Sign in with
Your question

Faulty GTX 680 or somthing else?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2012 8:45:19 PM

Hi,

Bought a new GTX 680 last week and since installing it I have been experiencing random black screen crashes. Screen goes black and pc re-boots, super slowly. does all the post checks on mobo digi display at ultra slow speed, then reaches "FF" which means successful boot on a gigabyte board. - Still no video signal. have to hard reset.

First time was on my second bench test in 3dmarks vantage, just after installing the card. Then it did not do it for 3 days. Sunday it crashed 4 times in a row when just simply opening small jpeg files.

Critical error listed in Windows event manager is: Source: Kernel Power, Event ID: 41, Task Category: 63

Power supply is a new Corsair HX750 which worked for 2-3 weeks powering my GTX 480 under heavy load. No issues.

I cannot get this error to repeat when I try to. I have run multiple bench marks and cannot get it to error.

Any suggestions as to what this could be would be appreciated.
December 10, 2012 8:49:49 PM

I'm fairly confident in thinking its a faulty GPU. Might wanna RMA soon, might even get free shipping :/ 
December 10, 2012 8:57:55 PM

This is What I thought, but any ideas on how the company would test for this. Do you have a specific reason for thinking this... anything you know will help my case if I get in a fight with the retailer.

I bought it from Lambdatek in the UK and they have told me to return it, but were hugely rude and unhelpful about it. They say it could take 5 working days just for them to get round to testing it, and they may have to send it back to gigabyte. this would mean not getting it back before xmas...

They also said that if they cannot prove the fault I will be charged a service fee and have it returned to me. Based on the totally intermittent nature of the fault I am really S**ting it that they will say this and just send me back a dud card after 3-4 weeks.
Related resources
December 10, 2012 9:44:15 PM

Personally I would rather send it back to the manufacturer directly instead of going through the seller. Unless the seller is the UK version of Newegg then most times its just more hassle than its worth to send them a partially working product if they test.

Those retail stores mostly only test if a machine boots with it in the system and thats basically it. (if they test at all) (At least that was what my experience was with them in the US)

What are your temps? Is there any artifacting going on before these incidents occur?

December 10, 2012 9:53:48 PM

mouse24 said:
Personally I would rather send it back to the manufacturer directly instead of going through the seller. Unless the seller is the UK version of Newegg then most times its just more hassle than its worth to send them a partially working product if they test.

Those retail stores mostly only test if a machine boots with it in the system and thats basically it. (if they test at all) (At least that was what my experience was with them in the US)

What are your temps? Is there any artifacting going on before these incidents occur?

Thanks for the reply. Nothing unusual. runs the bench amrks fine. This card is otherwise awesome. runs at 25 degrees idle compared to 45-50 on the gtx 480. after running 3d mark 11 performance run (from free version) temps never exceed 50 degrees when monitored with GPU-Z...

the only clue I have is that kernel power report from the windows log, and to be honest I am not sure what it means, doing some research now.

I figured exactly what you said about the retailer. I do not see how they can properly test it. I have tried to talk to them by phone and email, but all I get is one liners about sending it back for testing and filling out an online RMA form. They will not communicate with me at all on a personal basis. I pretty much assumed that all they would do is plug it in and See if it runs, maybe a bench mark test at the most. what else can they do? they are not a card manufacture so they are hardly qualified to pull the thing to pieces... and that is kind of what worries me, they wont tell me how they will test it.

I already filled out an tech support request with gigabyte direct, and also sent them an email on another contact address. I really hope to hear form them tomorrow.
December 10, 2012 9:55:18 PM

are you video drivers up to date?
December 10, 2012 9:59:49 PM

jcurry23 said:
are you video drivers up to date?

yep. latest whql from nvidia website direct.
December 10, 2012 10:12:40 PM

have you tried turning gpu Phase Mode in the bios from auto (default) to off?

There could be problems regulating power from the motherboard with the new gpu. Well that's what i believe kernel power error 41 means.

Hope it helps.
December 11, 2012 6:26:15 AM

boju said:
have you tried turning gpu Phase Mode in the bios from auto (default) to off?

There could be problems regulating power from the motherboard with the new gpu. Well that's what i believe kernel power error 41 means.

Hope it helps.

Can I ask what this would do? I have not altered anything in the bios since installing the card...

