Sign in with
Your question

Good build to keep up with the latest games?

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2013 3:40:00 AM

Here is what I am looking at putting together to run mainly Battlefield on 3 monitors.

Case: Aerocool X-Predator Devil Red Edition

CPU: I5 3570k or I7 3770K not sure which one? Help me choose?

Cooling: Noctua NH-D14

Graphics: Dual Gigabyte Radeon 7970 Ghz Editions in Crossfire.

HDD and SDD: Seagate Barracuda 2GB 7200 RPM and SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB. Maybe even two 2GB Barracudas in RAID 1? Maybe in future would try raid 10 but I highly doubt it. Probably just go to SSDs.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz Low Profile DDR3

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive

PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium. Or maybe Windows 8? What are your thoughts on this?

What does everyone think? Everything compatible? Does the PSU support Crossfire?

Note: I am in AUSTRALIA.

Cheers,
Tom :pt1cable: 
January 26, 2013 3:53:47 AM

For gaming the i5-3570k, that psu supports crossfire and holds out well two 7970 ghz editions.
January 26, 2013 4:02:36 AM

and Win 8 64 bit

performance is the same , the license is much better than 7 oem

and you can add a start button if you cant handle the learning curve

Related resources
January 26, 2013 4:31:32 AM

djangoringo said:
For gaming the i5-3570k, that psu supports crossfire and holds out well two 7970 ghz editions.

You say the i5 3570k. Why is that? I am also looking to over clock if that is any help.

Also you mention that it can handle two 7970 ghz quite well? How do you know this? What connectors do they use?
Cheers, Tom.
January 26, 2013 4:43:34 AM

Outlander_04 said:
and Win 8 64 bit

performance is the same , the license is much better than 7 oem

and you can add a start button if you cant handle the learning curve

Surely Windows 8 isn't as good for gaming? At least that is what I heard...
Tom.
January 26, 2013 4:50:59 AM

I also have another question, how can I connect it to three monitors? I am looking at this cheap monitor as it looks half decent http://www.aocmonitorap.com/root/anz/product_display.ph...
but it only has a display port, would I just connect it through a mini display port to display port cord? would I use a hdmi on the other two?
Tom.
January 26, 2013 4:53:35 AM

I personally can't recommend windows 8.
The i5-3570k can be overclocked, it's an unlocked cpu, because for gaming there's no difference in performance vs i7, both are quad cores, the hyper threading of the i7 doesn't get used in gaming(there could be some exceptions).
Because that psu has quality components, and has 850 watts, a single rail +12V with 72A, meaning it got the amps for two 7970.
It also got 4 pcie pin connectors for two 7970.
January 26, 2013 5:12:55 AM

Teacake96 said:
I also have another question, how can I connect it to three monitors? I am looking at this cheap monitor as it looks half decent http://www.aocmonitorap.com/root/anz/product_display.ph...
but it only has a display port, would I just connect it through a mini display port to display port cord? would I use a hdmi on the other two?
Tom.

The third monitor must be connected by Displayport, or an adapter. If you're getting matching monitors is just use all display port but it doesn't matter. HDMI/DVI is fine for the other 2.
January 26, 2013 5:35:58 AM

djangoringo said:
I personally can't recommend windows 8.
The i5-3570k can be overclocked, it's an unlocked cpu, because for gaming there's no difference in performance vs i7, both are quad cores, the hyper threading of the i7 doesn't get used in gaming(there could be some exceptions).
Because that psu has quality components, and has 850 watts, a single rail +12V with 72A, meaning it got the amps for two 7970.
It also got 4 pcie pin connectors for two 7970.

I can't say I am keen on windows 8. However I may in future get a dual boot going with windows 8 to try it out :)  Games I would play would be BF3, Crysis 3 (which looks like it is going to be quite intensive...), GTA 5 and a few others but they are the main ones.
I should have looked at the number of PCIE connections I guess. DUH!
I7 or I5?
Cheers,
Tom.
January 26, 2013 5:46:06 AM

unksol said:
The third monitor must be connected by Displayport, or an adapter. If you're getting matching monitors is just use all display port but it doesn't matter. HDMI/DVI is fine for the other 2.

Why does it have to be through Display Port? The monitors in the link only have DP and not mDP. Where as the 7970s only have mDP and not DP. Would I just use a mDP to DP cable? Do I need a certain kind? Again the monitors are DVI-D and DVI-I. Just use a converting cable? Do I need a special one? I heard the best connection for monitors is DVI? True or false? And one last thing. Would I connect the monitors onto the one card or onto both? If so, what goes where? And can I plug them into the motherboard if I needed more ports?

Sorry for so many questions...
Help is highly appreciated/
Regards,
Tom.

January 26, 2013 9:37:53 AM

Not to worry I have sorted my monitor questions out after about 5 hours research... Turns out I might just change my graphics card to an ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCU II TOP 3GB. My only question is, the core clock on the Gigabyte Ghz 7970 is 100 Mhz faster, is that a noteable difference? Also would two of these cards fit on the Z77 Extreme4 as I noticed they look fairly chunky...
Regards,
Tom.
January 26, 2013 2:15:55 PM

The asus is a triple slot card, so not, if you want two cards, get the gigabyte.
Like it was said it, the other two monitors can be either DVI/HDMI.
For the one you have connect through displayport, the gigabyte 7970 ghz edition has two mini dp, just buy an adapter to dp.
January 26, 2013 9:08:21 PM

djangoringo said:
The asus is a triple slot card, so not, if you want two cards, get the gigabyte.
Like it was said it, the other two monitors can be either DVI/HDMI.
For the one you have connect through displayport, the gigabyte 7970 ghz edition has two mini dp, just buy an adapter to dp.

And I am able to do that because the regular DP and mDP talk in the same language I guess? The only difference is the physical connection? Correct? I read that the Asus was a triple slot card in a review but I was unsure of the meaning. Thank you for all your help.
Regards,
Tom.
January 26, 2013 9:27:26 PM

Personally I can recommend Windows 8

Ive been using it for a couple of months now , and it games just as well as 7 .
There are better management tools and added features .
There is also a learning curve , but if you wish you can add a start menu to the desk top

But most importantly the home user license means you can transfer it to another computer , and a win 7 oem license means if you build again you will be buying another copy of windows
January 27, 2013 12:07:00 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Personally I can recommend Windows 8

Ive been using it for a couple of months now , and it games just as well as 7 .
There are better management tools and added features .
There is also a learning curve , but if you wish you can add a start menu to the desk top

But most importantly the home user license means you can transfer it to another computer , and a win 7 oem license means if you build again you will be buying another copy of windows

Yeah like I said earlier in a message I am still going to go with Windows 7 until Windows 8's bugs are found and patched. When that happens though, and Windows 7 becomes a thing of the past I may get a dual boot going with 7 and 8... See how things turn out anyway. Thank you for sharing your experience with me though, it seems that most people who have used it seem to like it :) 

Regards,
Tom. :pt1cable: 
!