Solved

First rig

Approximate purchase date: This upcoming week.

Budget range: $600-$700.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing internet, watching movies.

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Motherboard, RAM, GPU, Case, PSU

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com and tigerdirect.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

OC: No.

SLI/Crossfire: No.

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Additional comments: I would like to run BF3 smoothly on high settings, and upcoming games. Current build costs $607.93, so I can still possibly add an SSD or a better GPU.

Why are you upgrading? Because my current PC lags in most new games.

Ok this is the build I'm going for atm. This is my first PC so I'd appreciate the help.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory) ($48.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Keeping my current one. Might buy an SDD, though.
Video Card: HIS IceQ Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower Computer Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Keeping my current one.
Total: $621.73

Thoughts about it?

Thanks.
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first
  1. Obliteration said:
    Approximate purchase date: This upcoming week.

Budget range: $600-$700.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing internet, watching movies.

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Motherboard, RAM, GPU, Case, PSU

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com and tigerdirect.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

OC: No.

SLI/Crossfire: No.

Resolution:

Additional comments: I would like to run BF3 smoothly on high settings, and upcoming games. Current build costs $607.93, so I can still possibly add an SSD or a better GPU.

Why are you upgrading? Because my current PC lags in most new games.

Ok this is the build I'm going for atm. This is my first PC so I'd appreciate the help.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory) ($42.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Keeping my current one. Might buy an SDD, though.
    Video Card: HIS IceQ Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB ($219.99 @ NewEgg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower Computer Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Keeping my current one.
    Total: $607.93

Thoughts about it?

Thanks.

That's not a great motherboard, really. I always recommend the ASRock Extreme4 or the ASRock Extreme4-m (the smaler version) They are cheap for a motehrboard (a bit more than the one you chose) but very reliable and functional. Great boards. The CPU can also be upgraded to the i5 3570K for a tiny bit more money. It'll perform better and can be overclocked in the future.

That case is nice. Not what I would pick, but perfectly usable. For a few dollars more (or the same cost) you can get a Cooler Master Storm Enforcer, which I think is easily the best budget case on the market. It's fantastic for the price. But your is fine.

That GPU is nice. It will run plenty on medium-high settings. But for a little bit more money you can get a 7950, which overclocks well and performs great. That would be my choice if you plan to do more than a little gaming.

I would personally get a larger PSU, maybe 600watt. 500watt is much too close for my liking. Corsair is a great brand -- some of their PSUs are made by Seasonic and they do great work.

Hope it helps!
  2. MatildaPersson said:
    That's not a great motherboard, really. I always recommend the ASRock Extreme4 or the ASRock Extreme4-m (the smaler version) They are cheap for a motehrboard (a bit more than the one you chose) but very reliable and functional. Great boards. The CPU can also be upgraded to the i5 3570K for a tiny bit more money. It'll perform better and can be overclocked in the future.

That case is nice. Not what I would pick, but perfectly usable. For a few dollars more (or the same cost) you can get a Cooler Master Storm Enforcer, which I think is easily the best budget case on the market. It's fantastic for the price. But your is fine.

That GPU is nice. It will run plenty on medium-high settings. But for a little bit more money you can get a 7950, which overclocks well and performs great. That would be my choice if you plan to do more than a little gaming.

I would personally get a larger PSU, maybe 600watt. 500watt is much too close for my liking. Corsair is a great brand -- some of their PSUs are made by Seasonic and they do great work.

Hope it helps!
    Can you recommend another motherboard? I have no use for z77 chipset, unless I'm going to overclock, which I'm not going to. So It's kinda pointless going for that. So I'd appreciate if you could post another motherboard. I thought about the 3570K, but I'm not going to overclock anyways. So I just went for the 3470.

Yeah, I'm either going for the HD 7950 or the GTX 660 Ti.

And yeah, I might go for the CX 600 then. Not sure yet, since 500 watt is enough for my parts atm.
  3. Obliteration said:
    Can you recommend another motherboard? I have no use for z77 chipset, unless I'm going to overclock, which I'm not going to. So It's kinda pointless going for that. So I'd appreciate if you could post another motherboard. I thought about the 3570K, but I'm not going to overclock anyways. So I just went for the 3470.

Yeah, I'm either going for the HD 7950 or the GTX 660 Ti.

And yeah, I might go for the CX 600 then. Not sure yet, since 500 watt is enough for my parts atm.

If you know you're never going to overclock, the 3570 is the better choice.