I found the following info which both sounds interesting...

one suggests that it is a power issue related to the socket in the house. Now there could be an element of truth here because we have been having intermittent problems with the power here, but I am unsure as it did not happen: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/46250-63-random-resta...

the other suggests that it is a conflicting audio driver issue, which seemed unlikely until I looked into my deceive manager and found I had two drivers listed exactly as this guy is saying... : http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-kern...
December 11, 2012 10:29:58 AM

G.P.U stands for Green Power Utility. It's supposed to manage power to the CPU so that it's not wasting electricity when the extra power isn't needed. Turning this off solves the kernel 41 error.

If you have that option in the bios, try turning it off.
December 11, 2012 10:42:19 AM

I cannot find that option... I have Gigabyte board, which is the Award Bios.

Any clue as to where it is located, I did look under everysetting and googled it and cannot find the answer
December 11, 2012 12:17:37 PM

boju said:
http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/39/tech_080516_des_ad...

It might be called des in the bios. There should be an option for phase controlling somewhere.

What motherboard model do you have?

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (rev 1.0)

I am not at home right now so cannot check the bios for anther 5hours or so.
December 11, 2012 1:27:38 PM

further investigating, seems gigabyte's des is software based by the looks of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPqdbjAjzw

Reading on it, enabling C1E and CPU EIST in the bios is required to run des and perform it's power managing function.

Could try disabling those two and test for a bit or uninstalling des it if it was ever installed, seems to cause more problems then it solves be reading some of the comments from people around the net.

If its not a power issue then it could be sound chip related conflict with duplicated sound drivers. See if there are multiple sets of the same sound drivers in device manager left behind from the 480. Uninstalling all sound drivers and beginning again may help.
December 11, 2012 2:01:26 PM

boju said:
further investigating, seems gigabyte's des is software based by the looks of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPqdbjAjzw

Reading on it, enabling C1E and CPU EIST in the bios is required to run des and perform it's power managing function.

Could try disabling those two and test for a bit or uninstalling des it if it was ever installed, seems to cause more problems then it solves be reading some of the comments from people around the net.

If its not a power issue then it could be sound chip related conflict with duplicated sound drivers. See if there are multiple sets of the same sound drivers in device manager left behind from the 480. Uninstalling all sound drivers and beginning again may help.

Thanks for spending the time on this, really apreciate it!

The des software has not been insatlled (never heard of it) - this is a relatively fresh install of windows in a new SSD.

I do oddly have two high definition audio drivers listed in device manager... this board has on board Realtek sound. Device manger lists the two drivers as loction (0) nd locatio (2), both s onboard. One is listed as just "High Definiton Audio" anf the other as Realtek High Dfeinition Audio.

I never install Nvidia audio drivers, but I am now thinking that maybe I did not un-check for the nvidia high def aduio the box when installing the gtx 680 drivers... I have no other idea where theycould have come from.

When I get home I will unintall all drivers and see if the entry goes...

EDIT** I uninstalled the Realtek Audio drivers and still two entries remain under device manger

1. Location 0 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus)
2. Location 2 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus)

Reinstalling the Realtek driver only overwrites entry two.

I also found the following log in the windows reliability monitor:

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20121205-2353.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA800A127010
BCP2: FFFFF8800F1A7A88
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

December 11, 2012 9:51:02 PM

Running out of ideas to try avoid you rma'ing and risking the chance it happening again if its something else, but at this point its leaning towards a gpu fault.

Only other thing i could suggest which you may have done already is seeing if the computer remains stable when reinserting back your 480 if you still have it and make sure nothing was bumped during the replacement with the 680.

If all is well then try uninstall the gpu drivers using driver sweeper, reboot then afterwards shutdown. Install the 680 on a clean slate to iron out any in depth driver conflicts.

And lastly have windows set for performance power and same with in nvidia control panel power management mode.

I'm leaning towards a faulty card myself at this point.

December 11, 2012 9:54:31 PM

your audio looks fine, ive read people having half a dozen of the same drivers listed and was causing kernel errors.
December 11, 2012 10:02:04 PM

Well it just did it again... aaaaah... first time since Sunday. This time all I did was open a dxdiag and it crashed.

Tonight I uninstalled the video drivers and reinstalled from fresh and it obviously made no odds.

