Feedback/Advice Please - Building First Computer

lilspudd

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hello!

I have just spec'd out parts for the computer I plan on building. I've used computers for a long time, but this will be my first time building one so I was hoping I could get some feedback/advice for the parts listed below. It will be my family's primary home computer and we will be using it for everything - web browsing, email, word processing, photo and video editing, watching movies, web chat, and maybe the occasional game playing (used to love playing games). I also work from home sometimes so will be doing some database programming on it. Pretty much everything.

So here is my list of parts. I know I am getting a CPU without overclocking capabilities but getting a MoBo capable of overclocking. My thought here is to get a board that gives me the flexibility to upgrade if I want to get a new chip to overclock. Also, once I get it up and running with the parts listed, I plan on getting a video card and an additional hard drive (non SSD) to store files.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3470
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Optical Drive: LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650-M 650W ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Case: Rosewill LINE GLOW ATX Mid Tower Computer Case,Dual USB 3.0,come with Four Fans,Support up to 7 Fans

In pricing out the parts on NewEgg, everything came out to about $813.94. Sound good? Also, do I need a separate CPU cooler?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting some feedback.

just make sure the RAM is 1.5 volts or less and you are good to go

The 650 watt psu is probably overkill unless you are spending $350+ on a graphics card . A 500 watt unit is going to power a current generation graphics card that games really well

lilspudd

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply! Just checked and the RAM is 1.5 volts. So guess I am good there.

NewEgg has a bundle right now for the case, power supply, and Mobo I listed for $278.97 + some rebates. That's why I went with that case and power supply. I was thinking of getting a high-end video card, so good to hear this setup would work for that.

Thanks again.

lilspudd

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
So I got all my parts and now I am ready to build! Just wanted to see if you had any pointers for me before getting started. Anything I should do in a particular order? The only thing I really haven't done before is install a CPU to the motherboard. Anything tricky with that? Thanks again for all the help!

edtheguy

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2012
I just watched some videos of "How to build a PC" before my first build. Newegg has a three part series that isn't bad, there are some other good ones too.

Its also a good idea to actually read the mobo manual, of all the parts that's the one you'll most likely refer too later.