Windows stuck in loading up after thunderstorm

minibyte

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello,

I'm in the Midwest and thunderstorms are quite common out in this area. To protect my computer from power surges, I turn off BOTH my computer and the power supply. Then I unplug the surge protector from the socket which the computer and other peripherals are attached to.

However, this morning when I plugged back the surge protector, turned on the PSU and then computer, Windows gave me a message the there was no virtual disk and then it went to a blank screen and got stuck there.

To fix it, I just powered off the computer and powered it back on again, and it rebooted quickly as usual. But I find the issue a bit odd. Do any of you know what the problem was? Was it because I should have given it more time after turning the power supply on, and then turning the computer back on?

I'd rather not turn off/unplug my computer so frequently because I don't think that is good either, but it's better than letting lightning "strike it." I am so careful that I watch the thunderstorm online map everday and pay attention to the weather :)