I have not yet tried the 480 reinstall because I am waiting for gigabyte to come back to me and I am assuming they will ask me to run some test with the 680 installed. however it is the only way to be sure it is not the rest of the computer... so it may have to be done. Pain in the behind though as it has taken two days for it to randomly happen again, last time it was three.

Thanks for your other suggestions, sound advice that I shall probably follow.

I did speak to the retailer again today, and they basically said that if i send it to them they will stick it in a pc and run a continuous bench on it for a solid day to try and get it to fault. If it does not then I will be charged £15.00 GBP + shipping to have the card returned to me as is. If I wish they could also send it to Gigabyte, but that will cost me an additional £10.00 + shipping both ways.

Gigabyte tech support have still not picked up my ticket after 26 hours... there RMA email team replied to me in 4 hours, but they say they are not meant for public use, I am meant to go through my retailer. They only offer a testing and repair service and not a replacement or refund...

December 11, 2012 10:22:55 PM

it could end up that route and i do hope they find something wrong with it.

Have you tried the 2nd pci slot?
December 12, 2012 8:14:45 AM

boju said:
it could end up that route and i do hope they find something wrong with it.

Have you tried the 2nd pci slot?

I have not no...

what did happen last night is it did it twice again, same error. Interestingly, after it crashed when trying to run a dxdiag I rananother and it said that last time it crashed hen trying to access direct 3d... now I do not think it is a directx error... but maybe? orit could just be that thae fact it was trying to sent a signal to the card tocheck the hardware and th faulted...

I have bought a paid license for 3dmark11 (always used the free basic versions in the past) and am going to leave it on a 10x loop tonight wth GPU-Z running in the background... hoping that it willl do it and I can then record soem data from the time it crahes. I am also going to start leaving GPU-Z running a constant log int he bckground whnever the pc is on. that way I should get some data when it dies again.

Once that is done (should take an hour or two) and provided that it crashed at least once, I will put the 480 back in and do the same to see if I can get it to fault again.
December 12, 2012 10:08:23 AM

nice plan, yell out when you're done
December 17, 2012 6:13:45 PM

boju said:

Kept doing it mate..

So I bought and built a new PC... :whistle:  i was planning on upgrading everything anyway soon, so i thought WTF, at least i will know i is not the rest of the hardware.

Only parts tht remain the same are the Samsung SSD, which is now a Games drive; I bought second new one to be the system drive, and the PSU, which was new 3-4 weeks ago anyway.

So the story goes that I spent all weekend building this thing and then put in the new card, installed the drivers and on the second run of 3dMk11 - boom - does it again, same error.

So I run a few more tests and get it to error several more times, and it started artefacting as well.

Put in my GTX 480, and system ran fine.

STILL the retailer will not believe me... they have insisted that it go back to Gigabyte directly for testing.

I shipped it today. Will update with news...

Oh, what I will say is that so far Gigabyte have been really good. the only positive thing the retailer has done was give me the direct number for gigabyte UK. I got through to the same guy who picked up my online support ticket and we have spoken several times. He has offered more help and advice than the people I bought it from and he does not even have to, as i do not think this number is usually used by the public.
December 17, 2012 6:31:05 PM

Yeahhh, do us all a favor and never buy from that retailer again. Even if you have to pay a customs fee. They don't seem all that nice. Usually gigabyte is good about customer service. Hence why people buy their stuff and not a no name brand like CrystalMeth - Power Supplies and co.

hah, well anywho I wish you the best of luck!
December 17, 2012 6:58:46 PM

mouse24 said:
Yeahhh, do us all a favor and never buy from that retailer again. Even if you have to pay a customs fee. They don't seem all that nice. Usually gigabyte is good about customer service. Hence why people buy their stuff and not a no name brand like CrystalMeth - Power Supplies and co.

hah, well anywho I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks mate...

The retailers name is Lambdatek. They operate in Europe only I think, so no worry for you. I bought from them rahter than my usual supplier as they stocked the 4Gb version of the card. Not many places did, and they seemed to have a great ruputation for customer service. However after spending 60 mins on hold to get through this morning just to talk to them, and listening to the repeated message over and over, telling me how great their customer service is, I was ready to punch someone :pt1cable: 

December 19, 2012 5:27:18 PM

boju said:

As another update, Gigabyte UK have deemed the card not faulty. :pfff: 

They claim to have put it through over 18 hours of stress testing on both the EX58-UD5 and the G1 Sniper 3 boards and cannot replicate the fault.

