Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Advice on Gaming GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2012 2:08:34 AM

So basically I'm in the process of upgrading my PC. I already have a new AMD FX-4100 CPU and a Gigabyte 990FXA-D3 mobo. They're the first part of my upgrade, but now I'm torn on what video card I should get.

I'm new to PC building, but fortunately everything went smoothly with installing my first upgrades, which is always a good thing :p  and what can I say, I think I'm hooked!! So here's what I need:

I'm looking to get a GPU that is sturdy and robust, and can handle high ambient temperatures (I live in South Australia and some days get to 40 degrees celcius+, no aircon) and also need something that can run games like WoW and Diablo 3 on High+ settings. I'm also looking to live stream gameplay in 720p minimum. Other than that, my PC doesn't get used for much else except for multitasking in my browser and writing. A video card that can get some overclocking done on the stock cooler would be a bonus.

I'm looking to spend around $220AU, and would preferably be buying the parts from mwave.com.au (newegg doesn't post to Australia).

I have read around the forums and youtubed reviews and such, but it's so hard to decide when I upgrading from an old Gigabyte Geforce 8600GT, practically all the video cards look better than what I have now :lol: 

Much thanks in advance for any help you guys can give :) 

~Matthew

More about : advice gaming gpu

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 3:08:33 AM

Strickens said:
So basically I'm in the process of upgrading my PC. I already have a new AMD FX-4100 CPU and a Gigabyte 990FXA-D3 mobo. They're the first part of my upgrade, but now I'm torn on what video card I should get.

I'm new to PC building, but fortunately everything went smoothly with installing my first upgrades, which is always a good thing :p  and what can I say, I think I'm hooked!! So here's what I need:

I'm looking to get a GPU that is sturdy and robust, and can handle high ambient temperatures (I live in South Australia and some days get to 40 degrees celcius+, no aircon) and also need something that can run games like WoW and Diablo 3 on High+ settings. I'm also looking to live stream gameplay in 720p minimum. Other than that, my PC doesn't get used for much else except for multitasking in my browser and writing. A video card that can get some overclocking done on the stock cooler would be a bonus.

I'm looking to spend around $220AU, and would preferably be buying the parts from mwave.com.au (newegg doesn't post to Australia).

I have read around the forums and youtubed reviews and such, but it's so hard to decide when I upgrading from an old Gigabyte Geforce 8600GT, practically all the video cards look better than what I have now :lol: 

Much thanks in advance for any help you guys can give :) 

~Matthew

Get this 7870:

http://www.mwave.com.au/searchresult/7870/view-20/sorti...

Adding $10 to your budget will greatly increase your performance. Btw I'm surprised how close the prices are to the US ones...
Related resources
December 11, 2012 4:34:22 AM

The 7870 and the 7750 are part of the few that made my short list, although I think I've made my decision in going with the 7870 ^_^

The chart you linked was actually really helpful, it was nice seeing all the benchmark results for all the different video cards in a little graph like that. In the long run I think the 7870 will be a better investment, as it will give me head room if I do decide to try out some more GPU intensive games.

Yeah, I was surprised by the prices being so similar too, considering most things here in Australia we get overcharged to compared to the USA. Xbox 360 games for example, I see running for an average of around $20 more than what they sell for on US sites (and this is even with the AU dollar being so close to matching the US dollar).
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 4:55:04 AM

Strickens said:
The 7870 and the 7750 are part of the few that made my short list, although I think I've made my decision in going with the 7870 ^_^

The chart you linked was actually really helpful, it was nice seeing all the benchmark results for all the different video cards in a little graph like that. In the long run I think the 7870 will be a better investment, as it will give me head room if I do decide to try out some more GPU intensive games.

Yeah, I was surprised by the prices being so similar too, considering most things here in Australia we get overcharged to compared to the USA. Xbox 360 games for example, I see running for an average of around $20 more than what they sell for on US sites (and this is even with the AU dollar being so close to matching the US dollar).

I just heard the consoles and games were crazy overpriced. Like that new releases are $100 and consoles were double the price...
December 11, 2012 5:08:59 AM

CaptainTom said:
I just heard the consoles and games were crazy overpriced. Like that new releases are $100 and consoles were double the price...

Yep :sarcastic:  depending on the title. For example when Gears of War 3 first came out it was $89 at EB Games. However if you're lucky, sometimes Big W (similar to walmart) sells new releases for around $20 cheaper than EB Games :lol:  and to buy a brand new Kinect it's $188 (though I think the price has come down recently).

It's the main reason I'm starting to turn more to wanting to game on my PC. Digital downloads and Steam sales.... man I've been missing out :p 
December 11, 2012 5:10:00 AM

Best answer selected by Strickens.
!