Custom PC for high end 3D rendering

ahaque

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Hello,

I want to build a custom PC for 3D rendering (3d modeling, MOSTLY 3D texture/shading, and rendering). If anyone is familiar with the following software packages, you will know what I need!

Software:
Maya
Mari
Nuke
Mudbox/Zbrush

I was looking in to the new hex-core processors (i7s, no xeons, cant afford them). Was hoping to get as much ram as possible, minimun 24gb. And YES, I can guarantee you I will use every last KB when it comes to mudbox/zbrush/rendering. I have not been keeping up with the latest processors, mobos, gpus, etc. I am doing my own research, but wanted opinions from this trusted community! Also, I require an NVIDIA graphics card. My budget is around $3,000.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Is this going to be a strict 24/7 rendering computer? Otherwise it may be cheaper to build your own render farm like this one: http://helmer.sfe.se/

Granted this project is a couple of years old now but I am sure you can work it with the socket 1156 boards since those are found for cheap or AMD boards for sure.

ahaque

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Thanks for the reply. No, this will not be strictly for rendering. I require high specs because when working in a program like mudbox/zbrush and you move up in subdivisions (like 40million in some cases) I notice I can only do with with a unison of cpu, ram, and gpu. I will render, but not enough to need a render farm!

You will want to run two graphics cards. One can render and the other one will allow you to keep working (when rendering, one card is pretty much useless for GUI). I would run a Quadro 2000 and a Tesla 2075. The Tesla can run your renders. Yeah, its a lot of cash outlay, but you will make it back in productivity. If you need to go cheaper, you may want to change that Tesla into a Quadro 5000, that will be lower spec, but 500 bones cheaper.

ahaque

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Thanks! That is very helpful. I am not sure if my budget will allow for a quadro card or a tesla. Do you think two top level gaming cards would work? My friend has one EVGA 580gtx 1.5gb vram oc and he said things run pretty nicely for him. He also mentioned that he wanted to get one more to be able to run MARI better. I saw in a video of someone working on MARI and said that they use two 580gtx cards and it runs smoothly.What do you think? Do you think getting the six-core i7 is worth it? I was looking in to getting about 32gb of RAM. Also, do you have any recommendations on the mobo? I know I am asking a bunch of questions, but anything you can answer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for the response, greatly appreciated.