I will commend their turn around time of just 48 hours, but i am now mighty annoyed and starting to get a bit desperate. I mean c'mon.. I built a whole new system and the damn thing still faults.. and yet they cannot replicate so say it is not faulty.

The ONLY thing that is in the new build that was in the old one is the PSU, and that may make you think, ahah... there's your culprit.. but then explain how my GTX480 works absolutely perfectly with this rig and the old one. That PSU is only 4 weeks old, so not exactly old. 5 hours solid of 3dmk11 and the 480 does not fault, 3 hours of prime 95 torture test and the rig does not crash.

I am at a loss as to what to do here. I am faced with being left with a £450.00 paper weight, and I have not even owned it for 2 weeks.

My current PSU is a Corsair HX 770 Gold - so pretty good. I see no reason why this could not power 1x GTX680, unless it is faulty.

My only option is to buy a new PSU, a bigger one. And therefore see if it that or not. It is the final remaining common factor between my two rigs, and it would leave nothing else. Problem is it will cost £175-200 for a decent 1000W PSU. And it may turn out not to be that.....

December 19, 2012 6:06:53 PM

A 680 would run just fine on a 500w PSU. Have you tried the 480 in Furmark for a few hours? Furmark is a proper stress test, not a benchmark. Oh and P95 only tests the CPU.

I don't really know what to tell you other then asking gigabyte to replace it anyways since it doesn't seem to work for your config. I would explain that since they don't seem to find any fault with it then it should be no problem to re-sell that one and send you a different one.
December 19, 2012 6:32:08 PM

mouse24 said:
A 680 would run just fine on a 500w PSU. Have you tried the 480 in Furmark for a few hours? Furmark is a proper stress test, not a benchmark. Oh and P95 only tests the CPU.

I don't really know what to tell you other then asking gigabyte to replace it anyways since it doesn't seem to work for your config. I would explain that since they don't seem to find any fault with it then it should be no problem to re-sell that one and send you a different one.

I sincerely agree, but, I have been told that they HAVE to prove a fault to authorize a replacement, which HAS to come from gigabyte HQ in Asia if I go direct through GB rather than retailer.

The Retailer say they either HAVE to find a fault themselves or have it verified by Gigabyte. If they cannot prove it I will be charged a service fee and have the card returned

I have decided to do two things.

1. After starting a thread about the PSU, a couple of peeps here on Tom's have suggested it is more likely a bad PSU. Given that Gigabyte cannot replicate the fault I am starting to think that too. So i am going to buy a new PSU. Either an AX 860i or AX 1200 -same price, the 860i is platinum grade, but AX 1200 gold has 100 amp rail, which would come in handy if I want another 680 in a year to boost this pc.
2. if fault persists after this I will use my credit card company to issue a charge back against the retailer. I am speaking to them tomorrow to get details on starting the procedure.

a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 6:37:45 PM

Looks like there has been far to many people that have been having unsolvable issues with these cards lately. Good luck.
December 19, 2012 6:44:46 PM

nforce4max said:
Looks like there has been far to many people that have been having unsolvable issues with these cards lately. Good luck.

Are you refering to this exact brand and model, or 600 series in genral? If you can point me to other poeple having issues it can only help to back up my case, most importantly if I have to get legal through redit card company.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 6:54:26 PM

You could try taking photo's or video's of the crash that way you will have something to take to trading standards or court if need be.
December 19, 2012 7:24:50 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You could try taking photo's or video's of the crash that way you will have something to take to trading standards or court if need be.

This is what gigabyte asked for, but the nature of the crash, (an instant re-start and loss of video) and the fact that it is hugely intermittent makes this hard to do. Last time it ran on 3dmk11 for 2 hours beofre crashing. A screen shot would not prove much.

Could I use fraps? i wonder if it would save if the PC died during recording.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 7:28:53 PM

Video cam? On phone if need be.
December 19, 2012 7:41:19 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Video cam? On phone if need be.

no video cam. problem with using phone is that video takes up alot of memory. it could be running for 2 hours+ and may not fit on phone sd card. But yes this would be the best solution, as i could then boot back up while filming and show them the error report live.

