Sign in with
Your question

Are extra case fans needed?

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2013 7:13:09 PM

i have a corsair 300R case with a 660 ti sc gpu with other decent gaming components. i was wondering if it would be needed to have a extra case fans. i have 2 at the moment one at the front witch is intake and one exhaust at the back.

More about : extra case fans needed

a b 4 Gaming
January 25, 2013 7:59:26 PM

r_Jay said:
i have a corsair 300R case with a 660 ti sc gpu with other decent gaming components. i was wondering if it would be needed to have a extra case fans. i have 2 at the moment one at the front witch is intake and one exhaust at the back.

I would not think so.

Modern parts are more efficient and do not require as much cooling as before.
I would only change things if you have a problem.

To satisfy yourself, open up the case, and direct a house fan at the innards.
Then see by how much your temperatures decline.
This represents the maxim potential for a case cooling upgrade effort.
My guess is that you will not see enough difference to warrant a change.

And... so what if parts become a bit warm? They are built to tolerate modest heat.

The price you pay for added fans will be higher noise.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 25, 2013 8:12:15 PM

r_Jay said:

The guide quoted is very helpful, follow it. You need to run some temperature monitoring software.

http://www.hwinfo.com/

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Check out the temps and let us know
January 25, 2013 8:30:22 PM

Depending on the size and CFM of the fans it can be done. A couple of quick tips:

Make sure cables aren't blocking airflow
Have both fans PULL are to the back of the case
Block any vents the don't let air flow all the way through (paper tends to work well)
Rearrange drives to allow free airflow (if possible)
Monitor temps (particular MB temperature)

If all else fails spend $30-$40 on cooling to keep your $600+ system happy and healthy
!