Sign in with
Your question

AMD driver NIGHTMARE!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2012 10:12:51 PM

I have a Sapphire 6850 now on the 12.10 catalyst drivers but I am really thinking of ditching it for an Nvidia. I have updated the drivers twice since I got the card in April and both times it has been hell. The first time I downloaded the drivers, installed them and there was no change, my computer still said I was on the 12.3 drivers. Eventually I had to do a complete reinstall to get it to work. Two days ago I stupidly tried to update to the 12.10 drivers and at first I thought it went well, It installed no problem but when I got back into windows after reboot my USB drivers (including for my mouse) had been deleted! (and no i did NOT delete them when I ran driversweeper) So i tried restoring to before I installed the driver through windows and all my save images had been deleted too! So pissed off I had to again reinstall windows just to get the newest AMD drivers to work. On my Nvidia laptop I have never has to deal with crap like this, what am I doing wrong?

More about : amd driver nightmare

a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 10:17:15 PM

Yes, AMD Radeon have terrible drivers, I had 1 AMD graphics card and am never going back, My NvIdia is working great and has had no driver problems, with my old AMD Radeon I couldn't say the same
m
l
December 10, 2012 10:24:49 PM

I had the same problem with nvidia cards. There's a reason why Tom's Hardware GPU recommendations are dominated by AMD Radeon GPUs. I think the driver issues are more a problem between keyboard and chair.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
December 10, 2012 10:45:17 PM

Common case of Pebkac.

Never had any of your issues with AMD drivers. I have installed different AMD drivers literally thousands of times, on new and used PC's
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2012 10:47:44 PM

nvidia or amd, their drivers do not uninstall other system devices by them selves.

If you have an amd motherboard/cpu then using driver sweeper could have scanned and listed your usb devices as amd based drivers without realizing.

Just use AMD's own update procedures in CCC. Much easier and no hassles.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 2:25:20 AM

i've owned the following ati/amd cards: 8500, 9800 pro, x700, 6850 crossfire, and i have never had a driver issue. Sounds like a user issue, AMD's drivers dont delete other drivers. Are you downloading from AMD''s website and not a dodgy link? is your computer riddled with viruses? the fact that it worked after a clean install suggests a corrupt windows install or virus/malware.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 2:34:16 AM

AMD drivers were a real beast back during the 10.X days. But they have come a long way since then.
m
l
December 11, 2012 2:55:41 AM

Michael31 said:
Yes, AMD Radeon have terrible drivers, I had 1 AMD graphics card and am never going back, My NvIdia is working great and has had no driver problems, with my old AMD Radeon I couldn't say the same

I hear that AMD drivers are predominantly written by racists, I'm with you buddy.
m
l
!