want to set up home network, having no luck

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I have xp pro on the tower, home on the laptop.
comcast cable, dlink router wifi access point, and have been sharing
internet for years.

Both systems have service patch 2 installed and all security updates, etc.
Tower using windows firewall and AVG antiviurs, and microsoft anti popup.
Laptop has norton stuff protecting it.

Everybody tells me it's so easy to set up networks these days, etc., so I
tried again. No luck. I ran the network wizard from the tower, put the
data on a flash drive, put that in the laptop, as instructed, but that's it.

When I go to start_control panal_network and internet connections_my network
places, either nothing happens or a popup window comes up telling me I'm not
autherized and go see my system admininstrator.

Any ideas on how I should proceed from here would be much appreciated.

TIA

alex

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

> places, either nothing happens or a popup window comes up telling me I'm
not
> autherized and go see my system admininstrator.
>
> Any ideas on how I should proceed from here would be much appreciated.

The answer could be quite simple. Peer to peer networks using windows XP
rely on "user level" shares. Although each machine on a peer to peer network
can be both a "server" and a "client" at the same time, let's look at it
from the perspective of sharing information on only one machine. The
computer that is sharing information will be the "server". The computer
accessing the information over the network will be the "client".

Let's assume for the moment that the server machine has only one
(non-administrative) user, and the user name is "Hal". Let's also assume
that the client machine has only one user, and the user name is "Marcia".
Since we're not dealing with a centralized, domain-based network, user level
shares require that the user named "Marcia" exists on both systems (since
we're assuming that the user named Marcia does want to access files from the
server). Since, in the example given, the computer acting as the server does
not have a local user named Marcia, one would have to be created by going to
the control panel (users and passwords). Even if Marcia never logs onto this
system locally, the user name must exist.

Conversely if Marcia decides to share a folder on the client system (making
it also a server), the user name "Hal" would have to be added to that
machine, so that Hal could log in through the network on his machine.

The behavior you described above indicates that you probably do not have
users sychronized on each machine. This is a very simplified explaination
and does not take into account the concepts of administrative shares and
guest shares, but I think it serves to illustrate a point. It also helps to
illustrate why large networks use a centralized server OS instead of a peer
to peer system.

"pengulin" <rr@spokanne.net> wrote in message
>> places, either nothing happens or a popup window comes up telling me I'm
> not
>> autherized and go see my system admininstrator.
>>
>> Any ideas on how I should proceed from here would be much appreciated.
>
> The answer could be quite simple. Peer to peer networks using windows XP
> rely on "user level" shares. Although each machine on a peer to peer
> network
> can be both a "server" and a "client" at the same time, let's look at it
> from the perspective of sharing information on only one machine. The
> computer that is sharing information will be the "server". The computer
> accessing the information over the network will be the "client".
>
> Let's assume for the moment that the server machine has only one
> (non-administrative) user, and the user name is "Hal". Let's also assume
> that the client machine has only one user, and the user name is "Marcia".
> Since we're not dealing with a centralized, domain-based network, user
> level
> shares require that the user named "Marcia" exists on both systems (since
> we're assuming that the user named Marcia does want to access files from
> the
> server). Since, in the example given, the computer acting as the server
> does
> not have a local user named Marcia, one would have to be created by going
> the control panel (users and passwords). Even if Marcia never logs onto
> this
> system locally, the user name must exist.

Ah ha!

> Conversely if Marcia decides to share a folder on the client system
> (making
> it also a server), the user name "Hal" would have to be added to that
> machine, so that Hal could log in through the network on his machine.
>
> The behavior you described above indicates that you probably do not have
> users sychronized on each machine. This is a very simplified explaination
> and does not take into account the concepts of administrative shares and
> guest shares, but I think it serves to illustrate a point. It also helps
> illustrate why large networks use a centralized server OS instead of a
> peer
> to peer system.

Thank your for taking the time to explain this to me. If I understand you
correctly, in a peer to peer XP home network, accounts with the same names
must be on both computers, that is 4 accounts in total using two names, and
then those accounts can talk to each other. Is that it? I think you've
given me enough for me to go plunge qusi-blindly once again into the thicket
of total home network frustration and failure. Thanks, I think.. ;)

My dead laptop came alive this week, too. We give thanks. So,: Hal's my
tower that's connected to my modem and router, Marcia is my new laptop, and
Spock is my old laptop. If I add a spock account to marcia and hal, and add
marcia and hal to spock, then can all 3 talk to each other?