I'm not really sure about motherboards below that price point (anything under the z77 level) as I've stayed well away from them. They all seem to take too much compromise for the cost -- hell, a ton use 5.1 sound. Sorry I can't help you there :/

I prefer Nvidia cards for their drivers and stability, personally. The 7950 will outperform the 600 Ti in, say, 7/10 games, but I find Radeon cards often deliver a less smooth performance. I'd go with the 660 Ti personally.

From a 500 to a 600watt is very little cost-wise and well worth it, imo. The closer to max output a PSU gets, the louder, hotter and less efficient it is, especially on lower end units. But your call!
  4. I don't agree with the other poster. What you have chosen makes a great budget build. No reason to spend more on a more expensive mobo or CPU.
  5. FinneousPJ said:
    I don't agree with the other poster. What you have chosen makes a great budget build. No reason to spend more on a more expensive mobo or CPU.

Yeah, I agree with you on the CPU and the mobo. But should I upgrade the CX500 to a CX 600? And upgrade the 7870 possibly?

CX600: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092ML0OC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
  6. I've clearly stated in my first post the parts I needed, so no idea why you added CPU Cooler, Storage(unless it's an SSD), and Optical Drive. I also said my budget is $600-$700. Also added my location, so some websites I can't make use of, like Microcenter.
  7. Honestly, running at that resolution you won't notice a difference between video cards. Those cards would provide good framerates at 1920x1080, let alone 1024x768. I'm sure you will eventually upgrade to a nicer monitor, but by then you might be due for a new vid. card anyways.

Depending on when exactly you purchase it, you might be able to get the 600w psu for less than the 500w. A week ago you could, not now though. Other than a little iffiness on the motherboard, I don't see anything wrong with your current build. Maybe go with the: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z77pro3 for just shy of 88 dollars?
  8. Swordkd said:
    Honestly, running at that resolution you won't notice a difference between video cards. Those cards would provide good framerates at 1920x1080, let alone 1024x768. I'm sure you will eventually upgrade to a nicer monitor, but by then you might be due for a new vid. card anyways.

Depending on when exactly you purchase it, you might be able to get the 600w psu for less than the 500w. A week ago you could, not now though. Other than a little iffiness on the motherboard, I don't see anything wrong with your current build. Maybe go with the: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z77pro3 for just shy of 88 dollars?

Alright, thanks for the info.

I was looking for other mobos like 5 mins ago and found that one. I'll go for it. And I might go for the 3570K then since it's a z77 chipset and I could overclock then. And I guess I'll stick to the 7870?
  9. Noob12 said:
    Think the Intel xeon 1230V2 is wery cheap in microcenter :)
    Here you go: http://www.microcenter.com/product/400271/Xeon_E3_1230V2_33GHz_LGA_1155_Boxed_Processor
    That 500w PSU is good. No real reason to take bigger. I just want to make absolutely "bullet proof" and expensive machines.

Too much saving is not good. Ending up bad MoBo and other stuff too.

He doesn't have access to a Microcenter. And besides, why would you recommend a Xeon over an i5 3570k that also costs more money?

Also, I like the HiS brand video cards. My wife has a 5770, and I have a 6870 both by HiS.
  10. Obliteration said:
    Alright, thanks for the info.

I was looking for other mobos like 5 mins ago and found that one. I'll go for it. And I might go for the 3570K then since it's a z77 chipset and I could overclock then. And I guess I'll stick to the 7870?

If you decide to get the 3570k cpu, spring the extra money and get the Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler. It's 25 dollars or so, and it will definitely keep your cpu cool enough for a minor overclock. I wouldn't recommend contemplating doing any overclocking on the stock cooler. With how easy it is to overclock now, I don't see any reason not to try it to some degree.
  11. Sounds good.
  12. Noob12 said:
    If you take a xeon. Its as fast as 3770. I think that overclock good but. You need better MoBo and cooler. Then you make full benefit of overclocking. Xeon is like i7 for price i5. It is the bang of buck cpu at the moment. Look CPU Value (CPU Mark / $Price )
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1230+V2+%40+3.30GHz
    Also HIS has not so good coolers in GPU asus and gigabyte are making best coolers to video cards.
    I do not mind if you go for HIS. I just think that you need to know the facts :)

