Accidently uninstalled DirectDraw! Help!

I had errors with starting my games lately, such as the Sims2 and Ragnarok
Online. But I had no problems a few mnoths ago when starting games like these.

My Nvidia GeForce 420 graphics unit isn't obsolete, and supposedly I've
installed DirectX 9.0c. However, when I run DxDiag, I find that my computer
is missing DirectDraw and Direct3D! I think I must have uninstalled them by
accident.

I absolutely am having a hard time finding any sort of help on what to do
with this issue. Is there any way I can possibly get DirectDraw and Direct3D
back onto my computer? Is there a place when I can download the files again?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Nyewy,

Try the complete Installation Package for DX 9.0c:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413&displaylang=en

Let me know if you have any problems. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Nyewy" <Nyewy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89BDDCA8-8850-44EC-94CE-5585376BCFE6@microsoft.com...
>I had errors with starting my games lately, such as the Sims2 and Ragnarok
> Online. But I had no problems a few mnoths ago when starting games like these.
>
> My Nvidia GeForce 420 graphics unit isn't obsolete, and supposedly I've
> installed DirectX 9.0c. However, when I run DxDiag, I find that my computer
> is missing DirectDraw and Direct3D! I think I must have uninstalled them by
> accident.
>
> I absolutely am having a hard time finding any sort of help on what to do
> with this issue. Is there any way I can possibly get DirectDraw and Direct3D
> back onto my computer? Is there a place when I can download the files again?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, I really don't know where to place it, as it prompts me to
save the fiels to a directory after I've downloaded the file. The field is
blank, so I really do not know where to begin. I put them in the
programs/directx/ folder, but nothing has improved yet. =/ Could you please
give me a ltitle more advice on this?

Thank you so much!

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Nyewy,
>
> Try the complete Installation Package for DX 9.0c:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413&displaylang=en
>
> Let me know if you have any problems. :)
>

> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Nyewy" <Nyewy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89BDDCA8-8850-44EC-94CE-5585376BCFE6@microsoft.com...
> >I had errors with starting my games lately, such as the Sims2 and Ragnarok
> > Online. But I had no problems a few mnoths ago when starting games like these.
> >
> > My Nvidia GeForce 420 graphics unit isn't obsolete, and supposedly I've
> > installed DirectX 9.0c. However, when I run DxDiag, I find that my computer
> > is missing DirectDraw and Direct3D! I think I must have uninstalled them by
> > accident.
> >
> > I absolutely am having a hard time finding any sort of help on what to do
> > with this issue. Is there any way I can possibly get DirectDraw and Direct3D
> > back onto my computer? Is there a place when I can download the files again?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Save the .exe file to your desktop and once the download is complete
you can then double click that setup file to install DirectX.

--

"Nyewy" <Nyewy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8B180A2-AD0F-4B44-89B2-F87AC77971CF@microsoft.com...
> Unfortunately, I really don't know where to place it, as it prompts me to
> save the fiels to a directory after I've downloaded the file. The field is
> blank, so I really do not know where to begin. I put them in the
> programs/directx/ folder, but nothing has improved yet. =/ Could you please
> give me a ltitle more advice on this?
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Nyewy,
>>
>> Try the complete Installation Package for DX 9.0c:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413&displaylang=en
>>
>> Let me know if you have any problems. :)
>>

>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
>> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
>>
>> "Nyewy" <Nyewy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89BDDCA8-8850-44EC-94CE-5585376BCFE6@microsoft.com...
>> >I had errors with starting my games lately, such as the Sims2 and Ragnarok
>> > Online. But I had no problems a few mnoths ago when starting games like these.
>> >
>> > My Nvidia GeForce 420 graphics unit isn't obsolete, and supposedly I've
>> > installed DirectX 9.0c. However, when I run DxDiag, I find that my computer
>> > is missing DirectDraw and Direct3D! I think I must have uninstalled them by
>> > accident.
>> >
>> > I absolutely am having a hard time finding any sort of help on what to do
>> > with this issue. Is there any way I can possibly get DirectDraw and Direct3D
>> > back onto my computer? Is there a place when I can download the files again?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!

