Sign in with
Your question

Weird hardware issue.

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2013 6:16:49 PM

I got a new CPU/Mobo today and installed everything like I have many times before.

I have two HDD's that are the same make/model (no RAID). On one drive I have Windows 7 Pro installed, on the other I have my files and games.

When I go into the BIOS to set up the boot devices/sequence, it shows the HDD that has my files and games, and it shows my DVD drive, but it doesn't show my system drive.

However, if I go to the area where it lists attached devices, it lists both HDD's and the DVD drive as it should. There is an option to "force" the computer to boot to the drive, and it begins the process, but a few seconds after the windows logo comes up, I get a BSOD for an inaccessible boot device (0x0000007B for reference).

Any thoughts? Posting from my handy Laptop...

More about : weird hardware issue

a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2013 6:19:26 PM

Generally when switching motherboards you need to reinstall windows. Sometimes you can do a repair install but it isn't recommended.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2013 6:24:59 PM

There should be a setting in the BIOS where you can select which of the 2 hard disk is bootable and a different one where you can define the order of boot devices. Swapping the disk connectors may also work.

You get error 0x0000007B because your previous system was different or it's SATA controller was configured in IDE mode and the new one is in AHCI or RAID mode. Set it to IDE mode and it should boot if the hardware isn't too different, e.g., going from Intel to Intel.
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2013 6:28:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

In my experience in the past, I have not needed to reinstall Windows when changing my MB/CPU. The way Windows was redesigned, it SHOULD simply boot and detect all of the hardware and keep right on going. This is how the Windows installation program actually works; it takes a snapshot of a barebones system, essentially copies that image to your drive, and then it boots up and detects "new" hardware and sets itself up (this was started with Windows Vista and was refined with Windows 7 and 8).

I changed the HDD cables back to the original SATA cables I was using and it is detecting the drives and it tries to boot to the system drive just fine now; the only problem is that it is still giving me that pesky inaccessible boot device BSOD.

I am attempting a boot repair (again) to see where that gets me, but if someone has any insight as to why Windows isn't working the way it should, I'd be grateful. I'd REALLY like to not to have to reinstall Windows, but if that is what I have to do, that is what I have to do.

For reference, the motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-VLX and the CPU is an i7 3770K.

Thanks again!
m
l
January 25, 2013 6:29:32 PM

GhislainG said:
There should be a setting in the BIOS where you can select which of the 2 hard disk is bootable and a different one where you can define the order of boot devices. Swapping the disk connectors may also work.

You get error 0x0000007B because your previous system was different or it's SATA controller was configured in IDE mode and the new one is in AHCI or RAID mode. Set it to IDE mode and it should boot if the hardware isn't too different, e.g., going from Intel to Intel.

Thanks for the info about the BSOD. I will give that a shot! You're awesome.

And yes, I am going from Intel to Intel. :) 
m
l
January 25, 2013 6:44:16 PM

GhislainG said:

This was the problem, the SATA controller was in AHCI mode. Swapped it to IDE mode and it works just fine now.

Thank you very much!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2013 9:05:46 PM

What version of Windows? It may be possible to switch it to AHCI.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2013 11:21:41 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976#method2

You can fix it manually or use "Fix it for me" if you're you're not comfortable modifying the registry. Once fixed (enable AHCI drivers at boot), you can set the controller in AHCI mode and the system will no longer crash with error 0x0000007B..
m
l
!