What graphics card can my laptop get?

metsboy22

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I have a Compaq Presario CQ57. It as a AMD Radeon HD 6520. I found a better graphics card for it (AMD Radeon HD 7970M for $450) and was wondering if i can install that into it. If not please tell me why. and if i cant, can someone please help me find a graphics card for it under $600 that can play Arma 2: Dayz and Battlefield 3. I also dont know alot about computers. Someone also told me that it would need a new motherboard, but i dont know what that is. Any help is appreciated.

I really doubt you can install that HD 7970m. The vast majority of laptops have the graphic chip soldered into the motherboard. Laptops that can potentially be upgrade are gaming laptops to begin with and usually start at $1,500+.

Those gaming laptops may have an MXM slot (types I, II, III; the higher the type the thicker the card) which can be used to install a MXM format graphic card as long as the slot is big enough for the card. The Radeon HD 7970 is a type III card. Even some gaming laptops with MXM slots will have the graphic card soldering in so that no upgrade is possible.

There's no way in hell will a budget oriented laptop like the Compaq Presario CQ57 will have a MXM slot in it.