WIN32 APPLICATION

I just installed The Sims 1 and when i click on the exe..i get an error ( not
a valid win32 application).
The files arent corrupt because they are right off my CD and played fine on
my old computer with Win 98.
Is there a fix that i can download or maybe an alternate exe?

PLEASE HELP ME

Sheree
5 answers Last reply
More about win32 application

    Run it in compatibility mode.

    "SHEREE" <SHEREE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just installed The Sims 1 and when i click on the exe..i get an error (
    >not
    > a valid win32 application).
    > The files arent corrupt because they are right off my CD and played fine
    > on
    > my old computer with Win 98.
    > Is there a fix that i can download or maybe an alternate exe?
    >
    > PLEASE HELP ME
    >
    > Sheree

    Hi Sheree,

    Try installing and playing that using 95/98 Compatibility mode.

    To install a program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode, hold
    down SHIFT as you insert the game CD, use My Computer to browse
    to the setup program, and then skip down to step 1 in the list below:

    To run an installed program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode,
    first right click the program and "Send To..." / Desktop (create shortcut).

    1.. Right click on the shortcut to the program.
    2.. Click on Properties.
    3.. Click on the Compatibility tab.
    4.. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
    a.. Windows 95
    b.. Windows 98
    c.. Windows NT 4
    d.. Windows 2000
    5.. Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is best:
    a.. Run in 256 colors.
    b.. Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
    c.. Disable visual themes.

    Click on Apply.Click on Ok.Double click on the program.

    Of course, let's not forget to check for any patches or updates for that game.
    A good place to find them is: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    If you'd like to learn more information about compatibility mode, you can click the
    link in the Compatibility tab that reads "Learn more about program compatibility",
    or watch this Application Compatibility Power Point Presentation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc112202/WC112202.ppt

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "SHEREE" <SHEREE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06D4D85F-EE43-4405-843D-3FF2A1391821@microsoft.com...
    | I just installed The Sims 1 and when i click on the exe..i get an error ( not
    | a valid win32 application).
    | The files arent corrupt because they are right off my CD and played fine on
    | my old computer with Win 98.
    | Is there a fix that i can download or maybe an alternate exe?
    |
    | PLEASE HELP ME
    |
    | Sheree

    I have the same problem. One computer will run it in compatabilty mode
    though another won't. I don't get it. I have the same version of XP loaded.
    Any able to shed MORE light on the subject? Especially since almost all my
    games seem to be still from 98 (I bought a lot then couldn't play for a while
    it seems.. LOL)

    Arlene
  4. i did as u wrote exactelly
    but ... it is still the same .. nothing good , same mesage appers to me about the win 32 application .. is there is any software i can download to help me solve this silly proplem ... by the way this game is fifa 98 i know it is old game but i like it and when i changed my windows from 98 to windows xp service back 2 the game is not working ...
    wait for ur reply as soon as possible if you plz ..

    mohamed hosny
    bryan_anderson_406@yahoo.com
    www.mohamedhosny.7p.com
  5. i too have same prob
    i have prince of persia sands of time
    i played i completed
    but i uninstalled
    again wen i want to install it came setup.exe is not win 32 application

Win32 Microsoft Windows XP