Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will a pentium g620 bottleneck a gtx 550ti?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 26, 2013 10:49:04 AM


Case - Antec 300
Motherboard - Gigabyte B75M-D3H
CPU - Intel G620 Dual Core 2.6ghz
GPU - Asus GTX 550ti
Memory - 4gb 1333mhz DDR3
Hard Drive - 500Gb
Power Supply - 600w Thermaltake
Optical Drive - LG dvd burner

I can get this computer off a guy for $220, should I do it? He says its 4 months old. And I admit for $220 I am tempted as all hell.

My main concern is that a g20 may limit the gtx 550ti's performance? How would games like BF3 metro 2033 play?

I can also go out of my way and buy some 8 gb 1600 mhz ram if need be as well.
January 26, 2013 11:41:05 AM

No, I doubt it'll be a bottleneck.
Sandy Bridge architecture is still pretty powerful.

I heard Pentium CPUs tend to cause stuttering a lot though.

As for Metro 2033, the 550 Ti doesn't have enough power for high-ultra settings @ 1920x1080.

Medium settings is possible, but I think you'll need to turn on PhysX to get decent performance.

m
0
l
January 26, 2013 1:20:11 PM

Also, no need to buy 1600 MHz memory. That processor won't support that speed.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 27, 2013 1:14:47 AM

The processor doesn't choose memory frequency though, the motherboard does. The ones listed in the processor specs are only what they tested it with.

Though I agree, if this is a budget build, don't bother. If you want, you can just buy another 4gb RAM @ 1333MHz and run it in dual-channel with your current one.

Unless of course, the one you have is actually a 2x2gb RAM kit?
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 2:41:31 AM

Id go with 1600mhz. Because its what? about the same price and works like 1333mhz if the mobo/cpu doesn't support 1600mhz. If he upgrades his mobo or cpu he can use the same ran and run it at 1600mhz.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 2:47:50 AM

blake, I agree. but from my understanding he's buying an already built PC, and replacing the 1333 MHz RAM. and excella, that's incredibly possible. I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. Doesn't it just throttle it down? I've got a G860 and I'm pretty sure my 1600MHz RAM is running at 1333 MHz.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 2:51:22 AM

chain220 said:
blake, I agree. but from my understanding he's buying an already built PC, and replacing the 1333 MHz RAM. and excella, that's incredibly possible. I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. Doesn't it just throttle it down? I've got a G860 and I'm pretty sure my 1600MHz RAM is running at 1333 MHz.

I also have a G860 running at only 1333mhz. But when i throw in a 3470 sooner or later, its gonna run at 1600mhz :p 
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 2:56:29 AM

Right. Same here. That's exactly what I plan on doing, and that makes sense. In which case I stand by what I said earlier. There's no need for him to replace the RAM he's got at the moment. If he upgrades the CPU in the future, upgrade the RAM with it.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 6:42:17 AM

chain220 said:
blake, I agree. but from my understanding he's buying an already built PC, and replacing the 1333 MHz RAM. and excella, that's incredibly possible. I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. Doesn't it just throttle it down? I've got a G860 and I'm pretty sure my 1600MHz RAM is running at 1333 MHz.

Go into the BIOS, and set RAM profile to XMP.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 7:34:33 AM

blake1243 said:
Id go with 1600mhz. Because its what? about the same price and works like 1333mhz if the mobo/cpu doesn't support 1600mhz. If he upgrades his mobo or cpu he can use the same ran and run it at 1600mhz.


chain220 said:
Right. Same here. That's exactly what I plan on doing, and that makes sense. In which case I stand by what I said earlier. There's no need for him to replace the RAM he's got at the moment. If he upgrades the CPU in the future, upgrade the RAM with it.


you dont have to upgrade cpu to be able to upgrade RAM.
hes motherboard perfectly takes 1600 ram so if he wants to do it he can go ahead and do it :) 
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 11:29:41 AM

frzlr said:
you dont have to upgrade cpu to be able to upgrade RAM.
hes motherboard perfectly takes 1600 ram so if he wants to do it he can go ahead and do it :) 

Thanks for quoting me and then telling the OP exactly what i was trying to tell him. And you are sadly wrong that NO, he cannot run 1600mhz ram if the CPU only supports 1333mhz. The ram will work just fine, it will just be underclocked to 1333mhz.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 11:51:01 AM

^ No.

I will reiterate:
"The processor doesn't choose memory frequency though, the motherboard does. The ones listed in the processor specs are only what they tested it with."

If what you're saying is true, then we wouldn't be seeing any RAM running at 1866, 2100, 2133, 2400MHz being sold in stores or manufactured.

If the computer doesn't configure the RAM to the advertised specifications if you plug it in, all you need to do is go into the BIOS and either set the timings manually, or set memory profile to XMP(if you're on an Intel system).
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 12:17:49 PM

excella1221 said:
^ No.

I will reiterate:
"The processor doesn't choose memory frequency though, the motherboard does. The ones listed in the processor specs are only what they tested it with."

If what you're saying is true, then we wouldn't be seeing any RAM running at 1866, 2100, 2133, 2400MHz being sold in stores or manufactured.

If the computer doesn't configure the RAM to the advertised specifications if you plug it in, all you need to do is go into the BIOS and either set the timings manually, or set memory profile to XMP(if you're on an Intel system).

I don't know if your quoting me... but i never said that. You guys are getting all picky about everything being said. THE 1600MHZ RAM CAN BE HAD FOR THE SAME PRICE, BUT IF YOU ALREADY HAVE 1333MHZ RAM, NO NEED TO UPGRADE. Sorry for the caps, but come on people.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 12:22:51 PM

I was replying to this:

blake1243 said:
And you are sadly wrong that NO, he cannot run 1600mhz ram if the CPU only supports 1333mhz. The ram will work just fine, it will just be underclocked to 1333mhz.

m
0
l

Best solution

January 27, 2013 12:26:35 PM

old but may come handy
http://m.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-870-1156,2482...

g620 may bottleneck but in some cases/games , you can overclock it to 2.7-2.8ghz using baseclock
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/406

it is a good deal, you should go for it and you can put i3-3220 or higher to get more performance in cpu bound games
Share
January 27, 2013 12:28:23 PM

excella1221 said:
I was replying to this:

Obviously if he has a cheap motherboard, it ill run at the cpu's default.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 12:34:52 PM

No offense, but now you're just being irrational.
Even high-end motherboards have a chance to do that.

And like I said, I was replying to that seemingly definite statement of yours that "he cannot run 1600MHz" 'cause of the CPU limitation.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 5:43:30 PM

excella1221 said:
No offense, but now you're just being irrational.
Even high-end motherboards have a chance to do that.

And like I said, I was replying to that seemingly definite statement of yours that "he cannot run 1600MHz" 'cause of the CPU limitation.

I don't like arguing. Chances are, his 1600mhz ram WILL run at 1333mhz. I don't think there is any reason to continue the argument.
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 4:31:58 AM

Best answer selected by harlemheat.
m
0
l
!