GPU upgrade for WoW

Avenged7x

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU which is the weakest link in my current system. As WoW still favours nVidia I'd prefer to go that route. I think the GTX660 will be more than adequate for my needs, but I know the GTX670 is a much better card even the GTX660Ti has come down in price so much that is also seems to offer good bang for the buck. The 660s are going for around $190 now, 660Tis for around $250 and the 670s are around $320. I'm basically looking for the best value out those three, even though my current needs aren't that demanding I don't mind spending a bit more to get more and better balance my system.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month (probably boxing day sales)
BUDGET RANGE: $250 (somewhat flexible)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: The only gaming I currently do is WoW, might eventually get into some more demanding gaming. Otherwise basic browsing and video playback.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Gigabyte GTS 450 OC (1GB), XFX 750w Core Edition

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I5 3570k with Hyper 212 , Gigabyte UD3H Z77 mobo, 8 gb Ripjaws 1600mhz, CM Storm Enforcer case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: any reputable Canadian site.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: nVidia

OVERCLOCKING: Probably not
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 * 1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The Gigabyte GTS 450OC I have been using has served me well, and still offers me decent framerates (50-60) in WoW on Ultra, but I do get the occasional lag at times. I would like something with decent and quiet cooling (leaning towards ASUS or Gigabyte) but I also like the peace of mind of a good warranty.

Dnx

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
gtx 670 all the way, if you are going to spend anyway and you can afford it, its better to go with the one that will give you the best performance for when you want to play more demanding games.

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
You really don't need a 670 or a 660ti if you're only going to play WoW. The game is not very GPU intensive. It requires a powerful CPU, which you have covered. A 660 will work just fine for you and it will make your machine a bit more future- proof.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
It all depends on whether or not you have games other than wow in your future.

Wow will run fine on the 660, but if you think you'll be playing other games in the future, a 660ti would be a good idea (it probably wouldn't hurt to have a ti in raids either, as they can be more taxing).

The 670 is quite a ways out of your budget, I would only consider if you are likely to get into other PC games in the next few years and want to be able to run at high/max settings, it's a good value, but WoW doesn't need that kind of power.

Avenged7x

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Does anyone have any feedback on PNY cards? They seem to be budget oriented card with reference cooling. They do have a 3 year warranty though.

The PNY 660Ti is currently on for $220 (after rebate) whereas the PNY 670 is on for $300 (after rebate), both seem like a good deal to me. With the Ti being so close in price to the 660 I think spending the extra $30 for the Ti is a no-brainer.