Marcia and Hal are regular accounts, not administrative accounts, right?

hmmm..... if the tower had a hal account, and the laptop had a hal account,
then they couldn't talk to each other because they have the same name,
hmmm.... that's probably my situation. Thanks again.

Mike Hollywood wrote:
> I have xp pro on the tower, home on the laptop.
> comcast cable, dlink router wifi access point, and have been sharing
> internet for years.
>
> Both systems have service patch 2 installed and all security updates, etc.
> Tower using windows firewall and AVG antiviurs, and microsoft anti popup.
> Laptop has norton stuff protecting it.
>
> Everybody tells me it's so easy to set up networks these days, etc., so I
> tried again. No luck. I ran the network wizard from the tower, put the
> data on a flash drive, put that in the laptop, as instructed, but that's it.
>
> When I go to start_control panal_network and internet connections_my network
> places, either nothing happens or a popup window comes up telling me I'm not
> autherized and go see my system admininstrator.
>
> Any ideas on how I should proceed from here would be much appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> alex

Join the crowd Alex! This seems to be an epidemic lately. I had it
happen to me on my 3 pc's on my home network. Two of the three could
not access each other all of a sudden. I have a friend that has the
same setup as you XP on the desktop and home on the wirless laptop.
The laptop can access the desktop but not the other way. Internet works
fine on both. I am thinking one of the MS updates did this to many of
us recently.

Good Luck,

Brian

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I spent most of the morning om this, remember, I know nothing aobut any of
it expecpt for what I've read in the last few days, but I had some success.
Don't ask me how because there were so many permutations and combinations of
attempts I'm totally lost again, with one positive outcome. My old laptop,
hp xp home, and my tower, homebuilt xp pro, are now seeing and talking to
each other. I researched the file sharing aspect of things, set it up
accordingly, and now can browse from either machine the other and
maniupulate the files there. This has great promise as a solution for
serving up media files. I can invision a box with a big drive with all my
media on it wified to the rest of the network, etc., Anyway, the new
computer, compaq xphome, continues to not see anything or be seen by the
other two.

The business about having names the same on both didn't prove to be the
case, because on the old laptop there is only one account name, and that
name isn't on the tower, and they can talk to each other. I created
accounts with the same name on the new laptop and the tower, and they can't.
???

And yeah, i always update with service patches. Some of us never learn.
The odd ball thing is the new laptop is the only one running nortons
security suite so maybe that has something to do with it.

Computers! oi-vey...

Alex

"B Cloutier" <sportsdadmi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mike Hollywood wrote:se
>> I have xp pro on the tower, home on the laptop.
>> comcast cable, dlink router wifi access point, and have been sharing
>> internet for years.
>> Both systems have service patch 2 installed and all security updates,
>> etc. Tower using windows firewall and AVG antiviurs, and microsoft anti
>> popup. Laptop has norton stuff protecting it.
>>
>> Everybody tells me it's so easy to set up networks these days, etc., so I
>> tried again. No luck. I ran the network wizard from the tower, put the
>> data on a flash drive, put that in the laptop, as instructed, but that's
>> it.
>>
>> When I go to start_control panal_network and internet connections_my
>> network places, either nothing happens or a popup window comes up telling
>> me I'm not autherized and go see my system admininstrator.
>>
>> Any ideas on how I should proceed from here would be much appreciated.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> alex
> Join the crowd Alex! This seems to be an epidemic lately. I had it happen
> to me on my 3 pc's on my home network. Two of the three could not access
> each other all of a sudden. I have a friend that has the same setup as
> you XP on the desktop and home on the wirless laptop.
> The laptop can access the desktop but not the other way. Internet works
> fine on both. I am thinking one of the MS updates did this to many of us
> recently.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Brian

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I'm not sure if you tried this or not, but try speceifying the computer name
(not the user name) in the address line of any standard windows explorer
window.
similar to \\[computer name].
Sometimes windows doesn't refresh the network hostnames that actually exist
on the network very well. This will simply force Windows to look for it.