Sign in with
Your question

Computer shutting down suddenly

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2013 1:46:26 AM

Hi I was having a problem with my computer not turning on at all. I bought a new power supply and now it turns on fine, it just seems to turn off after being on for 5-20 minutes. I checked the CPU temperatures with real temp and another program seemed to be around 30-33 degrees celcius when idle, didn't get a chance to check under load but I don't think overheating is the problem. I also have an H60 hydro cooler for my CPU because I thought it was overheating. I think my old PSU got fried (it smelled burned) because of another component of my build. My video card died recently too and I think the problem has to be related. Is there anything that could be ruining my computer's parts or maybe it was the old PSU and it has already damaged a component I am not aware of? Should I stop trying to turn it on so as not to risk more damage?

EDIT: If I turn the computer back on after it shuts down on its own it will shut off during windows start up as opposed to running for like 20 minutes and shutting down then.

EDIT 2: it's not even making it that far now, hardly starts up before everything shuts off again (no splash).
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 2:33:09 AM

Your old PSU may have damaged your video card when it fried. Have you noticed that the computer shuts off whenever you start using the GPU, such as when running a game? If so, try running the PC with the GPU removed and see if it works.
m
l
January 26, 2013 2:36:34 AM

I don't think it is the GPU because the computer shuts down even when it I am not running any games or anything graphics intensive (like just surfing the internet). I tried running one RAM stick at a time, both times my computer still turned off after about 20 minutes.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 3:08:35 AM

Could be motherboard or CPU or PSU. Really there's not much way to tell unless you can try your components in other configurations.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 3:23:45 AM

if your mobo had onboard video/ integrated graphic...

try boot on without GPU first as JMer806 said... (event it not the problems, it will narrow the search)

if no onboard try using another pci-ex slot for the GPU.....

some basic thing is clear cmos, check the cables connection, run memtest, and check the temp and voltage in stressing test... (looks for sudden rise / drop of the value)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 3:29:32 AM

also blow the dust out of the pc and make sure all the fans are moving.not just slow but wil lchange speed when under load. pc will turn off to save themselves from an over heat. the last issue would be a bad cap on the mb.
m
l
January 26, 2013 3:36:16 AM

My motherboard doesn't have any integrated graphics but i will try switching the PCI slot. I have cleared all the dust from the computer, the fans are running--cool air coming from the CPU. Graphics fans are running but not very quickly, I will try to run a game and see. I disconnected and reconnected every single cable. I still have run memtest and the temperature/voltage stress. What does a bad cap on the MB mean?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 3:40:41 AM

capacitor it a device that stores a charge when the pc turns on to help level out spikes/voltage. they go bad over time with age. i would download msi afterburner and check that the gpu fan spins up to max speed.
m
l
January 26, 2013 5:15:31 PM

I downloaded the MSI program and my fans did seem to react properly, under full load the GPU reached about 60C and the computer never shut down. I also ran Prime95 to test the CPU it ran for about 30 minutes no problems, completed 18 tests (I paused it to try out MSI). I started surfing the web again, so my computer was essentially not under any real stress and it shut down while I was watching a youtube video--but like I said, running MSI for 10+ minutes didn't cause any shutdowns. I cleared cmos too by removing the battery and placing it back.. I think a problem with the motherboard might be a strong possibility, I guess the only way to find out is to get another one and test =/
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 6:41:07 PM

try booting off a hirem boot cd. run anti virus scan and hd tune check your hard drive smart info. prime95 if there was a cap issue on your mb would have cause it to reboot. to me right now sounds like there might be a virus on the system.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 2:01:01 PM

Is it still rebooting, after all those steps?

I'm agreed with smorizio, usually if there a hardware issue the stress test will fail...

m
l
January 28, 2013 10:22:14 AM

No, I haven't tried the last few steps yet, I have been moving all of my things back to school. I will post back later today, thanks.
m
l
February 9, 2013 12:19:27 AM

Sorry I took so long to come back and post. Turns out it was the motherboard that was the problem. I ended up getting a new one but I had to get a new CPU and some new RAM too because I had an LGA 775 board before (built this thing in 2008). Thanks for the help, everyone.
m
l
!