GTX 670 FTW vs GTX 680?

thebattalion

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I've been debating this for weeks, and I just don't know what to pick. I heard the GTX 670 FTW is basically a vanilla 680 with a few less processors or something, but im building a gaming pc so I dont know which card to get. I want to have a steady 60 frames when i Play games on ultra settings so which one do I get? And if possible, could you attach a benchmark picture of the two for FPS?

+1 i agree with him.

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

"I want to have a steady 60 frames when i Play games on ultra settings so which one do I get?"

With that being said go with the GTX 680 it's faster.

1920 x 1080 Well i have sli now and 120hz monitor so it would not apply to a typical setup i have no way to prove this now without going out of my way which i am not willing to go through the hassle.I believe i saved some notes i will look for them and get back to you. EDIT- Found when i had just one 670 i ran BF3 on Graphics preset: Ultra (using all defaults included in that preset) my fps drops to about 40~50 from time to time. Average 60~70 Core: 1325Mhz / Mem: 3557MHz (stable in heaven)
If I increase the core offset, I can reach about 1350MHz on core in 3dmark 11 but heaven crashes some times. (I didn't do it for those tests)

In AB:
Core Voltage: +0mV
Power Limit: 114% (Max)
Core Clock: +97Mhz (I'll tweak that higher later if I can)
Memory Clock: +550Mhz

All my tests passed under 62°c (~59 average)

alarinn

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I swapped out my 560ti for a 7950 and although the 7950 blew the nvidia card off the map it did it with a few caveats. First, Gigabyte pulled a Lucy when they introduced a new revision to the card late 2012 which locked the voltage. I can't blame AMD for that. What really made me want to put in my 560ti are the crashes or anomalies. Almost every game I play has a quirk with this card - Rift artifacts about an hour of playing, LOTRO crashes/locks up intermittently, Hitman BSOD occasionally. The list goes on and on with the only game not glitching being Defiance. It got better with the latest drivers.

My issue is this card has been out for over a year and the drivers still suck. My 560 ti hardly ever glitched and it did only at the end due to a fan going out on the MSI Frozn III everyone knows about. All sensors looked good and I wasn't even OCing tha card (and because of the latest revision of the card, I couldn't get even a sliver of an OC without all kinds of artifacts and crashes).

I've packaged this guy up and put it on Ebay for $100 and took it and got a 670 4GB and man what a difference.

Sorry to not being clear.....I traded my nvidia card for an AMD and paid for it in crappy drivers. AMD might put out cheaper cards but I find nvidia does a far better job of writing drivers. Since I'm past my warranty period, I'm out the $320 or so I paid for the 7950 when I could have added just a few bucks more and got a 670. I'm hoping someone avoids that by taking my feedback into consideration.