EDIT** Just ordered a new Corsair AX850W Gold £154.68 with shipping tomorrow. (company ships up to 11pm) 680 is due back tomorrow too so will update tomorrow night or morning after wheter the issue appears to be fxed or not.

December 19, 2012 8:04:07 PM

Good luck man so many unnecessary hassles :( 

its not like the 750hx isn't a shitty psu and also not like the 480gtx isn't anymore power efficient.

Hopefully in hindsight it was the psu and soon will fix all your problems,
December 20, 2012 7:03:26 PM

boju said:
Good luck man so many unnecessary hassles :( 

its not like the 750hx isn't a shitty psu and also not like the 480gtx isn't anymore power efficient.

Hopefully in hindsight it was the psu and soon will fix all your problems,

OK, so the card came back today. I thought that befroe i opened the new (selaed) PSU and am unabl to return it I would just test the machine again.

first i put it through Fur mark 1920x1280 benmark on the 480. This put the 480 up to a whopping 93 degrees!, I then ran a pass of 3dmark 11 with no issue.

Put the 680 back in and ran same furmark test with success, but max temp was only 67.

Then ran 3dmark11 and and on the first pass, 4th graphic test, it crashed again. I am now running a loop on 3d mark 11, but it is not crashing... could take a while, but I do have it on video.

I am torn as to whether to open the £154.00 power supply. I do i am stuck with it and will end up with two PSU's... if I do not then I suppose I will never know. I am leaning toward opening it and leaving it on a loop run.

December 20, 2012 10:15:00 PM

The 680 was crashing by simply opening jpeg files, is that still happening?

As its crashing more in 3dmark11 than furmark are you using the latest version of 3dmark11 1.0.3? http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?15...

Do you have another spare hdd you could try reinstalling windows on? Iron out both operating system and hdd itself if possible, might not be a hdd fault but just in case the 680 is somehow making any faults more prevalent, software or hardware glitches.

Could try legacy drivers also, could be something nvidia have done. Would be good to know if gigabyte did use the same drivers as you or they know something you/we don't.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy

Lastly would be no choice but to try the new psu imo.

December 20, 2012 10:25:32 PM

if by chance the new psu did the trick. It might be an idea not to throw out the older psu as it might not be it's fault by fluke design incompatibility.

Seeing as many people are having unsolved issues with the 680, it just as well might be the card and how it interacts with the psu. Like how the motherboard communicates with the psu, sending a signal to keep power on after a successful start up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Good_Signal

It's a wild guess but gota wonder if its even remotely possible the 680 isn't receiving the correct operating wattage and amperage at any random given time. Hopefully whatever it is, problem is not present with the new psu.
December 20, 2012 11:11:49 PM

boju said:
The 680 was crashing by simply opening jpeg files, is that still happening?

As its crashing more in 3dmark11 than furmark are you using the latest version of 3dmark11 1.0.3? http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?15...

Do you have another spare hdd you could try reinstalling windows on? Iron out both operating system and hdd itself if possible, might not be a hdd fault but just in case the 680 is somehow making any faults more prevalent, software or hardware glitches.

Could try legacy drivers also, could be something nvidia have done. Would be good to know if gigabyte did use the same drivers as you or they know something you/we don't.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy

Lastly would be no choice but to try the new psu imo.

boju said:
if by chance the new psu did the trick. It might be an idea not to throw out the older psu as it might not be it's fault by fluke design incompatibility.

Seeing as many people are having unsolved issues with the 680, it just as well might be the card and how it interacts with the psu. Like how the motherboard communicates with the psu, sending a signal to keep power on after a successful start up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Good_Signal

It's a wild guess but gota wonder if its even remotely possible the 680 isn't receiving the correct operating wattage and amperage at any random given time. Hopefully whatever it is, problem is not present with the new psu.

OK, so thanks for the replies mate.

