• Gigabyte
  • 10 %
  • HIS
  • 0 %
  • Powercolor
  • 0 %
December 10, 2012 1:38:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been getting some help from some excellent people on this forum and I am looking to purchase a 7870 2gb. The issue I'm having is brand selection. I've read everything from brand doesn't matter to specific brands to trust. But each thread i read gives a different answer on what brands.

SO...please vote on your recommendation..

More about : brand amd 7870 2gb

December 10, 2012 5:20:59 PM

From my personal experience i dont like Gigabyte cards and prefer either MSI or Sapphire when it comes to AMD gpu's.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 6:02:40 PM
Related resources
December 10, 2012 6:12:42 PM

XFX not preferred?
December 10, 2012 6:16:42 PM

Sorry....i forgot to add it to the poll when i created it. I will certainly keep a manual tally of you xfx votes. Your opinions are appreciated.
December 10, 2012 6:29:24 PM

i would go saphhire HSI or XFX i have XFX right now and it nice
December 10, 2012 6:42:19 PM

umm...."HSI"..is that "MSI" or "HIS"
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:02:40 PM

I meant to make mine for HIS lol. But there are two brands I tend to stay away from both XFX (never getting one) and PowerColor (same goes for this brand). Both regularly suffer from coil whine.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:07:25 PM

Rip off. I wouldn't ever get XFX as I said before.
December 10, 2012 7:14:08 PM

i don't know how much it matters but your linked article is about 7950's....and i am getting a 7870...

I sort of feel like no matter what choice i make, some will like the card, and others will not.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:18:45 PM

I linked that article and said

"If it was right now though I think the one HIS would be the winner since it scored the best in this article (it's the same cooler)."

All the coolers are the same as the 7870 cards so the review is still relevant just the FPS will be slightly lower. So you can look at the temperature and noise and get a feel for what is the best.

So everything in the article but the power consumption and overclocking is good info.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-revi...
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:21:00 PM

andrewcarr said:
Rip off. I wouldn't ever get XFX as I said before.

Xfx not bad. I have only good experience with them. When I had GS7900 when I RMA it they send me 8800GT. When I had GTX280 I RMA and got GTX285....when I had 6950 RMA it I got 6950 lol but with dual cooler...not bad it it except the RMA process.

Anyway, now I have MSI...the build quality seems much better( metal). I would not get gigabit it feels cheap (platic)
December 10, 2012 7:22:58 PM

Ok i'll keep the HIS in mind (although the article says the turbo isn't avail in N.A., and the non-turbo is meh; however i havent looked to see if that is still the case)
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 10, 2012 7:24:48 PM

I like gigbyte the best. It has what I think is the best cooler in class with Windforce 3x and they are generally pretty good with Quality Control. Both me and my friend are using 7850OC's without issues and also ran a Gigabyte p965 and EP43 without issues for years (5 ish).
December 10, 2012 7:26:46 PM

I voted MSI, but I wouldn't buy one of these anyway when I could pick up an EVGA GTX660.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:34:55 PM

The turbo model is in the US (I even posted under that article on the third page of comments the newegg link to it the day it came out).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Although it was since discontinued.

But anyways that's irrelevant to this discussion since that's a 7950 and this is a 7870. There are overclocked versions but I'd say just to get the regular version and to overclock it yourself.
Stock- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Overclock- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 11, 2012 2:58:12 AM

hmmm..well MSI seems to have the most votes despite the article you linked. I don't know how to overclock...so i'm guessing i'll need to spend some time in the OC threads.
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 3:38:46 AM

Overclocking for noobs.

Go to this screen when you install the software.
http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/AMD...
Slide the bar up and click click on the test button (it's not in the picture but it is in the newer software versions, that one is a bit old). If it passes you're set. If it's your first time and you have an AMD card that's all I suggest so you can't screw it up and ruin your new card.

MSI isn't a bad brand at all and I also highly recommend their cards. But their also the best for overclocking so if you want to go even higher overclock setting in the future you can install other overclocking programs such as MSI afterburner.
December 12, 2012 2:33:30 PM

either MSI with dual fans for OC
December 12, 2012 2:47:50 PM

Thank you for your articles. And i hate you o.O

Edit: After spending quite a bit of time reading the comments after those reviews it seems that there is a lot to be desired in terms of appropriate testing methods. For starters Stock amd vs OC Nvidia....wtf? If that were a professional study for an engineering or science journal it would be thrown out due to the number of imbalanced variables, especially considering it produced results that are in direct opposition to countless of other reviews.

So while i do appreciate the links, i still think the AMD is the choice, AND it is $70 cheaper, AND comes with two games, AND can be OC'd.
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 12, 2012 9:03:24 PM

I too was surprised at the way Techreport did the review. They should have used stock cards vs stock cards. The frame latency issue I think is with the boost Bios causing some lag time when it kicks in. This should not be an issue with the 7870 regardless.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 10:20:38 PM

mastermoirich said:
Thank you for your articles. And i hate you o.O

Edit: After spending quite a bit of time reading the comments after those reviews it seems that there is a lot to be desired in terms of appropriate testing methods. For starters Stock amd vs OC Nvidia....wtf? If that were a professional study for an engineering or science journal it would be thrown out due to the number of imbalanced variables, especially considering it produced results that are in direct opposition to countless of other reviews.

So while i do appreciate the links, i still think the AMD is the choice, AND it is $70 cheaper, AND comes with two games, AND can be OC'd.

LOL :-) Yeah it's a pretty big deal... I think a bigger deal than people realise. At the risk of sounding like Apple, it's something that changes everything. It puts AMD in a really bad position. Frame latency benchmarking is something we'll be seeing a lot more of in the future. And that's the reason it's in opposition to all these other reviews - they're using a different measure of performance.

This testing is a much more accurate representation of 'smoothness' than frames/second, which is crude, oversimplified and doesn't give an accurate idea of performance. If you check out the first page on the second link there's a really good explanation - easy to understand and really highlights the flaws of frames/second benching.

As for the factory overclock, yes that was a mistake. THG have used factory-overclocked cards, but they clock them back down to stock frequencies. However! The factory overclock on the card couldn't have accounted for more than the tiniest fraction of those differences. They're far too big to be explained away by a modest overclock. Real world performance from the overclock would be negligible.

Obviously an article like this that turns everything we thought we knew upside down is going to attract massive criticism. 200+ comments! But people believed the world was flat for a lot longer than we've believed frames/second is the be-all and end-all of performance measures. New ideas there attracted a lot of criticism too, made a lot of people angry. Personally, I'm reluctant to accept that the hours I've spent analysing benchmark charts were a waste, but for me, that's preferable to continued ignorance. I'd far prefer to have more useful knowledge moving forward, even if it does mean learning it all over again.

And by the way, GTX660 will also overclock ;-)
!