New System Build... Need Opinions

G

Hello,

So I just built my first system and I was wondering if there were any bottlenecking going on... System Specs:

Win7 64 Bit
AMD FX-4170 Quad-Core (4.2 GHz)
12.0 GB DDR3 Memory
Mobo- Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-970A-UD3
AMD Radeon HD 6770 GPU (Sapphire/PCPartner)
1 TB Hard Drive

I have an idea maybe but not entirely sure if there is any bottlenecking with the hardware. I was hoping to be able to run World of Warcraft at 60 FPS or so at ultra settings. Yet I am only running 30FPS but when I move around it drops a bit below 30 FPS and hiccups a bit.

Also not sure if this is anything, but my CPU temp seems to jump sporadically. Right now I am idle at 13 C (With firefox running and WoW in background). But it seems to jump from 13, to 2, to 13 again, then when running WoW, to about 29 or so. Just keeps going up and down at such fast intervals. Never seen it like that before so was wondering if that is ok!?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

pankakes123

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Nope nothing is being bottlenecked. In fact your GPU compliments your CPU perfectly. 12 gigs of memory is overkill though.

Also the temperature jumping is probably just a software issue. How are you monitoring your temps? As long as the CPU is running cool you should be fine though, and from the looks of it at 29 C while gaming your CPU is running super cool.

G

Really? Then how come I can't run WoW at max settings without getting 30 fps? All drivers are up to date.

Anyway, yeah the 12 gigs of memory is a lot, but one stick came from my prebuilt PC and I had two other sticks from another system. I must ask, why overkill though?

I am using Speccy to monitor temperatures. I used it before and prefer it to anything else. But yeah I just never saw the CPU temp jump up and down so much like that before. I am getting good temps though, so just wanted to be sure those sudden jumps are ok. Nothing high (Never saw it go past 35 or so yet).

G

Yeah I guess not. Thinking of doing a crossfire. What would be a good 2nd card that would work well with my system and setup for crossfire??

G

Ah ok. If you don't mind, can you recommend a good GPU? Something that will let me run WoW and other games on max settings.

G

Thanks, could you possibly provide a link as well? Out of stock on Newegg it says.

pankakes123

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Because you have a 6770. It is well balanced with your CPU but that does not mean it is high end. It does mean that nothing is being bottlenecked and your build should also run very stable at great temps though.

Also 12gb of RAM is overkill simply because most games only use 4gb of RAM, maybe a couple will utilize all 8gb but anything over 8 gigs of RAM is pointless unless you are doing dual monitors.

Here's one for cheap
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

G

Thanks for the links. Reason I thought there was a bottleneck most people reviewed my current GPU with saying they ran most games at max settings, some being WoW, CoD, Battlefield, etc.

I know my system is not high end, but I thought these specs would run at least WoW at 60FPS. So sometime in the future I will upgrade my GPU. Hopefully with that I can run some games at higher frame rates.