1. I contiued the testing and got it to crash again of 3dmark, but after an hour of looping tests. (on old PSU) - I am using the layest version, and it crashed on it on both this pc and the old one, so i m sure it it not a direct softwae issu like a corrupt instal
2. I cannot say if it would crash on furmark, but I only did 2 x15 min benches, and it may well have done if i left it fr longer.
3. As I have not really "used" my pc since building the new one I have not expereinced the crashes outside of bench tests, as that is all i have been doing.
4. No hdd, just SSD. OS was installed on a new 256gb SSD on old machne, and when building the new one I bought a second 128mb SSD and used that for the OS instead. So it has falted on two SSd's and two fesh, seperat instals of Windows.
5. annoyingly GB did not se the same drivers as me. I was using the whql from October 306.97. they chose to use the new 310.70 drivers that came out the day I sent it to them.
6. I did wonder about it being some random isse like you say, although I have little knowledge of such things. It couldexplain why one card works and another does not.
7. I was not aware of that many people having issues. Could yo pnt me in the direction of any other thread? - if things do go bad then any spport in terms of others having issues would be helpful.
8. New PSU is in and working. going to leave it running overnight and see wht happens.
December 21, 2012 6:50:00 AM

Not directly to your problem as you or i would have found search results to your unique problem already, but just saying the 600 series of the searches i've done with the issues i've read tends to be more about the troubleshooting questions rather than solving answers. Searching of phrases like 'gtx680 directx 11 crashing'.

Most responses either point towards either faulty cards or faulty/insufficient psu/power and suggesting the 2 6pin connectors are connected properly.

Rest of those responses are just repeats orientating motherboard/cpu and ram which your gtx480 had no trouble with and then there's software, os and drivers.

December 21, 2012 7:43:02 AM

your audio looks fine.
December 21, 2012 7:48:40 AM

boju said:
Not directly to your problem as you or i would have found search results to your unique problem already, but just saying the 600 series of the searches i've done with the issues i've read tends to be more about the troubleshooting questions rather than solving answers. Searching of phrases like 'gtx680 directx 11 crashing'.

Most responses either point towards either faulty cards or faulty/insufficient psu/power and suggesting the 2 6pin connectors are connected properly.

Rest of those responses are just repeats orientating motherboard/cpu and ram which your gtx480 had no trouble with and then there's software, os and drivers.

good morning...

Thanks for the info above. So, got up this morning and it was still running, so I take that as a good sign. That is the longest it has run for wth that card in without crashing.

I will not say the issue is solved yet... but I am hopeful. Let's see what happens over the next few days. fingers crossed I might be able to play some games this weekend... I will run benchmarks again tonight and see.

December 21, 2012 7:51:15 AM

sakalu said:
your audio looks fine.

Thanks for the input.
December 21, 2012 8:14:18 AM

dandare said:
good morning...

Thanks for the info above. So, got up this morning and it was still running, so I take that as a good sign. That is the longest it has run for wth that card in without crashing.

I will not say the issue is solved yet... but I am hopeful. Let's see what happens over the next few days. fingers crossed I might be able to play some games this weekend... I will run benchmarks again tonight and see.

This is good news! Glad to see now there is a change in events and hope it stays this way.

Very curious to know what actually happened since the corsair 750hx is a popular psu, guess we'll never know exactly :\

December 21, 2012 11:17:14 AM

boju said:
This is good news! Glad to see now there is a change in events and hope it stays this way.

Very curious to know what actually happened since the corsair 750hx is a popular psu, guess we'll never know exactly :\

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5030842004996501&pid=15.1&H=160&W=160

Thanks boju.. picture cheered me up. :D 

I am of two minds what to do with the PSU. Considering what you say above, and the fact it works with one card and not the other, it could simply be one big weird ass incompatability issue.. gremlins :) 

I could RMA it, only to be told it is not actualy faulty and have to pay shipping both ways, adding to the expense. This card cost me £429.00 inc shipping. + £15.00 to send it to GB for testing + £154.68 for the new PSU. For that money I could hav had two GTX 670's (almost) so a little depressing really

Or I could sell it on ebay, but I may feel a bit bad as I cannot be sure it is woking 100%

Or I could just bin it and move on.

Mind you, I may find that over the weekend the problem comes back!
December 21, 2012 12:14:03 PM

Hmmm, I would wait on doing anything until we know for sure its solved but uh, I would probably sell it on ebay. Honestly I have no clue what the issue could be, if its fixed with the new power supply good. If not then well... we just go cry in a corner and blame wizards.
December 26, 2012 5:15:41 PM

mouse24 said:
Hmmm, I would wait on doing anything until we know for sure its solved but uh, I would probably sell it on ebay. Honestly I have no clue what the issue could be, if its fixed with the new power supply good. If not then well... we just go cry in a corner and blame wizards.

