Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

EVGA 560 Ti 448 core FTW power draw for SLI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 10, 2012 9:07:15 PM

My question is simple. I have looked at the spec sheet from EVGA and I honestly doubt this card uses 550W and 38A per card. Looking at Nvidia's spec sheet for this card (just 560 ti 448 core) it shows it actually draws 210W of power which is 17.5A at 12V which would be 35A on the 12V rail for two cards. However, this is an overclocked card and I can't say I perfectly trust that the spec sheet from Nvidia applies in every way to this card. But I honestly can't be convinced that an SLI setup would draw 76 amps, considering how the only power supplies that have that much on the 12V rail cost more than the card itself.

EVGA Spec Sheet: http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/012-P3-2066.pdf
Nvidia Spec Sheet: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

I do know for certain that I will have to upgrade my power supply from the 750W one that I have now. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd appreciate it, I just need one that will be quiet, has a 24 pin mobo connector, 8 pin EPS, and 4 6-pin PCI-E connectors. Pretty colorful lights are optional but I'd want blue if it is only one color.
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 9:16:54 PM

drhead said:
My question is simple. I have looked at the spec sheet from EVGA and I honestly doubt this card uses 550W and 38A per card. Looking at Nvidia's spec sheet for this card (just 560 ti 448 core) it shows it actually draws 210W of power which is 17.5A at 12V which would be 35A on the 12V rail for two cards. However, this is an overclocked card and I can't say I perfectly trust that the spec sheet from Nvidia applies in every way to this card. But I honestly can't be convinced that an SLI setup would draw 76 amps, considering how the only power supplies that have that much on the 12V rail cost more than the card itself.

EVGA Spec Sheet: http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/012-P3-2066.pdf
Nvidia Spec Sheet: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

I do know for certain that I will have to upgrade my power supply from the 750W one that I have now. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd appreciate it, I just need one that will be quiet, has a 24 pin mobo connector, 8 pin EPS, and 4 6-pin PCI-E connectors. Pretty colorful lights are optional but I'd want blue if it is only one color.

Reccomendation is for the entire system
Don't know which 750w you have, but a good one shouldn't need to be replaced, what are the rest of your specs ?
m
0
l
December 10, 2012 10:39:25 PM

The voltages on the power supply are +3.3V@25A, +5V@22A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@17A, +12V3@17A, +12V4@17A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A. Here's a link to it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
My CPU is an i5-2500k at factory clock speed. I have two hard drives and I plan to add a SSD very soon, which I doubt would put much of a dent in my power usage. Four sticks of ram. Plenty of USB devices but only two that draw much power. There isn't much else to draw a significant amount of power from the system, other than all the big-ass LED fans. Though now that you point out that the power recommendations being for the whole system (would it really kill them to put per-card power usage numbers?) I do think that it would probably be sufficient for an SLI setup. I calculated about 525 W for two cards and my CPU, but I will wait for you to confirm that this will work before I order my card.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 11:02:39 PM

A good 750 watt power supply wouldn't need to be replaced, what you have is not even close to being considered good
Seasonic, Antec or Corsair would be
m
0
l
December 10, 2012 11:09:21 PM

drhead said:
The voltages on the power supply are +3.3V@25A, +5V@22A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@17A, +12V3@17A, +12V4@17A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A. Here's a link to it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
My CPU is an i5-2500k at factory clock speed. I have two hard drives and I plan to add a SSD very soon, which I doubt would put much of a dent in my power usage. Four sticks of ram. Plenty of USB devices but only two that draw much power. There isn't much else to draw a significant amount of power from the system, other than all the big-ass LED fans. Though now that you point out that the power recommendations being for the whole system (would it really kill them to put per-card power usage numbers?) I do think that it would probably be sufficient for an SLI setup. I calculated about 525 W for two cards and my CPU, but I will wait for you to confirm that this will work before I order my card.


I nearly lost my tea, all over the screen, oh my god Apevia, replace the PSU! Immediately!
m
0
l
December 10, 2012 11:16:05 PM

I have the same VGA card I don't think it draws that much power. It runs great a SLI set-up should be really fun. I think the power supply you listed should work with out any issue. I've not heard of that brand of power supply before. I don't think anything you mentioned will draw a lot juice. Let us know how it goes.
m
0
l
December 10, 2012 11:23:59 PM

littleleo said:
I have the same VGA card I don't think it draws that much power. It runs great a SLI set-up should be really fun. I think the power supply you listed should work with out any issue. I've not heard of that brand of power supply before. I don't think anything you mentioned will draw a lot juice. Let us know how it goes.

Apevia is a no no brand, never go Apevia, low quality internals, will fry your computer if brought a little before its claimed max.
m
0
l
December 11, 2012 2:27:21 AM

Meh, get what I use, NEX750G, Fully modular, Manufactured by one of the best.
m
0
l
!