Possible Throttling of GPU when CPU is under load

Brizz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hello everyone :) I have an issue at the moment with my setup. I just purchased a new GPU. To be exact, a EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition. I am aware that this card is quite nice compared to many cards on the market today. My problem thus far, is when gaming (I have tried everything from DayZ to Crysis) my GPU utilization will PLUMMIT. In some cases down to 20%. I am somewhat of a geek and enjoy troubleshooting problems. So I monitored the usage. First, I played Crysis in a window. With a GPU and CPU meter open for visual reference. When my CPU is not being utilized fully (40-60%) my GPU is at maximum 60%. This was tested in Crysis and DayZ. DayZ was a little different. I could reach full utilization of the GPU, but only when I wasn't in an area that was taxing on the CPU. Essentially, it is like a teeter totter where the CPU is always the fat one... I contacted EVGA and the first thing they mentioned was my PSU. I used CPU-Z to monitor the voltage to the GPU & CPU alike, yet nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Next was my RAM. I tested that, all was in order. I have uninstalled all graphics drivers from my old card and performed a clean install of the new. Checked all software settings in the nvidia control panel, set it for high performance. Set my power consumption to high performance in control panel. Got into my BIOS and disabled AMD Cool & Quiet. Yet still the case is the same. It is very frustrating, knowing that I should cut through games like a hot knife through butter yet I am stuck at the same fps as my old card had to offer. Anyone have any ideas???? pc specs below

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Editon @3.21 GHz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H Mobo
XFX PRO650W Core Edition 80+ Bronze ATX 650 Energy Star Certified Power Supply
7200 RPM 300 GB HD (from best buy, kind of temporary. getting ssd soon)
I think that is all you need, if more is needed plz let me know what it is. This is the first time I have really posted on a forum. I have looked to tomshardware for many of my needs since I was young. Just never needed help so badly. I am clueless

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Sadly, you are seeing your cpu bottleneck. You won't get to 100% cpu usage since crysis only uses two cores for it's engine. Crysis 2 will use all 4 cores. This is why you are seeing 40-60% cpu usage as that's about half. You can overclock your 955 and you should gain noticeable performance, but I'm not sure if you can overcome the bottleneck.

Brizz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Sadly, I have done some more testing. I played GTA IV and I never saw my CPU usage go over 70% on max settings. Yet the card was stuck below 70% the entire time. If the cpu is indeed the problem, what kind of beast would I need? I have a pretty reasonable income so I am fine with forking out 150-300 dollars. I really just want a processor that will let me fully utilize my gpu. So nothing too over the top. Any reccomendations???
I would like to get cooling system too for the processor.

THANK YOU!

EDIT: Would this cpu be compatible with the mobo???
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

My gut says no but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. They are both AM3+ compatible but newegg said 900 series on :mad: I really want this one.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hmm...crysis I can understand but you shouldn't be throttled on gta iv. While that is a cpu intensive game it's also easily handled by your cpu. Did you struggle on gta iv or at max settings life was fine?

I suppose I should get more numbers from you :p What was your old card and do you happen to know your % usage and fps that you used to get? Also not maxing out your gpu isn't a bad thing...it just means that it's not bottlenecking your system. If you were playing crysis and your cpu was at 30% and your gpu was at 100% then yes you need a new graphics card if you wanted to improve your performance.

Oh, your board won't support that cpu :(

Brizz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I am planning on buying a new board for the processor specifically. I just don't get what the problem is. My cpu is not being fully utilized either. I have the most up to date drivers. I have checked the BIOS and amd cool and quiet is disabled. My old gpu was a HIS Iceq Turbo X 6950 2 GB. It would run well just never where I needed it to. I was hoping to change that with the 670. Maybe I was having the same problem with the 6950 :/ As I recall, it would only utilize 80% too. :/ testing time

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Is there a problem with your games? Are you only getting 20fps or is it more of you are getting 60fps but you see dips to like 10fps and then back up?

I'd just overclock your cpu to 4.0Ghz and see what happens (assuming you have an aftermarket cooler!)

Brizz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

LOL no aftermarket cooler. I kept it at 3.5 bc it was safe. The lower framerates are constant. I know that 40 fps is not bad, but when only 70% of my cpu is used and even less of my gpu, i get sad. I have this beautiful 120hz monitor and I was going to use it for 3d gaming. i cant do that if only half of my card is used :/ even with the oc cpu i saw next to nothing increase in framerate averages (about 2). i have tried many games with it. all the same, underutilized and about 20-45ish frames. i need to test it in my buds desktop. he has an i7 and 1666 mhz ram with a nice mobo and a standard hard drive like mine, so if there is a change, i would bet its a issue with either my mobo, or software conflicts. i plan on reinstalling windows soon. i just gotta download all of the drivers and what not so im not going through the hassle of getting them online.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
What a pain. I remember doing a similar thing as you when I upgraded from my 9800 to a gtx 260 thinking I would see huge changes in performance but didn't see much :( It's disheartening spending a couple hundred dollars and not reaping the benefits. So after a few years I just build a new computer :p My issue was cpu based. My e8400 just couldn't pull it's weight in cpu intensive parts. My 2500k on the other hand rocks hehe.

If you don't have an aftermarket cooler, is your system getting too hot? What are you gpu and cpu temps while gaming?

Brizz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
My cpu temps stay at 62c and my gpu, when I set the fan manually stays at the same. My room is pretty cold so that helps some. I just did a fresh install of windows. I have forgotten how long it takes to do that :/

Brizz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
So I have been playing bf3 with my framerate showing via msi afterburner and I have an awesome fps. Anywhere from 35-75. The variance, I believe, is due to my cpu. I will be replacing both the mobo and the processor (I already have someone wanting to buy my RAM, CPU, Mobo, old gpu). I am going to get the i5 3570k with 8gb of g skill 2400 mhz ram. A SSD will come soon after. I will keep this updated for anybody who may be going through the same issues as I am.

Brizz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Payday this friday. :) will update you wednesday or thursday next week :)

Mar 20, 2013
I'm necroing this question and I am aware of it.
I have the same problem like he does, and I have:
MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 8320 3.5GHz
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston Hyper X 2 (Dual Channel)
Graphic Card: ASUS R9 270X DCU II TOP (couple of days old)
PSU: CoolerMaster G600 (couple of days old)
HDD: WD Black 1TB

I have tried reinstalling windows, using older drivers, updating bios (both motherboards and graphic cards)...