I assume you are talking about v2 of the Xeon. For applications that would generally favor an i7 over an i5, that Xeon is a great chip. However, it's per core performance lags behind a 3570k, so for gaming it's an inferior chip for 20 dollars more or so.
  13. Also, I'm not going big on the CPU. I'm mainly gaming on it. And don't they say to go double on the GPU then on the CPU?
  14. I looked at the parts on pcpartpicker, and you were over your budget by 132 dollars before the MiR's kicked in. I'd just go for your original build, maybe upgrading the motherboard to go with a better used chipset(z77). That will still get you under your budget. You could also go with http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h77m , 70 dollars overall, h77 chipset. You don't get the overclocking options, but with the 3470 cpu, you don't need them. Only 2 ram slots, but you only want 8gb's of Ram anyways. Even if you went up to 16gb's, you'd only be using two 8gb sticks. I haven't used more than 2 slots in 14 years.

Take the extra money in your budget and see if you can squeeze in a 7950, or put it towards a decent 22" + monitor.
  15. Swordkd said:
    I looked at the parts on pcpartpicker, and you were over your budget by 132 dollars before the MiR's kicked in. I'd just go for your original build, maybe upgrading the motherboard to go with a better used chipset(z77). That will still get you under your budget. You could also go with http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h77m , 70 dollars overall, h77 chipset. You don't get the overclocking options, but with the 3470 cpu, you don't need them. Only 2 ram slots, but you only want 8gb's of Ram anyways. Even if you went up to 16gb's, you'd only be using two 8gb sticks. I haven't used more than 2 slots in 14 years.

Take the extra money in your budget and see if you can squeeze in a 7950, or put it towards a decent 22" + monitor.

Updated first post with new parts. Without the GPU, the total is $414, so I can probably fit in a HD 7950, or GTX 660 Ti
  16. Sounds good. With a http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003522l your overall total is 694 dollars, after all applicable MiRs. That build will last you quite a while I think.
  17. Swordkd said:
    Sounds good. With a http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003522l your overall total is 694 dollars, after all applicable MiRs. That build will last you quite a while I think.

Ok. So I have a friend in the US which I can ship it too. But I need to know if NewEgg accepts international credit cards?
  18. Call up their customer support, or have your friend do so. They have really solid customer service and it's my preferred site for buying tech online.
  19. Just thought to check on one thing. RAM. You need to swap out what you have for a 1.5v kit. The 1.65 kits will void the warranty on the Ivy Bridge cpu's. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9b Edited because I hit the wrong options on partpicker. About the same price. You do NOT want to use a 1.65v kit. I'm sorry about that oversight. Partpicker had it listed as a 1.5v kit, Amazon listed it as 1.65v. I wouldn't take any chances. The one I linked is listed as 1.5v on both sites.
  20. Alright. I swapped the Patriot one for the Corsair one you listed. Thanks a lot for informing me on that. Also, the 7870 says it requires a minimum of 500 watt. I have an exact 500 watt in my build. It's certified bronze, though. So will it be okay?
  21. Yeah. The rest of your system doesn't draw a lot of power anyways, and the psu you have listed is a good one. I wouldn't worry about it. The card takes two 6 pin pci-e power connections, your psu has exactly that, so no worries there.
  22. Alright. And since I have a low resolution, no need to go for anything stronger then the 7870, right?How about the 660 Ti? And how's the FX-8350 compared to the i5 3470?
  23. Best answer
    Right. There really isn't any reason to go beyond the 7870 if you are only gaming at 1368x768 or so. Eventually you'll want to move to a 1920x1080 resolution monitor or tv, so that would be the reason to hedge your bets with a 7950 vid. card.

The 8350fx isn't a bad cpu, but for games the 3470 will simply beat it across the board. Where you see an advantage for Amd is any task that you'd normally see handled by an I7 Intel Cpu. Amd can do near as good, or better for quite a bit less there.

If you have read this month's Tom's guide to best video cards for X amount of money, you'll have seen that between 165 to 310 dollars Amd gets the nod over nVidia at the various price points. I'd stick with the Radeon card myself, but the 660ti is not a bad card at all, and might even do better depending on the game. Once again though, gaming at 720p shouldn't stress either card to badly even on ultra settings.
  24. Best answer selected by Obliteration.
  25. Ok thanks. I'll just go for the 7870 and hopefully it lasts me like 3 months at least. And I'll just pick 3470 too, since it's cheaper anyways. Heck, maybe I'll even throw in a 3570K and a z77 chipset motherboard. Anyways, thanks a lot for the help. Appreciate it!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Amazon Systems Product