Well I have been sat in a corner hating the wizards...

After 4 days of no erros it came back on Xmas eve... like a perfectly timed smack in the face to spoil christmas. :pfff: 

I have now tried everything. Nothing left to test, it is the sole remaining component tht were shared by the two computers and the falt persists. i have tried different drivers, different sockets and surge protectors and nothing works.

Looks like I will now have a new year fight on my hands to get refunded. Sour news considering I shelled out on that new PSU.
December 26, 2012 8:18:20 PM

bummer what a slap in the face, meh.

So, the problem still lingers. Its a weird suggestion but could it be the connectors, possible faulty power cable leading to the card or the connection plugs on the card itself. I would assume you would have used the new cables that came with the new psu, and even then the 480gtx had no problem so there could be a slight power short with one of 680's 2x 6pin ports.

Either Gigabyte got miserably lucky and failed to find or they lied and didn't test at all.

December 26, 2012 9:21:50 PM

boju said:
bummer what a slap in the face, meh.

So, the problem still lingers. Its a weird suggestion but could it be the connectors, possible faulty power cable leading to the card or the connection plugs on the card itself. I would assume you would have used the new cables that came with the new psu, and even then the 480gtx had no problem so there could be a slight power short with one of 680's 2x 6pin ports.

Either Gigabyte got miserably lucky and failed to find or they lied and didn't test at all.

Indeed.

I had also though of the power connectors. One of the ealrier things I tried was swapping the cables over even on the old PSU; and yes, I did use all new cables with the new PSU too.

I think GB did test... I Can't imagine they would lie, I mean if they did find a fault then for a massive international compnay like them, what is replacing one card? They did send me test results, and it shows the card running after 15 hours solid. however it ran on my system after putting in the new PSU for 8 hours solid, and then did not fault for 4 days, then 7 times in one day, under no particular load. rest of the erroor (Kernel Power 41) remains the same no matter what.

I wrote a long emil to the retailer today, asking again, that given the circumstance they refund me. If they refuse then I shall be persuing a claim with my credit card provider and ensuring that I smear their name on every forum I can find +post bad reviews wherever I can. I would then have to persue GBT directly for a replacement.

Will kepp you posted with what happens.

I know it is not a software issue as it happens at different times doing different tasks. Weirdly one bug code that is displayed only occaisionally after the crash, in windows reliability monitor; tells me that it was a blue screen BC code 117, which is a failed driver code. However it does not do this every time, and has done it with both 306 and 310 drivers.

EDIT*** The retailer replied to me, and have agreed to collect the card and return it to their HQ. Dowside is they still insist on testing the card to prove a fault. I have politley argued that I have done more than enough to prove it already, but they have ceased responding to my emails.
January 12, 2013 12:51:33 PM

OK, so, the retailer have had the card back for two weeks, and guess what? they cannot find a fault... they are refusing to refund me because they say they would be unable to get their money back if they did.

They even cheekily offered to sell the card second hand on their site and give me the money for it! another reason to steer clear of Lambdatek Ltd, as they seem prepared to sell faulty goods as used on their site.

I am open to suggestions as to what the fault could be! I mean both Gigabyte and the retailer say that they have tested the card and it does not fault, yet when it is in my two separate machines, one a 1366 socket with i7 920, and the other a 1155 i5 3570k it produces an identical fault on a regular basis.

I have tried different wall sockets, different surge protectors, two brand new PSU's, new leads, multiple installs of the OS and different drivers and it always faults for me - yet they both say the card is fine....
January 13, 2013 4:55:36 AM

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what to tell you. If its indeed faulty and it apparently is yet the retailer and manufacturer are refusing to take it back... I just don't know what to say. Other than physically taking it apart and seeing if you can find a fault that way (unlikely and just DON"T do it as doing this WILL void any warrantees you have)

I'll keep thinking on it but this is pretty much the limit of my expertise. Pursuing this any further would likely require legal advice sadly.

You could try going into GPU-Z and using that to report temperatures for your vram/mosfet/etc while running a stress test to see if anything is overheating.
!