aren't set in stone

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: I'm not sure of his current res.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: This is a build I'm making for my friend. He currently owns a very old mac so he would like to build his own PC because he prefers windows and he would like to take advantage of steam sales, but he isn't good at researching (not that I'm much better) so he asked me to pick the parts and he'll put it together.

So far I have picked out the follwing:

FSP Group RAIDER 650W (RAIDER 650) ATX12V2.92 SLI Certified 80PLUS BRONZE Certified +12V Single rail Power Supply compatible with Intel Core i3 i5 i7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Now with all of that I'm at $887.94
I'm already over his budget and I havn't picked out a case or a monitor yet. I'm thinking I can lower the RAM to 4 GBs to cut off $20 or so, after that I'm thinking it would be smarter to sacrifice the CPU because Skyrim will need a good card to run at high settings.

Any help is much appreciated!

More about : complete system

Best solution

January 25, 2013 6:45:14 PM

Quote:
I'm already over his budget and I havn't picked out a case or a monitor yet. I'm thinking I can lower the RAM to 4 GBs to cut off $20 or so, after that I'm thinking it would be smarter to sacrifice the CPU because Skyrim will need a good card to run at high settings.

No - sacrifice the motherboard. It's an X79 motherboard and is crazy expensive for this budget. Get something that's way less expensive. If you're not overclocking see the notes below.

I'm not quite sure about that power supply and that motherboard is expensive and won't work with that CPU. Also for $900 there's no reason you should be buying hardware from two generations ago.

If you want to stay in budget I'd recommend skipping overclocking and go with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $845.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-25 15:58 EST-0500)
January 25, 2013 10:54:58 PM

I was going to do something very similar to the above's post. You could probably get a cheaper case, unless you really want it. Also, x79 isn't compatible with the cpu you have selected. G-unit's build is perfect, if he doesn't care about over clocking.
Score
Related resources
January 25, 2013 11:21:20 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
I was going to do something very similar to the above's post. You could probably get a cheaper case, unless you really want it. Also, x79 isn't compatible with the cpu you have selected. G-unit's build is perfect, if he doesn't care about over clocking.

Yeah it doesn't always work for every budget - on a $900 or less build I usually skip that option.
Score
January 28, 2013 4:44:12 PM

Whoops! the CPU in my computer is a 2011 so I automatically looked for a 2011 board. Also thank you for picking out an optical drive and an HDD as apparantly I didn't even think about those obvious necessities. I guess my brain was too tired from work that day!

Anyway, the reason I chose that power supply was in case he wanted to add another GPU down the line to SLI or crossfire, or in case he wanted to add any fans etc. etc. Don't you think only 500 would make it hard for him to grow? Or do you think if/when the time comes that he does want to add on he should buy a new PSU with the new parts?

Lastly you didn't include a heatsink/fan for the CPU in that list. Is the one I chose fine, or because you said to avoid overclocking you think he won't need one? Thanks again for all your help!!!
Score
January 28, 2013 5:04:53 PM

Quote:
Anyway, the reason I chose that power supply was in case he wanted to add another GPU down the line to SLI or crossfire, or in case he wanted to add any fans etc. etc. Don't you think only 500 would make it hard for him to grow? Or do you think if/when the time comes that he does want to add on he should buy a new PSU with the new parts?

650 is plenty but make sure you get a quality power supply. The one I chose is very highly rated by the experts (Jonnyguru, Hardware Secrets, etc) and is made by Seasonic. Check lots of sources before you buy.

Quote:
Lastly you didn't include a heatsink/fan for the CPU in that list. Is the one I chose fine, or because you said to avoid overclocking you think he won't need one? Thanks again for all your help!!!

Well I think on this budget you could definitely sacrifice overclocking and still get a very capable system. I didn't include the heat sink because if you're not overclocking you could run off the stock fan and be fine. If you want the option for overclocking replace the motherboard I suggested with a low end Z77 / Z75 board and then you can buy a 3570K later on.
Score
January 31, 2013 7:52:43 PM

In that case I believe your build is perfect and I thank you once again not only for your help with my oversights like the optical drive, but also for taking the time to track down everything, price everything, and answer my follow up questions.

Now that that's wrapped up do you think you could convince my friend to buy and play starcraft 2 with me? Joking of course :) 
Score
January 31, 2013 7:53:11 PM

Best answer selected by ultrattacker.
Score