Sign in with
Your question

Can anyone please help me build a dedicated server for website?

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2013 3:04:26 AM

I am new to building a dedicated server for my website its purpose is just to host video and image files and to host my Cpanel for my forum and the site. THIS IS NOT FOR GAMING. I cannot afford to buy a real server like poweredge so I was told to build my own computer and use that as my dedicated server since I never build my own computer or made one dedicated for website only.

Here's my question please help.

How can I connect my domain name to my server?
How can I use my server to connect to the internet with port 80 being block by my ISP?
What ISP would let me have access to port 80 so I can start my own website without using a web-hosting company?
How can I make my server run 24/7 none stop?
How can I make a RAID HDD and do I need a RAID for a dedicated server? Note I need to be able to host video and image files and Cpanel for my web-site.
January 26, 2013 3:05:46 AM

This is my computer case APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower (NEWEGG)
m
l
January 26, 2013 12:10:57 PM

Aside from upgrading your internet service account to a small business account, you can't. Not without dealing with a lot of headaches and some you may not even be able to get around.

Quote:
How can I connect my domain name to my server?

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) run whole networks of systems called Domain Name Services or DNS servers. These servers host what amounts to extremely large text files which equate a URL (http://www.mywebsite.com) to an IP address (70.126.75.101). Every computer on an ISPs network is assigned an IP address. The average internet user does not know nor does not care what their IP address is as there is no internet traffic going to their system. Since there is no dedicated traffic running to your system, your IP address can often change. If your IP address changes, then any link on a DNS server is broken and no one is able to access your site.

One remedy is DynDNS.org. This is a small program installed onto your server. It polls your current IP address assigned by your ISP and updates it's DNS server addresses with your current IP address. This allows web traffic to constantly find you, even if your IP address changes.

Quote:
How can I use my server to connect to the internet with port 80 being block by my ISP?

You can use whatever port you want to serve web traffic. It just needs to be set up in your firewall to allow it. Additionally, anyone accessing your site would need to add the port number to the end of the URL in order to direct their browser to expect an response over that port. Commonly, if port 80 is blocked, users will often go with port 8080. You would need to open port 8080 on your firewall to allow http traffic. Anyone accessing your site would need to enter the url with the port 8080 suffix (http://www.mywebsite.com:8080/). Any links pointing to any other pages on your site would also need to be appended with the :8080 port number.

Of course, a small business account with your ISP would likely include the opening of port 80.

Quote:
What ISP would let me have access to port 80 so I can start my own website without using a web-hosting company?

Unless you're using a dial-up ISP, you're pretty much limited to whatever ISP services your area (cable or DSL). You also need to take into consideration your Internet upload speed is provided by your ISP. Your Internet service provides two different speeds. Your download speed and your upload speed. In every instance I've come across, the upload speed is drastically slower than the download speed. In my case, my internet subscription provides a 25Mb/s download, but only a 1Mb/s upload. If I were running a web server like yours, anyone accessing my content would only be able to download it as fast as I could upload it. A tiny, 1MB video file on my web server would likely take several minutes to download on your computer, because my upload speed it so slow.

Quote:
How can I make my server run 24/7 none stop?

If you manage to resolve all of the above issues, then running your server 24/7 should not be an issue. Just leave your computer on and your web site is always available. Computers can do this. The computer I'm writing this response on has been online for weeks. If it weren't for required reboots when Windows updates, it'd have been online for years.

Quote:
How can I make a RAID HDD and do I need a RAID for a dedicated server? Note I need to be able to host video and image files and Cpanel for my web-site.

You do not need a RAID array for a dedicated server. You would only create a RAID array if you need to make sure your data is available at all times.

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent/Inexpensive Disks. There are numerous RAID levels. The most common are:

RAID0 - Striping - This means data is written across multiple physical hard drives as a single logical drive. Two physical 2TB drives in a RAID0 array becomes one 4TB logical drive. The down side to this is should either drive fail, all data is lost.

RAID1 - Mirroring - This means data is multiple times across multiple physical hard drives. Data is mirrored from one hard drive to the next. The upside is if a hard drive fails, the data is still available and the RAID array can be recovered by replacing the failed drive. The downside is two physical 2TB drives in a RAID1 array becomes one 2TB logical drive.

RAID5 - Striping with Parity - This is essentially the same as RAID0, but with a recovery process. Data is written across multiple hard drives, but an additional drive is required for a parity bit. If one of the data drives fails, the remaining drive(s) plus the parity drive can recover the lost data on the failed drive. If the parity drive fails, the data drives can recreate the parity drive.

As for your build (and again, this assumes all the above issues with your ISP have been resolved, otherwise, the build is pointless), this includes your selected components; resolving some compatibility issues and adding missing components.

Case: APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower - $29.99
Power Supply: Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W - $29.99 (quality, but low powered power supply)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2 AM3+ - $49.99
CPU: AMD Sempron 145 Sargas 2.8GHz - $38.99
RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 - $29.99 (RAM compatible with your motherboard)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM - $59.99 (of course, if you're going with a RAID array, you'll want drives of the same size that will give you the size array you want).
Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVD Burner - $16.99 (Required for loading the OS).
Graphics Card: XFX HD-657X-ZDF2 Radeon HD 6570 - $54.99 (Not really necessary as the motherboard's on-board graphics are suitable for your needs).
Operating System: Windows 8 Professional 64-bit - $139.99 (I haven't looked into it, but I expect only the professional version includes web services.)

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 26, 2014 10:54:53 AM

you can get a dedicated server here http://www.xnynz.com/hosting/dedicated-servers.aspx?ci=... .I have been very very impressed with them.It is cheap, but it is really
professional.,you can go with them on a monthly basis .I host all my sites there and they are friendly and can assist
you with whatever you need.
m
l
!