Yes, I saved and ran the file before, but I meant when I do run setup, and I
accept the terms of agreement, a box pops up that prompts me to "Please type
the location where you want to place the extracted files." But, I do not know
where to direct the setup to install the files to. Could you tell me where
the appropriate location is?

Thanks for your time still. ^^;

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Save the .exe file to your desktop and once the download is complete
> you can then double click that setup file to install DirectX.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Nyewy" <Nyewy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8B180A2-AD0F-4B44-89B2-F87AC77971CF@microsoft.com...
> > Unfortunately, I really don't know where to place it, as it prompts me to
> > save the fiels to a directory after I've downloaded the file. The field is
> > blank, so I really do not know where to begin. I put them in the
> > programs/directx/ folder, but nothing has improved yet. =/ Could you please
> > give me a ltitle more advice on this?
> >
> > Thank you so much!
> >
> > "Jimmy S." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Nyewy,
> >>
> >> Try the complete Installation Package for DX 9.0c:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413&displaylang=en
> >>
> >> Let me know if you have any problems. :)
> >>

> >> --
> >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> >> _________________________________________________________

Hi Nyewy,

To be on the safe side, create a folder named TEMP on your
desktop and instruct it to extract the files there. Most likely it
will use that as a working directory to extract the files before
installing DirectX into it's proper location in C:\Windows.

Make sense? ;-)

--

"Nyewy" <Nyewy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05B6D8BA-D36B-40F5-AE9F-211475398D00@microsoft.com...
> Yes, I saved and ran the file before, but I meant when I do run setup, and I
> accept the terms of agreement, a box pops up that prompts me to "Please type
> the location where you want to place the extracted files." But, I do not know
> where to direct the setup to install the files to. Could you tell me where
> the appropriate location is?
>
> Thanks for your time still. ^^;
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Save the .exe file to your desktop and once the download is complete
>> you can then double click that setup file to install DirectX.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
>> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
>>
>> "Nyewy" <Nyewy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8B180A2-AD0F-4B44-89B2-F87AC77971CF@microsoft.com...
>> > Unfortunately, I really don't know where to place it, as it prompts me to
>> > save the fiels to a directory after I've downloaded the file. The field is
>> > blank, so I really do not know where to begin. I put them in the
>> > programs/directx/ folder, but nothing has improved yet. =/ Could you please
>> > give me a ltitle more advice on this?
>> >
>> > Thank you so much!

Alright, I've created the temp folder, extracted the files to it, and
installed DirectX accordingly. However, my game still does not begin
whatsoever, and whenever i run DxDiag, I still see that DirectDraw is "not
available" though I can run diagnostic tests (which pass fine), as well as
Direct3D being "not avaible", and the option to run diagnostics tests on that
is not possible.

On th etoher hand, the front page of DxDiag shows that DirectX9.0c is
installed, and that I have the latest driver for my Nvidia GeForce 420.

Should i save my DxDiag settings so you could possibly take a look at them?
And I recently read that when installing Nvidia drivers, any virus
protectetion should be off--though I isntalled it with Norton Auto-Protect on
unawaringly. Should i try this again?

Thanks again~

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:53:03 -0800, Nyewy wrote:

> Alright, I've created the temp folder, extracted the files to it, and
> installed DirectX accordingly. However, my game still does not begin
> whatsoever, and whenever i run DxDiag, I still see that DirectDraw is "not
> available" though I can run diagnostic tests (which pass fine), as well as
> Direct3D being "not avaible", and the option to run diagnostics tests on that
> is not possible.
>
> On th etoher hand, the front page of DxDiag shows that DirectX9.0c is
> installed, and that I have the latest driver for my Nvidia GeForce 420.
>
> Should i save my DxDiag settings so you could possibly take a look at them?
> And I recently read that when installing Nvidia drivers, any virus
> protectetion should be off--though I isntalled it with Norton Auto-Protect on
> unawaringly. Should i try this again?

Norton auto-protect generally creates more problems than it is supposed to
protect from, I'd remove this piece of software then remove the video
drivers via the XP control panel applet and re-install those drivers, DX
seems fine but not the video drivers...

Install the drivers from safe mode without network connection so no other
part of Norton like the AV interferes, what else did change on this system
since the games worked fine? Which other program/drivers did you install
since then? Did you try updating/re-installing the motherboard drivers?

All the Best
Katy Pluta