Sign in with
Your question

HTPC: what to salvage from previous build?

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2013 3:25:51 AM

Hi all. I'm planning on putting together an HTPC and I'm trying to figure out the best configuration and also if it's worth salvaging any hardware from my current build. I put my last PC together about 3.5 years ago now and I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to PC's. i.e. for my last built I spent a month or so reading up on PC components and the latest technologies but I haven't paid any attention since.

Basically for my new build I want to be able to store and watch Bluerays, DVDs, series, music and photos. I also want to be able to add a TV tuner to record TV, but I would probably add this in the future. Finally, I will use this PC for basic tasks like word processing and internet. I do not play games at all.

The current build I have is becoming somewhat slow to boot up and even things like opening up word etc can lag a bit. What I'm not sure about though is whether my current processor is decent enough for my next build and perhaps upgrading RAM and getting a solid state HDD would be sufficient to move forward, or if it's worth going for a whole new build.

I will definitely need to get a Blueray burner and I'll need some high capacity HDD's for storage of content. I have a case which is relatively quiet which I'm happy to hang onto.

I'm thinking of getting a low capacity solid state for installing windows8 and other programs. What are peoples thoughts on this?

I'm not really sure about budget yet. I think I need to see what people think so I can get a gauge of a ballpark price. It doesn't have to be the most amazing build possible, as long as it can do the above with no real problems then I'll be happy. I'll be hooking it up to a recent 42" samsung LED screen and simultaneously with 1 (or 2?) 24" monitors.

One last question I have is in the case that a completely new build is the best option, any suggestions for processors and/or MBs? I've read that the latest intel i5 chips have a built in graphics processor and HD sound processing which would be sufficient to do what I what?

Current build:
MB: Asus P5N7A-VM
CPU: Intel Q9400 2.66Ghz Core 2 Quad
RAM: Kingston 4GB (2x2Gb) DDR2 800
HDD: WD SATA 500Gb HDD
PSU: Antec EA EarthWatts 500Watt

Thanks for your help!!
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2013 4:10:14 AM

I think you can add an SSD to your build , install win7 oem 64 bit as well as extra storage drives and a bluray player and do everything you need .
A Radeon 6450 graphics card will give you the graphics you need and HDMI . I have a silent fanless model from sapphire and it works well

Its cheaper to use Win7 because media center is bundled with it . If you use 8 you have to buy media center as an extra

The only advantage of building from scratch would be lower power consumption

You could even fit your components into an HTPC case like the Silverstone GD 05
Or the GD 06 for more storage space
!