Sign in with
Your question

Will a GTX 570 run on this pc. HELP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2012 4:46:13 PM

Ok my friend is wanting to get a new graphics card, and he found a really good deal on a MSI GTX 570, i have said that i think it will work with his pc, i was wondering if anyone could confirm it, or deny what i have said
PC specs:
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
600watt psu
Windows 7 Home Premium

he couldn't find the Motherboard name, but he knows it is a PCI-E 2 slot, which the 570 would take advantage of, and his case is large enough.
can anyone help?
:bounce: 

More about : gtx 570 run

a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 4:51:06 PM

yeah it will work, the psu will do fine, i would heavely advise to add at least 2 more gb of ram but the card would do fine, if any problem maybe the cpu would cause a little bottleneck.
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 5:11:25 PM

If the PSU is a cheap junky one, there will be serious damage to the PC component, GTX 570 consumes around 220W at full load.

GTX 570 is not compatible with the system, it's gonna bottleneck it.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 5:24:04 PM

ilysaml said:
If the PSU is a cheap junky one, there will be serious damage to the PC component, GTX 570 consumes around 220W at full load.

yeah but even with that it should be a huge performance increase from what he has, i also ran a gtx460 with a 475w dell stock psu with no problems at all, and according to nvidia webpage 570 needs a 550w psu, and i have heard before that the minimum psu requirement its always overeacted by the companies also. i would guess it can work.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 5:32:59 PM

lostmyclan said:
srl yup the gtx will be a great improviment in your system. cpu maybe a little bootleneck but not to be afraid :) 
some games need a quad core, but its really fine. no worries

agree +1
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 5:56:04 PM

ilysaml said:

If the PSU is a bad one, he should replace it. Otherwise, a 600w PSU is more than enough. Nothing to do with the VGA though.

ilysaml said:

There is a very big difference between bottlenecking and incompatibility. It's is certainly compatible. It will be bottlenecked, which I'm quite sure the OP already new, and didn't ask for that very reason.
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:01:47 PM

Dnx said:
yeah but even with that it should be a huge performance increase from what he has, i also ran a gtx460 with a 475w dell stock psu with no problems at all, and according to nvidia webpage 570 needs a 550w psu, and i have heard before that the minimum psu requirement its always overeacted by the companies also. i would guess it can work.

It's like putting a "Honda Civic Salon" on a "FIAT Panda" car, it's not about output it's about quality. A 600W cheap Chinese PSU can't deliver half of the rated output correctly, I don't even think that his PSU have the PCIE rails.
December 10, 2012 7:12:31 PM

Site the Brand/Model of the PSU, the motherboard would be nice as well.

Without this info, we can only tell you the PSU is specified to be able to handle it.

A bottleneck does not equal incompatibility, unlike what "ilysaml" states. It is quite easy to put a weak CPU with a strong GPU. You'll just find the CPU will be at 100% but the GPU much less.
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:12:34 PM

Murissokah said:
If the PSU is a bad one, he should replace it. Otherwise, a 600w PSU is more than enough. Nothing to do with the VGA though.

What does this have to do with what I said?
The OP didn't state the make or the kind of PSU he has, and for sure...a general system that doesn't need more than 180W is equipped with a 600W PSU, what can you conclude with that but a cheap garbage PSU?
Murissokah said:
There is a very big difference between bottlenecking and incompatibility. It's is certainly compatible. It will be bottlenecked, which I'm quite sure the OP already new, and didn't ask for that very reason.

Technically yes, but actually I spoke theoretically not technically :lol:  and I wouldn't be that sure, maybe you didn't read the OP carefully; if the OP knew what he's into, he wouldn't have said this
Quote:
i have said that i think it will work with his PC, i was wondering if anyone could confirm it, or deny what i have said
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 7:47:14 PM

I agree with most comments, if I summarize:

- Should be compatible, but you need to check the PSU brand and model to make sure he doesn't have a crappy one. Never a good idea to plug a super nice video card in a no-name cheap power supply (even if it says it's 600-Watt it might not deliver that).

- More importantly you need to check if the PSU has at least 2 x 6-pin PCI-E power connectors which are required for the GTX 570.

- The CPU will bottleneck the card, but nothing too terrible there are still many games that use only 2 cores so it shouldn't be that bad.

- Definitely add more RAM, an extra 2 GB would do the trick.
!